Author Topic: Monkey Punch has passed away  (Read 10224 times)

JAG2045

• Part of the Gang
Monkey Punch has passed away
« on: April 16, 2019, 02:09:48 pm »
According to Comicbook.com (reporting from Yahoo Japan) Lupin III creator Monkey Punch has passed away at age 81 following a battle with pneumonia

https://comicbook.com/anime/2019/04/16/lupin-the-3rd-creator-monkey-punch-dies-anime/

Very sad to hear this  :'(

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
Re: Monkey Punch has passed away
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 02:31:30 pm »
This is not how I wanted to start my day. Damn. Rest in peace and thanks for giving us the wonderful gift that is Lupin III.

Lupus Zeniga

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 03:43:18 pm »
RIP to Monkey Punch, aka Kazuhiko Kato, the creator of Lupin III, a master thief and one of anime's iconic heroes. And not just Lupin, he created a memorable cast in Fujiko Mine (still one of anime's hottest women), Daisuke Jigen and Goemon Ishikawa (master shooter and swordsman) and Inspector Zenigata (a great foil/rival to Lupin).

Thank you sir for creating an action adventure saga that was fun and had a lot of twists and enabled a lot of great animation (Miyazaki, Imaishi, Dezaki and many other Japanese animators worked on Lupin in their early years).

Thank you very much sir.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 10:10:54 am »
Kotaku tribute. R.I.P. Might as well mention that other Monkey Punch anime on Crunchyroll, too, Roman, and help out DT, by bringing up Cinderellla Boy being on home vid here, too. Be sure to let Dale know, too, because I don’t keep up with social media anymore.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 10:18:28 am by GATSU »

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 10:20:13 am »
Man, when it rains, it pours. I hope there’s no coming in threes-no pun intended-but that’s definitely a one true Goemon story pairing averted. R.I.P. Lone Wolf and Cub guy, too.

Lupus Zeniga

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 07:52:33 am »
Tributes from the Lupin III cast.

"It has been over 20 years since I, who had no voice acting experience back then, was given the important 'Lupin The Third' from Sensei. Since the first time we met, you had been always with a smile, gentle, calm, and warm. In the days of endless anxiety and pressure, I was saved by Sensei, who treated me with a smile. I felt protected with your word, 'Don't worry about anything.' I will keep the memory of several visits to your home town Hamanaka-cho (in Hokkaido) with you as a precious treasure only for myself. I am really thankful to you. May you rest in peace."
Kanichi Kurita

"Monkey Punch, Kazuhiko Kato-san. You were the parents who raised me, 'Actor Kiyoshi Kobayashi,' and also my war buddies. Speaking of war buddies, there are people I cannot forget: Yasuo Yamada, Goro Naya, Eiko Masuyama, and Makio Inoue. All of them were my buddies who had lived in the Lupin The Third world created by Kazuhiko Kato. Let me play in this fascinating Lupin world with my current buddies, including Kanichi Kurita, and the people who are involved in Lupin The Third, for a little more while, please. I am really thankful to you. May you rest in peace."
Kiyoshi Kobayashi

"The death of the leading figure in the manga/anime world gives me a feeling of 'The giant star is lost.'"
Makio Inoue

"When I was almost crushed by pressure, 'It was good.' When I was fighting against anxiety, wondering if it was good, 'It was wonderful.' When I became nervous because I went too far at an event, 'It is so fun that I want to keep watching.' Sensei always solved anything with one word. He loved and was curious about new things. By just being around, he was able to create lovely and healing atmosphere, making everyone smile so naturally. I want to talk to him again, like we did in Hamanaka-cho. For now, I will keep doing my best to colorize the world he created most beautifully. I am so appreccite it. I would like to offer my deepest sympathies."
Daisuke Namikawa

"For an actor, encounters with works are everything. I am grateful to Monkey Punch-sensei that I was able to meet Fujiko Mine, which became my treasure."
Eiko Masuyama

"I feel really...really sad that I cannot reply to his forever smile one more time..."
Miyuki Sawashiro

"I am very shocked. When I inherited Inspector Zenigata from Goro Naya-san, I was full of anxiety and pressure. But I clearly remember that I was impressed by very kind words from Sensei. I also had an honor to join the events in his home town, Hamanaka-cho, Hokkaido, several times together. He treated the people in the town and us with a smile all the time, and even willingly agreed to give his autograph for the charity goods, which I suddenly requested. I think that brushing up my skills as voice actor and playing the character Inspector Zenigata that he created with all my efforts is my best repaying for his kindness. Thanks so much. May him rest in peace."
Koichi Yamadera

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2019/04/16-1/lupin-voice-actor-kanichi-kurita-posts-condolence-message-on-passing-of-monkey-punch
https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2019/04/17-1/lupin-the-third-anime-voice-actors-mourn-monkey-punchs-passing
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 07:52:55 am by Lupus Zeniga »

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 03:59:43 pm »
BTW, Koike ironically wrote of MP’s passing. Kind of hoping someone can find a blurb from the Detective Conan guy next. https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-04-19/lone-wolf-and-cub-manga-creator-kazuo-koike-passes-away/.145900

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 05:43:18 pm »
Wow, the story even made NYT and Deadline!

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 05:37:29 pm »
Upcoming tribute to him in his home town, I think. Also, cool tribute from the live-action 2014 film staff.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 05:48:02 pm by GATSU »