Author Topic: Any of the modern tv specials actually worth watching  (Read 300 times)

Shin Lupin Sansei

• Part of the Gang
Any of the modern tv specials actually worth watching
« on: January 02, 2020, 10:40:40 pm »
I fired up Prisoner of the Past tonight and while it had an interesting premise the execution was completely lackluster and I found the whole experience completely banal. I know that, overall, the tv specials are usually more miss than hit. I have nearly all the post-funimation ones but every time I give another one a go I find them absolutely dreadful, especially if compared to Part VI, V, or any of the Koike films. Princess of the Breeze was alright, though it kind of fell apart with the overly-Laputa-esque ending, but other than that almost all the tv specials that came after funimation lost the rights haven't seemed worth my time (and yes, many of the funi ones were meh also). Are there any in particular worth watching? Or are they all just this pointless?

I'm not trying to pick on the series, but compared with the Part IV, V, Koike films, Mamo, Fuma, Cagliostro, DOA, etc the difference is shocking and I don't see the reason TMS churns out a new one every year when it seems there's no inspiration, much left quality craftsmanship, to the work.

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
Re: Any of the modern tv specials actually worth watching
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 11:16:49 pm »
The quality of Part IV, Part V, and Koike's films are shockingly better than the TV specials. I had a little hope for Goodbye Partner, since they haven't made a TV special since 2013, I though maybe they might have learned their lesson. But nope.

My favorite post 2000 TV specials are First Contact, Return the Treasure and Eternal Mermaid. Those are either a little more interesting or a little more visually fun than the others. If you don't care to watch all Lupin entries, you can probably skip them.

VampireNaomi

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 10:11:30 am »
Depends on what you're after, I guess. I find many of the modern TV specials much more entertaining than most of the old ones. I haven't seen Prison of the Past in its entirety, but the scenes I have seen were exactly what I want - fun character interactions. That's why I love The Last Job, too, even though it has a pretty bad reputation.

Lupus Zeniga

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 04:33:29 pm »
I'd say Prisoner of the Past was fun, but I haven't seen Goodbye Partner so I can't judge that.

IMO after 2000, when Lupin ha dreached about 40 years, the TV specials were starting to feel a rehash of the same old "lovable rogue and crew and chasing cop come across a damsel in distress" story. It didn't help that the original cast - Masuyama, Inoue and Kobayashi - were also being affected by their age and two of them had to step down around then.

Koike's Green Jacket revival, with its throwback to Lupin's crew being seriously criminal and the introduction of the new voice cast, truly injected some well-needed renewal into Lupin III. I think that they sort of helped to balance out Lupin's double aspects of his popularity: the fun cheeky entertainer and the tricky treacherous thief.