Author Topic: Soundtrack to new game on CD Japan (updated with small review)  (Read 10288 times)

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
    • Not A Hoax! Not A Dream! (my blog)
Soundtrack to new game on CD Japan (updated with small review)
« on: January 08, 2007, 11:23:45 pm »
Since there's no sub-section for music/cds on the forum, I thought I'd post this here:  I went searching to see if a soundtrack album has been announced for the upcoming Japanese Lupin PS2 game, and sure enough, it's available for pre-order from CD Japan (and, I would assume, other sites as well).  The catalog number is VPCG-84855 and it's due out next month.

Also of note is the fact that Columbia is re-releasing (yet again) the original three Lupin soundtrack albums and the BGM collection from the late 70's.

All these and more can be found by going to CDJapan.com and searching "Yuji Ohno" or by simply following this link:  http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/list_from_code_banner.html?key=233182

Not sure if anyone here besides me is at all interested, but I figured I'd share just in case.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 04:23:36 pm by Fujiko Lover »

Juno_Loire

• NO LONGER HERE
  • [Member]
Soundtrack to new game on CD Japan
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 11:34:55 pm »
Although I haven't bought any of the soundtracks, the L3: Jazz the (number)rst/rd are definitely of my taste. Hopefully this soundtrack will be more than iffy castrated tracks from the TV specials, like Treasure of the Sorcerer King.

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 10:58:56 pm »
Quote from: "Juno_Loire"
Although I haven't bought any of the soundtracks, the L3: Jazz the (number)rst/rd are definitely of my taste. Hopefully this soundtrack will be more than iffy castrated tracks from the TV specials, like Treasure of the Sorcerer King.

Actually, I liked that about the Sorcerer King soundtrack.  It had several all-new pieces composed just for the game, but since Vap published the CD, and they have the rights to all the TV special soundtracks, they were able to include lots of pieces from those as well, adding value to the album.

The soundtrack to the second game, The Inheritance of Columbus is Dyed With Blood, was published by a different company, so all it has are 14 relatively short tracks-- With the exceptions of the opening and ending, none of them are longer than 1:45.

Of course, I'm kind of assuming here, since I never played Columbus, that it also had TV special music mixed in among the new material.  It's entirely possible it didn't.  But if it did, and if this new game follows the trend and does as well, then the new soundtrack might be able to incorporate some of that since it's published once again by Vap.

Juno_Loire

• NO LONGER HERE
  • [Member]
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 11:31:20 pm »
My problem with the original soundtrack, FL, was that the pieces were both short and repetative, IE didn't look well, so you'd have to really look for the timing where they spliced it. Some games do this better than others, and it also depends on how the engine's made, as some games have incredibly dynamic uses of music in accordance with in-game actions.

Anyway, I digress; LIII: TotSK OST was...meh. There were better tracks that could have been picked, and the tracks that were picked should have been longer, so the loop wasn't so bloody obvious (they last something like 30 seconds before looping).

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 12:14:09 am »
Quote from: "Juno_Loire"
Anyway, I digress; LIII: TotSK OST was...meh. There were better tracks that could have been picked, and the tracks that were picked should have been longer, so the loop wasn't so bloody obvious (they last something like 30 seconds before looping).

Well, the actual soundtrack album has the full-length, non-looped versions of all those tunes, so it's not really as bad there.  I will agree that some of the music was ill-chosen when they had such a huge back-catalog to pick from.  But as I said, when combined with the good amount of all-new material (about 20-25 minutes' worth), I think the TV special bgm pieces make a nice bonus "sampler package" for those of us who aren't really interested in buying any of the overly synthesizer-laden soundtracks from the 90s TV specials.

On a side note, what was up with that?  I love Yuji Ohno's Lupin work, but 90% of the music from the 1993-1999 specials sounds exactly the same!  I wonder if they had a lower music budget for those years, forcing him to use that style...

Inspector Zenigata

• Part of the Gang
  • Lupin Doujinshi Collector
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 12:37:47 am »

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 11:00:29 pm »
CD Japan now has the track listing for this soundtrack up.  I ran it through Babelfish and a couple of other online translators and this is what I came up with:

1.   Lupin the Third '79 (2005 new mix)
2.   Ruined Country Town
3.   Dusk Over Ten Thousand Prefecture Capitals
4.   Chinese Mafia
5.   British Hotel in China
6.   Memory of Silver Jewel (piano trio version)
7.   Sweet Room
8.   Nostalgia
9.   The Emperor is Gone Forever
10. Breakthrough
11. Underground Fort
12. The China Rose
13. Zenigata's Theme (play action version)
14. Queen of Dragons
15. The Dawn of New Charisma
16. Zenigata's Theme (hero's version)
17. Zenigata's Theme (last battle version)
18. Happy Ending?
19. Gone With the Wind
20. Memory of Silver Jewel (bossa ending version)
21. Compensation of Error
22. Lost in China
23. Memory of Silver Jewel (ballad ending version)

I don't know how accurate these are, especially tracks 13, 16, and 17.  I know what the kanji for Zenigata looks like, and it's not present in those three titles.  However, when I translate it, the results come back with the word Koichi stuck in there.  I don't know why the CD listings would call him by his first name, though.  Anyone else have any ideas what this says?:

アルセーヌ幸一のテーマ

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 04:59:52 pm »
CD Japan now has audio samples up on their Japanese page:

http://www.neowing.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VPCG-84855

The description says that Yuji Ohno is using classical Japanese instruments for this score, and they sound great-- But you can still tell that it's definitely a Lupin soundtrack.

Tracks 13, 16, and 17 don't seem to be variations of Zenigata's theme as I suggested in my previous post.  They have bits that sound like his bumbling around music though, so I'm still thinking they might be related to him somehow.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 10:44:39 pm »
Quote from: "Fujiko Lover"
アルセーヌ幸一のテーマ

Aruseenu (something)-ichi no Teema
Theme of Arsene (something...maybe "ko"?)-ichi

Don't have a kanji dictionary handy, that's just what I can make of it.
-R. Nelson

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 01:04:25 am »
Quote from: "Lupin the Third"
Quote from: "Fujiko Lover"
アルセーヌ幸一のテーマ

Aruseenu (something)-ichi no Teema
Theme of Arsene (something...maybe "ko"?)-ichi

Don't have a kanji dictionary handy, that's just what I can make of it.

Hmmm... Well, Arsene and Koichi are Lupin and Zenigata's seldom-mentioned first names, right?  And I understand you can play as both of them in this game.  I still don't know how it all adds up, but maybe the game explains it.

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 07:51:40 pm »
Well, the CD arrived today.  I love living in California; regular air mail from Japan only takes about three days.

Anyway, I haven't listened to it yet, but it looks really nice.  The cover uses the second series character designs, as most everything Lupin related does these days, but it almost looks painted.  It's a nice effect.  The back cover has a wide shot of what looks to be a Chinese temple, with a small Yuji Ohno in the foreground, playing the piano as Lupin leans against it.

When you open it, the back of the liner notes and the insert behind the disc itself create a panoramic shot of Hong Kong.  The CD is black with an Asian carpet-like design etched into it.  The same design is prevalent as the background of every page of the liner notes.

The liner notes themselves include the track listing on page one, what I assume is a description of the game on page 2, a bunch of tiny screenshots on page 3, what seems to be information about Yuji Ohno on page 4, and credits on page 5.

There's an insert in the middle advertising the upcoming Lupin the Box DVD set, as well as a blurb about 2007 being the 30th anniversary of Yuji Ohno's relationship with the Lupin franchise.  I wish I could read what it says!  It has a little proof-of-purchase or something that it wants me to cut out, and it seems to be advertising something coming out in December of this year (or possibly, if it's a mail-away, expiring in December?).  If I scanned it, is anyone here capable of reading it?

Anyway, I'll post my thoughts on the actual music once I've had a chance to listen to the CD, for anyone who cares.

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
Re: Soundtrack to new game on CD Japan
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 04:23:13 pm »
Okay, what with the forums being down, and then other things going on for me personally, it took a while to get to this-- But here's a small review of this CD.

First off, it's much longer than the last video game soundtrack, which is something I appreciate.  When you pay $20.00-plus for a single CD, you like to have more than just 14 short tracks (which is what the previous game's soundtrack had).  This CD has a whopping 23 tracks, and as a result I find it to be a much better value than the last one.

Like all the PS2 Lupin games, the opening theme for this one is "Lupin the Third '79".  However, this is the remixed version from the "Lupin the Third: The Original: New Mix 2005" CD.  I have that CD, and I've always liked this version better than the original.  It's basically the same, but it was remixed by Yuji Ohno to bring out some of the quieter parts and give it a more exciting sound.

As noted in descriptions of the CD, Yuji Ohno has made extensive use of traditional Chinese instruments for this score.  Most of the tracks have this sound, but at the same time you can still tell it's a Lupin soundtrack.  The Yuji Ohno "feel" is there, as are the synthesizers that he tended to over-use in the 90s (but has used to just the right extent for the past few years).  The combination of classical-Chinese-meets-modern-synth reminds me a bit of the Dynasty Warriors series of video games, if anyone's ever played those.

The game's main theme, according to various online translation sites, is titled "Memory of the Silver Jewel".  It's not Yuji Ohno's strongest theme, but I like it.  It comes in a few flavors throughout the CD, most notably in tracks 6 (a piano version), 7 (a jazzy version), and 23 (a classical Chinese version).  It also pops up mixed into a few other tracks.

Also, thanks to the review of the game on Sprak/Luis Cruz's blog, I now understand why there are a few tracks bearing the title "Arsene and Koichi's Theme"!  I was puzzling over that title forever till I saw the picture at the end of the review.  I won't mention it here for those who haven't seen the blog and/or played the game, though.  I'm just glad to know why the tune has that title.  And while I'm on the subject, the three versions of that theme are my favorite tracks on the CD.  They're fast-paced and more action-oriented, with more of a true Lupin feel to them than the rest of the CD.

Anyway, those are a few random and jumbled thoughts on this soundtrack.  It's not the best Lupin score ever, but it's certainly not the worst.  I like it better than the soundtrack to last year's TV Special (though that one did have the magnificent new version of "Magnum Dance"), and the number of tracks makes it a much better value than the past few Lupin albums have been.  I bought it "sound-unheard," so to speak, but if I could've listened to it first then decided if I wanted to purchase it, I'd still get it.

P.S.:  I'm still wondering if there's anyone out there who can help me with this little item from my previous post:

Quote from: Me
There's an insert in the middle advertising the upcoming Lupin the Box DVD set, as well as a blurb about 2007 being the 30th anniversary of Yuji Ohno's relationship with the Lupin franchise.  I wish I could read what it says!  It has a little proof-of-purchase or something that it wants me to cut out, and it seems to be advertising something coming out in December of this year (or possibly, if it's a mail-away, expiring in December?).  If I scanned it, is anyone here capable of reading it?[/quote

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2007, 05:22:19 pm »
P.S.:  I'm still wondering if there's anyone out there who can help me with this little item from my previous post:

Quote from: Me
There's an insert in the middle advertising the upcoming Lupin the Box DVD set, as well as a blurb about 2007 being the 30th anniversary of Yuji Ohno's relationship with the Lupin franchise.  I wish I could read what it says!  It has a little proof-of-purchase or something that it wants me to cut out, and it seems to be advertising something coming out in December of this year (or possibly, if it's a mail-away, expiring in December?).  If I scanned it, is anyone here capable of reading it?
I think Luis or I could probably take a shot at it if we saw it.

I can't promise a full and complete translation but I could maybe offer the overall gist of it. Luis might fare a bit better as far as that goes.
-R. Nelson

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2007, 03:21:35 pm »
I think Luis or I could probably take a shot at it if we saw it.

I can't promise a full and complete translation but I could maybe offer the overall gist of it. Luis might fare a bit better as far as that goes.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect anything in-depth.  It's just that as a big fan of Ohno's work on the series, I'd really like to know if it's a mail-away (in which case it's pretty well useless to me), or something being released in December, or what.  Here it is (I've also included the lower part of the insert, which features an ad for the DVD set for anyone who'd like to look at it):

Obviously, besides the parts in English, the only things that have caught my untrained eye are the scissors on that proof-of-purchase or whatever in the corner, and the copyright info which says something about 2007/12-- Which I take to be December of 2007.

On a side note, it amazes me that Ohno has been with the Lupin franchise for 30 years!  That's dedication!

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
Re: Soundtrack to new game on CD Japan (updated with small review)
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2007, 11:59:04 pm »
Looks like it's a "present campaign" (I usually see this phrasing used for a contest or sometimes a "buy these products and send in the proofs for some super-collectible thingy"--I hate their misuse of English) for something Yuji Ohno-related.

Odds are, unless you have a Japanese address, you can't get it shipped to ya, anyway. Plus you might need multiple proofs from other products. Hard to say. Put simply, it's a mail-away, I'm just not sure exactly what.

In related news, Vap now has a super-tiny look at the contents of the Lupin the Box release! It appears to have brand-new cover art for each disc cover, including the 3 films! I really liked the 80's covers for the VHS and Second TV.Box releases, but easy come, easy go!
-R. Nelson