Author Topic: Why did Funimation start their releases with Special 5?  (Read 711 times)

JAG2045

• Part of the Gang
Why did Funimation start their releases with Special 5?
« on: August 15, 2017, 06:07:33 PM »
I'm a big fan of the Funimation dub of Lupin as they were the first Lupin media I ever saw and I'm glad that Discotek have been re-releasing the TV specials they did, however I wondered was there a specific reason as to why they started with the 5th special instead of the 1st? (I could understand if there were rights issues with the 1st special because of the MangaUK dub but if that was the case why not start with the 2nd one?)

I just wondered if anyone knew the reason?

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Re: Why did Funimation start their releases with Special 5?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 07:40:21 PM »
They went for the newest ones at the time, 'cus they figured the animation would sell better than in the older specials.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 07:40:57 PM by GATSU »

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 01:11:42 AM »
I'm a big fan of the Funimation dub of Lupin as they were the first Lupin media I ever saw and I'm glad that Discotek have been re-releasing the TV specials they did, however I wondered was there a specific reason as to why they started with the 5th special instead of the 1st? (I could understand if there were rights issues with the 1st special because of the MangaUK dub but if that was the case why not start with the 2nd one?)

I just wondered if anyone knew the reason?

I had a phone call with Chris Sabat back in 2002 and IIRC (and I may not), he said Funimation licensed all the Lupin specials they would let them have. It's possible the licensing for the first few were with a different company for the time. (Remember how the English licensing info for most Lupin specials was on NTV's English page? But I think now they're on TMS' page.) So Funimation might have licensed from NTV.

It's also possible that Pioneer called dibs on the first few TV specials along with Mamo, and just never released them. However, the initial leak/rumor that his the newgroups before any announcements was that Pioneer had licensed Part I, Part II, AND Part III along with Mamo, but I don't think anything else was mentioned... [CORRECTION: it DID say they had the missing TV Specials; see my post below]

In short, we don't really know why. They probably both just got what they could when the getting was good and Pioneer got there first and more aggressively (but announced late, after dubbing had commenced), and there might've been an issue with licensing the first few TVSPs at the time?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 10:27:51 AM by Reed »
-R. Nelson

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 09:28:12 AM »
Reed: Actually, IIRC, Geneon/Pioneer was hinting they also had Liberty Crisis and From Siberia with Love.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 10:26:53 AM »
I don't remember any hints at all, and I talked with numerous Pioneer reps the year it was announced and was in direct contact with one the whole time Lupin was being released.

But yes, Pioneer did license the missing specials. This Newsgroup post hit the Web ~2 mos. before Pioneer made the news public:
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/rec.arts.anime.misc/sBqYj3wFS5s/discussion

Sup all,

in a surprising move, Pioneer Ent. USA seems have to obtain
theatrical, video and tv broadcasting rights to all 228 TV-episodes of
the old Lupin III tv-series (well all 3 of them that is ;), the 4
specials which are not included in the deal with FUNimation
and one
movie as of May 27th. TMS Entertainment, the Japanese lisence holder,
hopes that Pioneer can sell at least the TV series to one of the US
broadcasting stations.

for more details, just wait for ANS and Natsume Maya. ;)

cheers,
Sany
-R. Nelson

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 11:07:09 PM »
Reed: Heard it through the AOD forums and a Geneon rep in person.

JAG2045

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 06:46:08 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys!  :D