Author Topic: Lupin References/homages  (Read 160471 times)

Alc

• [Member]
  • Oh yeah, have another cigarrette Mr. Fitness!
Re: Lupin References/homages
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2009, 12:32:05 pm »
I've been wondering recently...

Has anyone ever ripped or posted on youtube the clip of the Jigen cameo in Animaniacs?  And has anyone ever put on youtube the episode of Samurai Jack where Jack has to fight/go up against the thief that is obviously Jigen?

Just wondering because people always mention those (and I've seen them both) but we can never get pictures OR video of it.  XD

Sad cactus

« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2009, 01:41:40 pm »
I know, right? ;_; If you type in Sir Yaksalot, you should be able to find the Animaniacs one. But I don't know about the Samurai Jack one.

Alc

• [Member]
  • Oh yeah, have another cigarrette Mr. Fitness!
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2009, 07:42:42 pm »
I know, right? ;_; If you type in Sir Yaksalot, you should be able to find the Animaniacs one. But I don't know about the Samurai Jack one.

Before wikipedia went all ass-tastic on themselves they USED to have pictures of the Jigen lookalike in both the Samurai Jack section AND the Lupin III section.l

rpguidry

• [Member]
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2009, 10:17:37 pm »
I remember another homage to Lupin.

In the GCN RPG Baten Kaitos there is a thief character you meet called Pollo the 3rd.  Pollo is Spanish for chicken and Lupine means Wolf like.  The character didn't look like Lupin though, nor did he wear a Red jackeck or anything similar.  Still from the name alone it was definitely a homage to Lupin.   

Ersatz

• [Member]
  • *mwah*
    • Taffy Typings
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2009, 12:56:29 pm »
I've been wondering recently...

Has anyone ever ripped or posted on youtube the clip of the Jigen cameo in Animaniacs?  And has anyone ever put on youtube the episode of Samurai Jack where Jack has to fight/go up against the thief that is obviously Jigen?

Just wondering because people always mention those (and I've seen them both) but we can never get pictures OR video of it.  XD

I have (crappy) stills from Jack and the Labyrinth - can't fathom how to put the episode on YouTube, though (if it's even possible).

(click to show/hide)

Our Jigen-esque pal's briefcase doubles as an espionage unit and machine gun. And he appears to have swapped his Pall Malls for a toothpick  ;D

« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 01:00:42 pm by Ersatz »

Cupcake princess

• [Member]
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2009, 12:57:52 pm »
In the Family Guy episode "If I'm Dyin', I'm Lyin'" Chris and Peter are both watching an episode of a show called Gumbel 2 Gumbel, in which a thief steals a handbag from a girl, and that thief just looks like a version of Jigen (in the pink series) without the beard
Un dia cualquiera no sabes que hora es,
te acuestas a mi lado sin saber porque.
Las calles mojadas te han visto crecer
y tu en tu corazon estas llorando otra vez.

Sad cactus

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2009, 02:12:01 pm »
Great find, banishedprince! ^_^ Thanks for circling it, that IS tiny! XD Thanks, Ersatz for the stills!

Ersatz

• [Member]
  • *mwah*
    • Taffy Typings
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2009, 09:26:04 am »
The start of the recent Doctor Who special made my other half turn to me and remark 'Someone's been watching their Lupin the Third', just as I was thinking the exact same thing.

It you're not familiar with the show, Doctor Who is a British series that usually runs anually for around 13 episodes. This year 3 specials are being made instead, the first of which aired on Saturday. Since it's reinvention in 2005, the series has become hugely popular in the UK (particularly Wales, where the writer Russell T. Davies hails from and much of the series is filmed).

Anyway, the following is not a direct reference/homage, but certainly enough to set my Lupin-senses tingling despite the thief being female and the now obligatory nod to Indiana Jones. At the very least, it's likely the nearest we'll get to a Lupin acknowledgement in Blighty!

Unfortunately the similarities end after the opening credits. Still, the first three minutes are worth a peep - the shot at 2:11 clinched it for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n8I_dsZU0o

Sad cactus

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2009, 01:01:44 pm »
Great find! ^__^ For the first two minutes I was confused and I thought I was actually watching live-action Lupin. The whole time I was thinking Fujiko, Fujiko, Fujiko--either that or male Lupin. That rocked. XD

Umagon

• [Member]
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2009, 08:51:08 am »
wow, I've never realized half of these. I need to go back and watch all this stuff ><

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2009, 11:10:43 am »
I highly doubt Nintendo meant for "the glass jaw of France" to be a reference to a background character in a Lupin episode, but I couldn't help but notice that one of Fujiko's suitors in the first red jacket episode looked exactly like Glass Joe, the first opponent in Nintendo's Punch-Out!! series.

It's uncanny!
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

yotsuya

• [Member]
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2009, 02:04:05 pm »
Got a couple for you guys.  First, here's a picture from the first Megazone 23 OVA of two cops that look suspiciously familiar:

Here's another from later on in the OVA of Officer Lupin reloading his gun:

Finally, here's one from episode 24 of the original Macross TV series that appears to show an old friend of ours playing a Cagliostro themed arcade game:

Sad cactus

« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2009, 06:08:02 pm »
XD !!! The cop!Lupin and Jigen reference is mind-blowing! XD Thanks!

midoco123

• [Member]
  • YA-HA!!!!
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2009, 07:53:26 pm »
XD !!! The cop!Lupin and Jigen reference is mind-blowing! XD Thanks!

Congrats on 1000 posts. And yah... those pics are freaky.
When life gives you lemons, you have a few options:
1. Have you're engineers create a combustible lemon.
2. Clone them and make super Lemons.
3. Just squeeze the dang lemons for their juice.

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2009, 11:00:43 am »
There's two references to mystery writer Ranpo Edogawa in Lupin III.
In the pilot film and first chapter of the manga, there's a character named "Investigator Akechi", who was probably named after Edogawa's famous detective, Kogoro Akechi.
Also, the character "The Man with 20 Faces" in volume 12 of the original manga is probably named after a villain in the Kogoro Akechi stories.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)