Author Topic: Lupin References/homages  (Read 177276 times)

angelidollinda

• Part of the Gang
  • I believe in the power of the thief!
Re: Lupin References/homages
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2009, 01:20:32 pm »
How weird, she seriously does...

(By the way, you might want to label that link NSFW)
Les temps sont durs pour les r

Alc

• [Member]
  • Oh yeah, have another cigarrette Mr. Fitness!
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2009, 04:31:37 pm »
Everytime I think of this thread I always remember the first posts I saw here on this forum long before I ever joined it:

http://www.lupinthethird.net/forums/index.php?topic=291.0

There are some nice homages in there.

On another note of homages...there was a hentai doujinshi I was reading (...someone sent it to me on a whim JUST for this homage) and this guy is getting excited about this girl who wants to have sex with him.  Anyway, in the corner three different times you see an image of the famous "Lupin in his boxers jumping at Fujiko in bed" scene.  XD

I died laughing everytime I see it.

It seems even hentai artists know of the influence of Lupin...though not in the way that most of us fans do.   ;)

Geist_MD

• Boogie Woogie Loog Shugie!
  • [Member]
  • The Coiled Shuffler
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2009, 08:18:51 am »

Don't worry, all is well!

Everytime I think of this thread I always remember the first posts I saw here on this forum long before I ever joined it:

On another note of homages...there was a hentai doujinshi I was reading (...someone sent it to me on a whim JUST for this homage) and this guy is getting excited about this girl who wants to have sex with him.  Anyway, in the corner three different times you see an image of the famous "Lupin in his boxers jumping at Fujiko in bed" scene.  XD

It seems even hentai artists know of the influence of Lupin...though not in the way that most of us fans do.   ;)

It's funny that this thread has gone the way of hentai, because while it's far from homage {and so easy to find it's not worth linking, although I'd be happy to do so anonymously in PM} there's a lot of Lupin H-Manga floating around, but with Lupin so unloved by americans, few of it is scanned and fewer translated.

On topic: Gantz girl is DEFINITELY Fujiko-esque. It's kind of amusing that Fujiko in many ways ushered in the bust-buster archetype for Japanese anime heroines.
1-888-SPY-HARD

Alc

• [Member]
  • Oh yeah, have another cigarrette Mr. Fitness!
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2009, 01:32:51 pm »

Don't worry, all is well!

It's funny that this thread has gone the way of hentai, because while it's far from homage {and so easy to find it's not worth linking, although I'd be happy to do so anonymously in PM} there's a lot of Lupin H-Manga floating around, but with Lupin so unloved by americans, few of it is scanned and fewer translated.

On topic: Gantz girl is DEFINITELY Fujiko-esque. It's kind of amusing that Fujiko in many ways ushered in the bust-buster archetype for Japanese anime heroines.

ROFL!

I didn't mean for the thread to go the hentai route, I just thought that the little homage to Lupin in that one was interesting.  XD

Videot

• [Member]
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2009, 04:41:19 pm »
The three-part OVA "Re: Cutie Honey" is full of references to other animes, and does not skimp on the Lupin ones.
Honey's boss dresses exactly like red-jacket Lupin;

The male protagonist wears a green jacket that is somehow familiar;

and if this isn't a sort of homage, I don't know what is. :D

Seriously, watch it. It is by far the best Cutie Honey version around, and not overly long either. (My gf exclaimed "Where is the rest of the series?!" when the credits rolled on the final episode. I would have watched them if there were more, but it's just fine as it is. And with a series, they would have had to make a decision on certain themes that are more than a little...ambiguous. (Or perhaps not so very ambiguous after all, but left unsaid on purpose. :-X )

Sad cactus

« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2009, 08:11:43 pm »
Wow, they're not even attempting to conceal those homages. That's great, thanks for posting the clips! ^^

Geist_MD

• Boogie Woogie Loog Shugie!
  • [Member]
  • The Coiled Shuffler
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2009, 01:04:25 am »
Regarding the last Cutie Honey gif, I don't think it's a reference so much as it is Lupin's influence on anime physics {see: removing physics entirely}.
1-888-SPY-HARD

Videot

• [Member]
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2009, 05:41:15 am »
Yes, it's more a homage to the style than to Lupin specifically. I couldn't help making the connection though, as it is immediately preceded by some similar tentacle-dodging which really put me in mind of "Dead or Alive" (I didn't cap that though, since the fansubs during that segment displays the background song lyrics in japanese, the background song lyrics in english, AND the translated dialogue. Too clutttered for a .gif :) and the rest of the series uses a different kind of anime physics (even more exaggerated and simplified), so it sort of sticks out.
(And the closeup of the boot sole at the end is kinda Lupin-y as well.:)

alljackets67

• [Member]
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2009, 04:16:42 am »
In the Cowboy Bebop episode "Sympathy for the Devil", the little boy who plays the harmonica wears a green jacket, yellow tie, and black dress shirt.

Videot

• [Member]
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2009, 08:36:04 am »
Oh yes, the Cowboy Bebop boy...had forgotten him.
I tend to think of Cowboy Bebop as being overall MASSIVELY influenced by Lupin, from art style (foot shapes, anyone?) through gruff, bearded voice of reason and on to self-serving female protagonist (Faye/Fujiko, even have similar names) and long elaborate money-making-missions that while successful never really pay anything.
Still a good series, though.

Sad cactus

« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2009, 12:26:53 pm »
I tend to think of Cowboy Bebop as being overall MASSIVELY influenced by Lupin, from art style (foot shapes, anyone?) through gruff, bearded voice of reason

Okay, so that's how Jet was inspired by Jigen. I keep looking at Jet and thinking, man, that's one ugly mug. How could lean, mean  dog-faced Jigen inspire massive, unwieldy, bull-faced Jet? oO So it's his personality, not his appearance. Thanks for that. ^^

Quilly

• [Member]
    • myspace
« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2009, 08:25:56 pm »
episode 6 of "xxxHolic", Yuko writes "Zantetsuken" on a red baseball bat she then uses to slice a computer in half using a downward slash. ((no damage to the table its sitting on either...))
the scene is very Goemon-esque, whether on purpose or not!
((check out Hulu.com to watch the episode, its towards the end in the 19th minute))

Sad cactus

« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2009, 09:35:02 pm »
XD She must have invoked the essence of Goemon! XD

blackjacket

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2009, 05:21:15 pm »
Got a couple for you guys.  First, here's a picture from the first Megazone 23 OVA of two cops that look suspiciously familiar:

Here's another from later on in the OVA of Officer Lupin reloading his gun:

Finally, here's one from episode 24 of the original Macross TV series that appears to show an old friend of ours playing a Cagliostro themed arcade game:

Wow, I knew about Macross homage, but the Megazone 23 scenes are amazing! I also Lupin and Jigen make a cameo in Urusei Yatsura(which aired in the same time slot as Lupin III 2nd series, right after red jacket series ended.

In Excel Saga, a character named Nabeshin dresses up like Lupin and there is also an episode where a man disguises himself like Jigen.
I might be wrong but the guy who voiced Nabeshin also voiced Nabikov, the villain with horrendous laugh in 1999 TV Special "Fujiko's Unlucky Days : Da Capo of Love/Columbu Files", which he also directed.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 02:50:17 pm by blackjacket »

Sad cactus

« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2009, 08:16:01 pm »
I can't remember if someone mentioned this already...
In Spirited Away, Chihiro is trying to get down the stairs when she slips and starts running down the stairs so fast that she can't stop, very similar to Lupin slipping and running down the castle roof at breakneck speed to the point where he can't stop. The difference is that while Lupin flies through the air, getting to the castle tower,  Chihiro slams into a wall.

In this same scene, when Chihiro is inching down the stairs, the first four notes of the Lupin theme plays. I need to get a hold of a sound clip. Even if that was only coincidence, it was really funny.^^

Chihiro's dad is also sporting a mustache that looks a lot like Cagliostro's.

I might be wrong but the guy who voiced Nabeshin also voiced Nabikov, the villain in 1999 TV Special "Fujiko's Unluck Days : Da Capo of Love/Columbu Files", which he also directed.

Eh? R. Bruce Elliot? I guess you're talking about the Japanese version. ^^;