Author Topic: Lupin References/homages  (Read 177279 times)

blackjacket

• Part of the Gang
Re: Lupin References/homages
« Reply #90 on: July 01, 2009, 02:51:54 pm »
I can't remember if someone mentioned this already...
In Spirited Away, Chihiro is trying to get down the stairs when she slips and starts running down the stairs so fast that she can't stop, very similar to Lupin slipping and running down the castle roof at breakneck speed to the point where he can't stop. The difference is that while Lupin flies through the air, getting to the castle tower,  Chihiro slams into a wall.

In this same scene, when Chihiro is inching down the stairs, the first four notes of the Lupin theme plays. I need to get a hold of a sound clip. Even if that was only coincidence, it was really funny.^^

Chihiro's dad is also sporting a mustache that looks a lot like Cagliostro's.

I might be wrong but the guy who voiced Nabeshin also voiced Nabikov, the villain in 1999 TV Special "Fujiko's Unluck Days : Da Capo of Love/Columbu Files", which he also directed.

Eh? R. Bruce Elliot? I guess you're talking about the Japanese version. ^^;

Yes, I was of course talking about the original Japanese voice actor. Actually, I don't really care much about english voice actors. :)

Dots Salchow

• Actually Dots Salchow
  • Part of the Gang
  • That's Dots to you!
    • Tumblr blog
« Reply #91 on: July 11, 2009, 03:43:52 pm »
Watching Cyborg 009 again (the 2001 remake, that is), i recently noticed a possible allusion to Lupin The Third in one episode. In episode 7 "Defeat the Invisible Opponent", Joe Shimamura returns to Tokyo in search for the kidnapped professor Kozumi, when he meets up with "Scar-Nose" Yasu, one of his childhood friends. Yasu incidentally wears a red jacket with a dark blue shirt underneath, just like Lupin (all that's missing is the yellow tie, but i guess the yellow collar makes up for it). He also walks the same way as Lupin.

It could most possibly be a coincidence, considering the show's theme (and the original Cyborg 009 manga being a little older than the Lupin III manga), but i just couldn't resist mentioning it.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 05:38:35 pm by geckogirl191 »
Often caught but never held for long, Lupin III brought the gentleman-thief into this century with his hi-tech antics and old-world charm.
~Helen McCarthy, 500 Manga Heroes & Villains

gothichyppie

• [Member]
  • Road buddies...
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2009, 01:36:25 am »
I've recently got a hold of Cowboy Bebop and in this episode called 'Sympathy For The Devil', a suit that this kid wears rang a bell :

Not much of a reference as the kid is nothing like Lupin and the latter doesn't have copyrights over these colors but hey, any Lupin fan would notice this.

A bit of trivia : Megumi Hayashibara, who voiced Faye Valentine on the show, also voiced Maria in Tokyo Crisis.

Ichi........................................ ni........................................ TROIS!

HyperInSugar

• [Member]
  • Dance like there
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2009, 06:48:10 am »
In that awful Jackie Chan cartoon, one of the "bad guys" wears a green jacket and a yellow tie like first series Lupin and if that`s not a Lupin reference I don`t know what the hell it is.

In book 2 of Avatar: Last Airbender, one of the Dai Li guards encharged by Azula to capture the Avatar looks a lot like certain gunman we all know.
Why I am here:

-To be a dAmn addict
-To herd llamas
-To view pretty, pretty Jigen and Goemon pics

djcj

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2009, 11:36:13 am »
In Gantz chapter 166 there's a "Hotel Lupin" in the background. And on another page it's "Rupan" (or "Rupin"? You can't the the last two letters).

angelidollinda

• Part of the Gang
  • I believe in the power of the thief!
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2009, 12:39:20 pm »
In Gantz chapter 166 there's a "Hotel Lupin" in the background. And on another page it's "Rupan" (or "Rupin"? You can't the the last two letters).

There actually is a hotel in Japan called "Hotel Lupin". Where it is I can't recall, but I'm sure if you did a search on Google Japan you might find a picture of the sign.
Les temps sont durs pour les r

djcj

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2009, 01:18:25 pm »

angelidollinda

• Part of the Gang
  • I believe in the power of the thief!
« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2009, 03:42:46 pm »
For some reason your image isn't loading, but here's a billboard I found for it:

Les temps sont durs pour les r

Inspector Zenigata

• Part of the Gang
  • Lupin Doujinshi Collector
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2009, 01:17:56 am »
For some reason your image isn't loading, but here's a billboard I found for it:

edit: not it shows up... the Lupin looks like it was made by aerosol art (spray paint can)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 01:20:02 am by Inspector Zenigata »

djcj

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #99 on: December 20, 2009, 11:10:36 am »

Seiji from Tsukuyomi Moon Phase. The tie is missing though and the trousers are too bright.

Dots Salchow

• Actually Dots Salchow
  • Part of the Gang
  • That's Dots to you!
    • Tumblr blog
« Reply #100 on: December 20, 2009, 04:44:57 pm »
I can't believe nobody has ever mentioned this homage before! I even looked it up twice on the forum to be sure if nobody posted this!
Okay, i used a search engine, so i might have overlooked it.

In the beginning of the 5th episode of FLCL (Bura-bure), Kamon (Naota's dad) is dressed up like Lupin III. He also talks to Haruko in pure Lupin fashion (with the voice tremolo and all) 'cause he wants to make woopy with her. Plus, The 2nd series and Castle of Cagliostro are mentioned and Monkey Punch is referred here as "Mr. Monkey". Also, the title card appears in typewriter style!

And if that ain't enough evidence...
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 07:20:28 am by geckogirl191 »
Often caught but never held for long, Lupin III brought the gentleman-thief into this century with his hi-tech antics and old-world charm.

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2009, 03:06:50 am »
I can't believe nobody has ever mentioned this homage before! I even looked it up twice on the forum to be sure if nobody posted this!
Okay, i used a search engine, so i might have overlooked it.

In the beginning of the 5th episode of FLCL (Bura-bure), Kamon (Naota's dad) is dressed up like Lupin III. He also talks to Haruko in pure Lupin fashion (with the voice tremolo and all) 'cause he wants to make woopy with her. Plus, The 2nd series and Castle of Cagliostro are mentioned and Monkey Punch is referred here as "Mr. Monkey". Also, the title card appears in typewriter style!

BOOM!
Fooly Cooly episode 5.  Kamon dresses as Lupin and rambles about jacket color, then spoofs the 2nd series opening.
Although yours was a lot more informative.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

Dots Salchow

• Actually Dots Salchow
  • Part of the Gang
  • That's Dots to you!
    • Tumblr blog
« Reply #102 on: December 21, 2009, 07:17:56 am »
BOOM!
Fooly Cooly episode 5.  Kamon dresses as Lupin and rambles about jacket color, then spoofs the 2nd series opening.
Although yours was a lot more informative.
Jesus F-ing Christ, search engines!
Furball spelled the anime differently as opposed to just "FLCL", which explains why it couldn't find that post on the forum.
Oh well, what's done can't be undone. (Although i'd like to remove the post, i think it's okay if it stays there for the extra info.)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 07:19:48 am by geckogirl191 »

Lazymez

• [Member]
    • Flavors.me
« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2009, 04:49:15 pm »

I took this screenshot quite a long time ago when I checked out some garbage animes. Now.. why cant I remember what anime this was or what was happening. (I should take notes..) I faintly remember there was hide-and-seek of some short going on with all the randomness. It was ova episode for some moe-filled parody series.
Anyone for the rescue? My memory can seriously fail at times. :'D

Sad cactus

« Reply #104 on: December 28, 2009, 04:05:39 pm »
I can't remember if this was mentioned before, but one in Sgt. Frog of Lupin and Jigen--a pretty detailed one, too. I'll post it on YouTube soon. : )