Author Topic: Lupin References/homages  (Read 177269 times)

Murasaki

• [Member]
Re: Lupin References/homages
« Reply #120 on: April 27, 2010, 05:37:10 am »
Didn´t you see the Disney´s Basil the Great Mouse Detective?
The final secene,from the clock,it´s a reference to final scene of Castle of Cagliostro.
And,on one Pokemon episide,there are two references too,one from the series,another for Cagliostro´s clock,but I don´t remember the episode,or the Ligue.

BetweentheWorlds

• [Member]
  • (Insert Theme Song Here)
« Reply #121 on: May 04, 2010, 06:15:05 pm »
I can't believe I'm the first one to say it...
samurai jack, anyone???
Did we not see that whole "Jack and the Labyrinth" episode?
That was so cool, and I don't mean to be a rabid fangirl, but I LOVE samurai Jack, and then one day I see a white-suited Jigen on screen, and I think I literally screamed. I did.

and here is pic from a Lupin fan site i found
(click to show/hide)

I know where this is....Anyone know what he's saying???
Without the possibility of failure there can be no success.

BetweentheWorlds

• [Member]
  • (Insert Theme Song Here)
« Reply #122 on: May 08, 2010, 12:18:01 am »
Found this:
(click to show/hide)
Without the possibility of failure there can be no success.

blackjacket

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #123 on: May 08, 2010, 08:21:05 am »
Found this:
(click to show/hide)

I am sure it's meant to be Jigen, as the scene shows reference to several animes. Other than Jigen, the hooded guy and the girl and boy
are Jean, Nadia and Gargoyle(main villain character), from Nadia: Secret of Blue Water.

djcj

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #124 on: May 08, 2010, 11:12:05 am »
samurai jack, anyone???
That was so cool, and I don't mean to be a rabid fangirl, but I LOVE samurai Jack, and then one day I see a white-suited Jigen on screen, and I think I literally screamed. I did.

(click to show/hide)

The two katakana seem to stand for "pro(fessional?)".

Dots Salchow

• Actually Dots Salchow
  • Part of the Gang
  • That's Dots to you!
    • Tumblr blog
« Reply #125 on: May 08, 2010, 01:28:32 pm »
samurai jack, anyone???

(click to show/hide)

After putting that phrase through Google Translate and speeding through a few online dictionaries, all i can guess is that he says: "I'm not trying to be like a pro". I may be a little off but i hope it helps...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 01:28:51 pm by geckogirl191 »
Often caught but never held for long, Lupin III brought the gentleman-thief into this century with his hi-tech antics and old-world charm.
~Helen McCarthy, 500 Manga Heroes & Villains

Sad cactus

« Reply #126 on: May 09, 2010, 10:10:50 pm »
I can't remember if someone has posted this already...Lt. Yamamoto looks (and acts) like Zenigata. I don't know if it was an intentional reference or just a similarity in character design. I'm looking at the eyelashes, sideburns, and facial structure. When surprised, his eyes get big and round. When falling over or running, sometimes he has the same wide stance as Zenigata.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 08:52:06 am by Sad cactus »

KoichiZenigata

• Part of the Gang
  • Stealing Japan for a Year
    • Lupin has a podcast
« Reply #127 on: May 09, 2010, 10:53:05 pm »
That last pict that is referenced to Zenigata
looks like the Zenigata from Island of Assassins/Walther P-38
the character design anyway

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #128 on: May 10, 2010, 12:17:08 am »
I was thinking the same thing. Same character designer, perhaps?

EDIT: Nope. The character designer for "In Memory of the Walther P38" was Fuminori Kizaki. Looks like the only other character designs he did were for Shadow Skill (TV), Galaxy Railways and Blue Gender (now that I think about it, Blue Gender's designs certainly do bear a fairly strong resemblance to Walther's, don't they?).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 12:25:59 am by Lupin the Third »
-R. Nelson

Sad cactus

« Reply #129 on: May 10, 2010, 08:13:41 am »
L3: Yeah, they do look like the ones from Walther P-38. I'm surprised  I can't find more pictures of Blue Gender, though. Thanks for the info on Fuminori Kizaki.

I guess the design similarity comes from that they are both big, loud commanding middle-aged Japanese men  with an unwavering sense of purpose but are also just as ridiculous and silly as the main character whom they complement.

Jo

• Part of the Gang
  • natto mmm.
    • I am a vegan. Except on half price wing night.
« Reply #130 on: May 12, 2010, 01:36:49 am »
Watching the drama adapation of Yankee-kun to Megane-chan and spotted this:

Shingawa's friend Nerima is reading a Lupin III manga :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 01:37:08 am by JoYi »

Lupin III Manga Database[Scanlations and such are here]

blackjacket

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #131 on: May 14, 2010, 04:52:34 am »
I can't remember if someone has posted this already...Lt. Yamamoto looks (and acts) like Zenigata. I don't know if it was an intentional reference or just a similarity in character design. I'm looking at the eyelashes, sideburns, and facial structure. When surprised, his eyes get big and round. When falling over or running, sometimes he has the same wide stance as Zenigata.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

I thought Lt. Yamamoto might look like Zenigata, but he acted more like a parody of Bright Noah from U.C. Gundam series than Zenigata.

Sad cactus

« Reply #132 on: May 18, 2010, 11:01:15 pm »
Nice, JoYi! : ) I love the nice blatant homages. ^^

I thought Lt. Yamamoto might look like Zenigata, but he acted more like a parody of Bright Noah from U.C. Gundam series than Zenigata.

I haven't seen Gundam, so I can't compare. I watched both the Captain Tylor TV series and the OVA and while Yamamoto might start off as your ordinary honor-bound, straitlaced workaholic, he ends up being as unorthodox as Tylor. By the end, the show might as well be the Irresponsible Captain Yamamoto. XD And yeah, their main goals are very different--Zenigata's is to catch Lupin, and all the misadventure that entails, Yamamoto's is to initially be a good soldier and emulate his mentor, but his goal, with the reception of the captaincy from Tylor, is to save the Raalgon mother ship, to the shock of his superiors. And then Tylor gives him command of the ship and Yamamoto joins forces with the Raalgon against the greater enemy--a huge change from when he blindly followed the gung-ho mission of the United Planet Space Force. If Bright Noah is a wild card, a heretic, then you're right. Scott Bernard from Robotech would be another example, I guess. There's lots of officers in anime who don't follow orders want peace when others want war, etc. They  thus shock and outrage others around them. But it's something about the methods of and demeanor of Yamamoto that put him into a special class similar to Zenigata's. Tylor shocks his crew, his unorthodoxy rubs off on Yamamoto, and eventually his superiors refer to him as an idiot as well. He flowers into an idiot savant, starting off timid but becoming a complete heretic.

Zenigata--ignoring manga and green versions, since there's little to  no higher power structure to measure Zenigata's unorthodoxy--(I imagine he still is, but I can't analyze those as well as red) But with Zenigata--firstly, there's Lupin, and his methods of catching him are wonderfully madcap. Or even when he's not riding a bike through the ocean, his doggedness to pursue Lupin ANYWHERE, with nothing stopping him short of the earth caving in under him--or at least getting knocked out. Multiple people have observed that in a car chase with Lupin, Zenigata's is the only holdout. Zenigata is purely unpredictable in all that he does. Will he go after Lupin? Usually. Now will he use a giant crane arm or will he attack his hideout alone? And his obsession with Lupin lies outside the whole power structure--at least shown in Mamo when he goes after Lupin against the orders of the commissioner.  On the other hand, if justice and honor are Zenigata's calling cards, he easily falls into dishonorable situations (too numerous to list). Drinking to the point of embarassment is a similar common trait---yes, that happens to a lot of characters, but that they're stern, straitlaced kind of guys with a very clean-cut appearance that often drink themselves under the table is something interesting. A slight difference but general similarity is that Zenigata often finds that the best offensive is running. He has remarkable self-preservation. Now he doesn't talk about honorable death--there's a difference. And Yamamoto pays lip-service to dying for the military but balks at being executed and hangs onto life tenaciously---, to humorous effect on this point--but Zenigata doesn't bat an eye at running from danger and doesn't particularly talk about whether it's better to fight or run all that often. Like Lupin, he tends to value his life. He's a survivor. And lastly, general goofiness. Yamamoto is all work until he boggles, whether at the OO naked twins or at Tylor's antics. He's often too zealous about firing at the enemy, causing more harm than good. Zenigata's zeal can go overboard too, and then he doesn't save whoever got tied up by Lupin or completely overlooks saving the hostage. And then he often misses the real bad guy. At that point he's just the idiot. But there are times when he's an idiot savant (also too numerous to list). Though, it would seem that Yamamoto needed Tylor to break him out of his mold---Zenigata is a wild card all by himself--though Lupin must be there to keep him wild, and brings out the best and worst--but usually outrageous and unexpected-- in Zenigata. My conclusion in all this--Yamamto is a fledgling heretic--Zenigata, whether his aim is to catch Lupin or not, has always been one.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 11:12:50 pm by Sad cactus »

bolt7

• Part of the Gang
  • Gaffer @ Lupin Central
    • Lupin Central
« Reply #133 on: May 30, 2010, 07:09:43 pm »
Seems a bit of an obvious one... sorry if it was pointed out before. ;D

Nabeshin from Excel Saga parodies Lupin's attire throughout the series.

gothichyppie

• [Member]
  • Road buddies...
« Reply #134 on: May 30, 2010, 08:50:20 pm »
Seems a bit of an obvious one... sorry if it was pointed out before. ;D

Nabeshin from Excel Saga parodies Lupin's attire throughout the series.

Ah that's it! I saw someone ressembling Lupin at an anime convention and was wondering where it was from. Thanks!
I only hope that this cosplayer knew who Lupin was!

Ichi........................................ ni........................................ TROIS!