Author Topic: Lupin References/homages  (Read 170658 times)

Ishikawa Goemon

• Part of the Gang
  • Derpin' along.
Re: Lupin References/homages
« Reply #135 on: August 07, 2010, 01:07:25 pm »
I was in the living room trying to resolve some issues on my mom's laptop, when a cartoon started playing in the background (the tv was left on). I saw a kid character who looked suspiciously Jigen-influenced, did a double-take, and Googled the cartoon. It's "Sabrina: The Animated Series" and the character is called "Pi". On TV Tropes, it jokingly says, "Pi is Jigen's son."

http://stagevu.com/img/thumbnail/wxazxcxefquhbig.jpg
Lupin will look up and shout, "Save us, plot-device!", and I'll look down and whisper, "No".

gothichyppie

• [Member]
  • Road buddies...
« Reply #136 on: August 07, 2010, 04:46:14 pm »
I was in the living room trying to resolve some issues on my mom's laptop, when a cartoon started playing in the background (the tv was left on). I saw a kid character who looked suspiciously Jigen-influenced, did a double-take, and Googled the cartoon. It's "Sabrina: The Animated Series" and the character is called "Pi". On TV Tropes, it jokingly says, "Pi is Jigen's son."
http://stagevu.com/img/thumbnail/wxazxcxefquhbig.jpg
THAT is cute as hell!  ;D

Ichi........................................ ni........................................ TROIS!

Sabutaatti

• [Member]
  • LUPIIINN!!!
    • MAL
« Reply #137 on: August 08, 2010, 06:27:14 am »
I didn't remember this scene unless I found it again: Last episode of first season of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 06:29:29 am by Sabutaatti »

KoichiZenigata

• Part of the Gang
  • Stealing Japan for a Year
    • Lupin has a podcast
« Reply #138 on: August 10, 2010, 10:25:46 am »
my brother saw this while watching the anime show
THe Prince of Tennis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMvAa5R3txc

KoichiZenigata

• Part of the Gang
    • Lupin has a podcast
« Reply #139 on: August 24, 2010, 01:15:17 am »
I didn't remember this scene unless I found it again: Last episode of first season of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.

(click to show/hide)

Epicc AWESOME!!
this is refering to Farewell my Beloved Lupin ending, too bad they didn't have the Superhero music playing in the background!

LadyMissie

• [Member]
« Reply #140 on: September 05, 2010, 02:34:51 pm »
The only homage I can think of off the top of my head is "Poopin' the turd" from Shin Chan but someone had already mentioned that a few pages back and I can't find anything on the internet. I'll have to pay more attention to things like this from now on.

I'm loving all the Jigen references! Animaniacs had one? That's just amazing.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #141 on: September 05, 2010, 02:39:08 pm »
The only homage I can think of off the top of my head is "Poopin' the turd" from Shin Chan but someone had already mentioned that a few pages back and I can't find anything on the internet. I'll have to pay more attention to things like this from now on.

I saw the "Poopin'" episode of Shin-chan on YouTube or whatever at some point. I recollect it having hardly any reference to the series except for Shin-chan's outfit. I was very disappointed, as I expected it to be more parody-like.
-R. Nelson

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #142 on: September 05, 2010, 04:05:57 pm »

I saw the "Poopin'" episode of Shin-chan on YouTube or whatever at some point. I recollect it having hardly any reference to the series except for Shin-chan's outfit. I was very disappointed, as I expected it to be more parody-like.
Agreed. Hell FUNimation even has familiarity with Lupin through their 10 Features, you'd think their Shin-chan Dub would go that route.

TheLiberator

• [Member]
« Reply #143 on: September 06, 2010, 04:17:37 pm »
Got a couple for you guys.  First, here's a picture from the first Megazone 23 OVA of two cops that look suspiciously familiar:

Here's another from later on in the OVA of Officer Lupin reloading his gun:

Finally, here's one from episode 24 of the original Macross TV series that appears to show an old friend of ours playing a Cagliostro themed arcade game:

Wow, I knew about Macross homage, but the Megazone 23 scenes are amazing! I also Lupin and Jigen make a cameo in Urusei Yatsura(which aired in the same time slot as Lupin III 2nd series, right after red jacket series ended.

In Excel Saga, a character named Nabeshin dresses up like Lupin and there is also an episode where a man disguises himself like Jigen.
I might be wrong but the guy who voiced Nabeshin also voiced Nabikov, the villain with horrendous laugh in 1999 TV Special "Fujiko's Unlucky Days : Da Capo of Love/Columbu Files", which he also directed.

I can't believe no one else has mentioned Excel Saga. There are a lot of Lupin references in that anime. Nabeshin looks just like Lupin III, except he has an afro. He is based off of and voiced by the director of Excel Saga, Shinichi Watanabe (the Japanese order being Watanabe Shinichi, which is where the nickname comes from). Nabeshin uses a lot of crazy gadgets, just like Lupin. The beginning of each episode of Excel Saga shows what kind of anime genre they'll be parodying, by having the author of the Excel Saga manga, Rikdo Koshi, give his permission to turn Excel Saga into whatever genre they're parodying. In one episode, it shows Rikdo Koshi chasing after Nabeshin, and he's dressed up just like Zenigata. Then in an homage to Castle of Cagliostro, Nabeshin is holding the two rings from the movie, and realizes that putting them together will solve the puzzle.

djcj

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #144 on: September 12, 2010, 09:05:02 am »
A pretty bad German stand up comedian. But I like his T-shirt, lol.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #145 on: September 15, 2010, 10:55:52 pm »
Is it just me, or is Di$ney mining Cagliostro for another animated film? Yeah, I know it's based off a fairy tale, but the way they're adapting it comes off very Lupin-esque.

Gold Demona

• Queen of the Easily Amused
  • Part of the Gang
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #146 on: September 16, 2010, 01:03:16 am »
Is it just me, or is Di$ney mining Cagliostro for another animated film? Yeah, I know it's based off a fairy tale, but the way they're adapting it comes off very Lupin-esque.

When I first saw the trailer for Tangled in theaters and they showed the main hero guy, my first thought was also "Lupin".
My brain didn't make any connection to Cagliostro because I knew it was based on the story of Rapunzel, which by itself is similar to Cagliostro in that it involves a Princess trapped in a tower by the story's villain.
I think the original story had a handsome prince, tho. :P

J B

• Part of the Gang
    • http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3154/65555664.jpg
« Reply #147 on: September 16, 2010, 04:20:33 am »
I know this is a thread about Lupin the Third references in other works, mainly, but sorry, I can't resist! I have to show this:

It's from episode 64, or the second Christmas episode, if I recall, and it's clearly a reference made to Star Wars and lightsabers!  ;D

KoichiZenigata

• Part of the Gang
    • Lupin has a podcast
« Reply #148 on: September 17, 2010, 10:26:08 pm »
A pretty bad German stand up comedian. But I like his T-shirt, lol.

I want that Shirt!!!!! O_O

Sabutaatti

• [Member]
  • LUPIIINN!!!
    • MAL
« Reply #149 on: September 22, 2010, 11:56:57 am »
Character design doesn't show any similarities (or ignore long hair and the shades) but the name (oh and that gun) would...Meet the Luis Mondo the Third in Animation Runner Kuromi!.

clip

Oh yeah and the other thing for the City Hunter fans - Studio Petitt's car which Kuromi uses is...