Author Topic: Lupin References/homages  (Read 170627 times)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Re: Lupin References/homages
« Reply #150 on: September 23, 2010, 05:28:42 am »
Yeah, Hojo's got MP's site linked to his, and told me he met MP in person.  ;D

KoichiZenigata

• Part of the Gang
  • Stealing Japan for a Year
    • Lupin has a podcast
« Reply #151 on: September 24, 2010, 10:45:29 pm »
as I was watching this
http://www.funimationchannel.com/
(the video)

I saw this guy on Baccano!

a bit like Goemon??

Sabutaatti

• [Member]
  • LUPIIINN!!!
    • MAL
« Reply #152 on: September 25, 2010, 04:15:55 am »
as I was watching this
(the video)

a bit like Goemon??
Isn't that Masanume Date from Sengoku Basara..well that's not his everyday look but he usually looks like this:
(click to show/hide)
it just pure coincidence that he look like that in one episode, I would say

KoichiZenigata

• Part of the Gang
    • Lupin has a podcast
« Reply #153 on: September 25, 2010, 10:36:52 am »

[/quote]
Isn't that Masanume Date from Sengoku Basara..well that's not his everyday look but he usually looks like this:
(click to show/hide)
it just pure coincidence that he look like that in one episode, I would say
[/quote]
idk, i dont even watch baccano i just happened to watch that video

Gold Demona

• Queen of the Easily Amused
  • Part of the Gang
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #154 on: September 25, 2010, 03:27:29 pm »
as I was watching this
(the video)

a bit like Goemon??

The clothes and sword fighting alone don't make the reference because it's traditional samurai garb and fighting style. =/

The only way this can be a Goemon reference would be is he swung his sword around inanimate objects like lightning and then have it all fall to pieces as he's putting his sword away. XD

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #155 on: November 27, 2010, 09:14:55 pm »
I noticed Lupin references in a few things.

For one you have the "Otaku No Video" which had the main otaku leader guy with an original "Cagliostro" poster in his room, and then those two cosplayers in the background dressed as green jacket Lupin and Jigen.

Then there was that sequence in Fooly Cooly where the dad mentions Cagliostro and Monkey sensai, and the whole imitation homage to the opening title sequence of the Red Jacket series.

I found a whole conversation about Lupin the 3rd in "Genshiken" where the characters were at the beach and the two most otaku of the group were building the Castle of Cagliostro out of sand, the clock tower and everything. And Modarame, the leader, was expressing his interest in the series, which movie he liked the most. One of the other guys there actually said he liked "The Fuma Conspiracy" the most, and I still don't know what's up with that, Fuma Conspiracy was not that good. Also Modarame goes into a explaination about a failed Lupin film that was supposed to be the 3rd movie, but it got scrapped and 2 years later, the "Gold of Babylon" was made in 1986.

The final sequence I can find was from "Shin Chan" with the whole Pupin the Turd episode. And I gotta say, that's a very good parodied name. It's just so perfect isn't it?

As for the Here Is Greenwood scene one of you guys found, that's fantastic, I have never seen a full reference to the movie like that before. It just amazes me to no end how much the Japanese care about that movie, and we don't. Why is it like the E.T. or Indiana Jones - Raiders of Japan, but the major anime lovers of America don't know about it and don't care about it the same way.

In fact, I wish it, and the other Miyazaki films could be cared about by the AFI or the other movie critics of the world. If films like Hidden Fortress and Seven Samurai can be on the top 100 movies list, and they are foreign films, then why can't "The Castle of Cagliostro" be in the top 25 animated films. Spirited Away is on that list, and I still don't know why, it wasn't even the best of Miyazaki, Princess Mononoke was, or at least it has a better chance of being. I wish someone could answer these questions for me, I am getting so off topic. X( XP

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #156 on: December 26, 2010, 08:43:05 pm »
Earlier, I was reading a Mad Magazine anthology, and happened to come across a feature by the legendary Sergio Aragones called "The Shadow Knows". It shows brief scenes of people in everyday life, while their shadows show what they're really thinking.
If that sounds familiar, you've probably read chapter 44 of the original manga (English title: "Smile for the Machine Gun"), which features Lupin's thoughts shown in the exact same way. It's definitely an homage, as MP's a self-admitted fan of Mad.

Here's some panels from "The Shadow Knows" (don't have access to my Lupin collection at this time, I'll have to post those later):
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

Inspector Zenigata

• Part of the Gang
  • Lupin Doujinshi Collector
« Reply #157 on: January 30, 2011, 11:07:15 pm »
so this new game came out the iPhone/Pod/Pad make your own assumpitions

Geist_MD

• Boogie Woogie Loog Shugie!
  • [Member]
  • The Coiled Shuffler
« Reply #158 on: February 01, 2011, 01:59:28 am »
so this new game came out the iPhone/Pod/Pad make your own assumpitions

There's the highly likely chance this is just a reference to Arsene Lupin and not Lupn III. See; Top hat, cane, black garb, monocle.
1-888-SPY-HARD

KoichiZenigata

• Part of the Gang
    • Lupin has a podcast
« Reply #159 on: February 01, 2011, 10:58:21 pm »
the games kinda fun,
mainly strategy

no references with Lupin the 3rd sadly, that I have found so far...

Jenko

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #160 on: February 10, 2011, 04:07:47 am »
Ì watched Panty and Stocking some weeks ago. Nothing special, but i liked  it more as they put in a blatant Lupin III Cagliostro reference. Can't remember the episode ( has to be early on ) but the stonehead from the Cagliostro-hall-trapdoor-scene appears and spits out a foto, with the same animation and sound.
BROKEN PASSWORD LINKS OH MY GOD WHAT THE F**K PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Sabutaatti

• [Member]
  • LUPIIINN!!!
    • MAL
« Reply #161 on: February 10, 2011, 12:02:39 pm »
Because my friend Lazymez is----lazy to write this one, I must do it *sigh*.

Those who are into Atlus' new game Catherine they probably have seen this already.

Green jacket Lupin in the Catherine's demo with the familiar theme  ;)

Sabutaatti

• [Member]
  • LUPIIINN!!!
    • MAL
« Reply #162 on: March 07, 2011, 11:37:50 am »
While watching Pokémon Best Wishes' preview of coming episodes (Team Rocket vs Team Plasma story arc), there was one character which didn't catch my interest unless one of the my buddies sayd:"Who is that character on the van?" "Hmm not sure but let's look more information if there's any...holy sh---!"

(click to show/hide)

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #163 on: March 16, 2011, 05:55:58 pm »
An homage to Jigen is in fact in Animaniacs. Here's a shot of it.

Yeah yeah, now that's awesome. Cause a while back, I hadn't made all the connections yet that TMS actually owned Lupin and animated him along with Animaniacs and Tiny Toons. But I was watching "Farewell To Nostradamus" and saw Lupin switching through TV channels, and it brought up a generic cartoon of a cat and a mouse chasing each other, and it was animated EXACTLY like Tiny Toons or Animaniacs. At least when TMS does the animation. Both those cartoons had other, sometimes crappier animation houses working on them as well. Only when TMS worked on them though, was it actually awesome. That's what I say.

So to know that they referenced Jigen in a cartoon is awesome. But I think we all would've rather seen Lupin referenced in a cartoon am I right. Then we would know for certain that they were trying to make a connection for foreign fans to catch. =P

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #164 on: March 17, 2011, 04:02:06 pm »
An homage to Jigen is in fact in Animaniacs. Here's a shot of it.

I appologize if one of you guys was the one that uploaded this, and or one of you already posted this link. But here is a video confirming the Animaniacs like characters in "Farewell To Nostradamus," along with that scene from Animaniacs with Jigen in the Hay bail cart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMaYG3tl3dI