Author Topic: Lupin References/homages  (Read 170633 times)

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
Re: Lupin References/homages
« Reply #210 on: April 12, 2012, 11:32:03 pm »
Apparently, this guy takes Goemon cosplay a little too seriously. Start at 6:27. Thanks to @debaoki for the link.
Wow! That was absolutely fantastic!

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #211 on: June 28, 2012, 12:26:08 am »
One of the girls in Upotte!! episode 3 says, "Once again, I have shot a worthless object" at the shooting range.

And one of the Spongebob animators admits to being a Lupin fan. Thanks to @chiaki747 for the link.

Furthermore, volume 11 of Bakuman mentions Lupin and Goemon.

Update: The 70s live-action Lupin movie poster is hanging on someone's wall in the 2010 live-action The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

victorystar

• Part of the Gang
  • I happen to be very knowledgeable at this!
« Reply #212 on: June 28, 2012, 12:49:14 am »
Hehe check out what I found. Earlier I was telling a friend about the new Lupin the III first series DVD set and it led to a discussion on Castle of Cagliostro and it's influences on animation and other work and one thing led to another and it sparked her memory of a reference to the show most people tend to miss.

Viola~

I mean look at it! It looks just like the city for Cagliostro. There's even the village, the bridge, the tower, the place where Clarrise was in the scene where Lupin and her have their second meeting and if you look at the bottom the Roman city is there too! Talk about an homage.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 02:50:40 am by victorystar »

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #213 on: June 28, 2012, 02:31:14 am »
An excellent homage I was unaware of, for sure. Thanks for sharing it.

The DYKG? image says it was "copied straight," but it's definitely been changed. Obviously, the Roman city wouldn't be buried so deep underground. The bridge between the castle and the village is much shorter, here the lengthy aqueduct is between the two (in the film the aqueduct connects the castle to the ruins by the clock tower). Clarisse's tower is also much taller than the castle in Dracula X, where they're a comparable height in the film.

Don't mean to downplay the fact that it's an homage, but the site was incorrect to call it a straight copy.
-R. Nelson

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #214 on: June 28, 2012, 06:42:43 pm »
Hehe check out what I found. Earlier I was telling a friend about the new Lupin the III first series DVD set and it led to a discussion on Castle of Cagliostro and it's influences on animation and other work and one thing led to another and it sparked her memory of a reference to the show most people tend to miss.

Viola~

I mean look at it! It looks just like the city for Cagliostro. There's even the village, the bridge, the tower, the place where Clarrise was in the scene where Lupin and her have their second meeting and if you look at the bottom the Roman city is there too! Talk about an homage.

An excellent homage I was unaware of, for sure. Thanks for sharing it.

The DYKG? image says it was "copied straight," but it's definitely been changed. Obviously, the Roman city wouldn't be buried so deep underground. The bridge between the castle and the village is much shorter, here the lengthy aqueduct is between the two (in the film the aqueduct connects the castle to the ruins by the clock tower). Clarisse's tower is also much taller than the castle in Dracula X, where they're a comparable height in the film.

Don't mean to downplay the fact that it's an homage, but the site was incorrect to call it a straight copy.

Actually I found this one about 3 years back when I was looking through Google Images for hours on end for Lupin stuff. But I am quite impressed that someone actually made an official account of this Castlevania fact in a little image.
I had no idea there was a website like that. lol  ;D

Very sweet find.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #215 on: July 02, 2012, 01:06:35 am »
I'm kind of wondering if Bruce Lee saw green jacket, because like Lupin, in Chinese Connection/Fist of Fury, he pretends to be a maintenance man to get into a building.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #216 on: July 04, 2012, 01:13:11 am »

Just got done watching This Means War with Chris Pine and Tom Hardy.

Very very enjoyable action-spy-romantic-comedy. I find it kind of cool that while there used to be action comedies in the past, now they actually make the action comedies look like action movies in their cinematography (like all serious and dramatic), but make them act like comedies in their camera direction and cutting. Makes for a much more believable merge of the genres.

Anyway,
there were some shots and action stunts in the movie's climax that reminded me of the car chase from the beginning of Cagliostro. In this car chase, the girl that both Chris (FDR) and Tom (Tuck) are dating is in a bright yellow beetle, stuck between four black SUVs, and Chris and Tom are trying to get her out before any negotiations have to take place between them and this bad guy named Heinrich.

Chris and Tom get the girl out by driving up fast in a Jeep, Chris hanging out the side with his limbs holding tightly; then leaping off, grabbing the girl, and leaping back onto the Jeep. After which, Tom takes out one of the SUV's tires with his gun and the SUV explodes.

Now... with what I've just said, we now have...
1. Chris hanging out the side of a car trying to get to a girl in another car: just like Lupin did to get to Clarisse.
2. Tom taking out a villain's car tires with a gun: just like Jigen did with his gun and the henchmen in the dark vehicle. (also the windshields on these SUVs were bullet proof, just like the tires were in Cagliostro).
3. a bright yellow Volkswagen Beetle, which is almost the same color as Lupin's late '60s "Fiat 500."

Yellow Beetle
Fiat 500
Red Jeep

It's almost like a mirror image isn't it. lol ;D 8)

I'm just as inclined to believe this is all just coincidence. But I think the inclusion of a bright yellow compact car and a red vehicle with a small front windshield (just like Clarisse's car was) makes it all the more possible that this car chase was an homage to "Cagliostro"; but it was carefully camouflaged with elements switched around and moved around so that only if you have seen the whole sequence from Cagliostro can you connect the dots.

Has anyone else seen This Means War who might agree with me, at least a little on this possibility?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 01:22:36 am by FilmmakerJ »

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #217 on: July 10, 2012, 09:55:01 pm »
Come on guys, you gotta check out what I just posted above, I really want to hear your opinions about This Means War

Along with that, I just finished watching The Goonies, and I have just confirmed for all to read, that an actual "Cliff Hanger" video arcade game is in the movie in the opening sequence. No footage from the game is on screen, just the green box level number screen. But it's the right color blue, the controls are the same, and you can just make out the left side of the arcade decoration with Lupin in his red jacket, and that unknown female on the bottom left.

But there's something else, yet again a scene from The Castle of Cagliostro can be argued is referenced in this film. The scene where Lupin falls down that shaft in Clarisse's bedroom and stops himself from hitting the spikes by using his grappling hook. But in The Goonies, it's Data who has a grappling hook in his belt buckle, made out of a pair of toy clacker teeth attached to a slinky. He falls down a shaft where the floor drops out of under him, and he stops himself with the clacker teeth before he hits some spikes. I have no doubt in my mind, someone on the story team had seen Cagliostro. Or more likely saw that scene from the "Cliff Hanger" game. I don't remember if that particular scene is featured in the game. But there is reasonable evidence that someone had seen one or the other, it's just too close to not make the connection. And nothing like that I have ever seen in any other adventure movie.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #218 on: July 14, 2012, 07:21:21 pm »
Knowing how badly FOX ripped off Perfect Blue, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some Lupin fans at that company, too. Though Knight & Day seems more Lupin-esque as a whole.

Edit: Yeah, after seeing the last ep of the original show, there's no way Spielberg's not a Lupin fan. They nuked the fridge, just like in Indy 4.

Edit 2: While it doesn't prove he likes Lupin, Quentin Tarantino apparently at least likes the Lupin idea of coming up with relatives of non-public domain characters.   ;)

TheLiberator

• [Member]
« Reply #219 on: July 18, 2012, 03:00:16 am »
In episode 12 of the anime Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, the teacher, Itoshiki Nozomu, tells his students about "backwards flow", where people get involved in something in an unusual and/or unintended order, such as getting into a manga series after playing the pachinko game based off of it. He says that the greatest example of backwards flow is how Kanichi Kurita was originally a comedian who impersonated Lupin's voice, and ended up becoming the actual voice actor for Lupin.

gothichyppie

• [Member]
  • Road buddies...
« Reply #220 on: July 29, 2012, 01:27:50 pm »
I was browsing through Ralph Bakshi's filmography and came upon 'Hey Good Lookin' ' (1982) -

Perhaps not intentional but still...

Ichi........................................ ni........................................ TROIS!

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #221 on: July 29, 2012, 09:03:01 pm »
This isn't really a Reference or Homage, it's more or less just a similar looking thing. It's a painting that I saw this morning at a friend's house, painted by artist Sung Kim.

It has that typical pastel, Thomas Kinkade kind of colors, which is one of my favorite painting conventions/styles. Here we see a Gazebo in the middle of a lake, with stepping stones leading to it.

I'm not sure how common this architecture is, how many wealthy people or middle-class folks might have it on their property; but none-the-less it is absolutely gorgeous, and it reminds me heavily of the same sort of architecture just down the staircase from the burned castle of the King and Queen of the Dutchy of Cagliostro, where Lupin reminesces about his first meeting with Clarisse.

When I first saw those stepping stones and that Gazebo, I instantly knew that I wanted to one day have that in my own backyard, facing the West so that the setting sun would hit it the exact same way, over-looking a large (possibly man-made) lake.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #222 on: July 31, 2012, 12:05:42 am »
The Jonathan Clements commentary track for The Professional: Golgo 13 gives a nod to Lupin. We really should get a crossover by now, Japan.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #223 on: July 31, 2012, 01:04:19 am »
The Jonathan Clements commentary track for The Professional: Golgo 13 gives a nod to Lupin. We really should get a crossover by now, Japan.

Actually, I was hoping there would be a cross-over of "Cowboy Bebop" and "Lupin III."
There actually was a piece of artwork to that effect, and I thought it was a legit film in production.

This could happen one of two ways:
1. It's actually Lupin the 8th or somewhere up there, that way there's a reason why it's the future and he's in space.
2. Either Lupin or more likely Spike manages to time travel for a few days and Spike gets the bounty notice to capture Lupin the 3rd. The better situation, though, would be that Lupin and the gang, along with Zenigata (though he's not entirely necessary) would go to the future, and after a few months they get used to the future, and Spike then gets the bounty to capture Lupin. And it would be all mysterious as to who it is, until much much later, it is revealed that it's Lupin the 3rd. We wouldn't know he's in it at all in the beginning.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #224 on: August 04, 2012, 04:02:07 am »
@Angeltouchplus and @dillo_dillo noticed Tour De France bicyclist Bradley Wiggins can pass for Lupin.  8)