Author Topic: Lupin References/homages  (Read 177267 times)

FilmmakerJ

Re: Lupin References/homages
« Reply #225 on: August 04, 2012, 11:03:13 am »
@Angeltouchplus and @dillo_dillo noticed Tour De France bicyclist Bradley Wiggins can pass for Lupin.  8)

Ah ha, very nice. :D

See this is what I mean when I talk about casting people who look like Lupin, rather than who fits his ethnicity or lineage. Western folks will always look more like him than Asian ones. The only exception would be Yasuo Yamada himself.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #226 on: August 07, 2012, 04:22:07 pm »
Apparently, the Nadesico/Bodacious Space Pirates guy is also a fan of Cagliostro.

Mr.Lupin

• Old-school Superfan
« Reply #227 on: August 08, 2012, 11:17:18 am »
Ok I see no mention of the Panty Stocking Garterbelt monkey lawyer in episode 8 , and I believe the garbage chute scene (sewer entrance?) in episode 3 , where after the Anarchy sisters go down the hole a statue takes a polaroid of it.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #228 on: August 08, 2012, 01:13:55 pm »
Ok I see no mention of the Panty Stocking Garterbelt monkey lawyer in episode 8 , and I believe the garbage chute scene (sewer entrance?) in episode 3 , where after the Anarchy sisters go down the hole a statue takes a polaroid of it.

Seems like everywhere you turn, it's nearly always a reference to the "Cagliostro" Lupin, and not much red jacket. I guess the Japanese have come to love it after all these years.

I mean you got the students recreating a scene on the floor in "Here Is Greenwood."
The "Pupin' the Turd" episode of "Shin Chan." (that is such a perfect parody name too.)
The car chase and dropping trap door references in "Sgt. Frog"
The Castle of Cagliostro poster and cosplayers shown in "Otaku No Video"
Cagliostro sand castle "Genshiken"
I remember someone mentioning a "Cliffhanger" arcade imitation in I think "Macross," though I'm not certain.

But of course there are many, MANY more. I'm not sure why no one else has mentioned these Panty/Stocking references though. I haven't seen it yet, but you'd think no one on this forum would miss that if they did see the show.

These references are all the more reason I have to check out more of the Panty and Stocking series. I only saw the first 2 episodes so far.

LadyLupin

• Part of the Gang
  • Lady Lupin Sansei
    • Lupin the 3rd Press
« Reply #229 on: August 08, 2012, 02:19:53 pm »

Seems like everywhere you turn, it's nearly always a reference to the "Cagliostro" Lupin, and not much red jacket. I guess the Japanese have come to love it after all these years.

I mean you got the students recreating a scene on the floor in "Here Is Greenwood."
The "Pupin' the Turd" episode of "Shin Chan." (that is such a perfect parody name too.)
I remember someone mentioning a "Cliffhanger" arcade imitation in I think "Macross," though I'm not certain.

But of course there are many, MANY more. I'm not sure why no one else has mentioned these Panty/Stocking references though. I haven't seen it yet, but you'd think no one on this forum would miss that if they did see the show.

These references are all the more reason I have to check out more of the Panty and Stocking series. I only saw the first 2 episodes so far.

There was a red jacket Lupin in Otaku no Video. I believe it was a picture or a doll. I can't recall which.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #230 on: August 08, 2012, 03:04:29 pm »

There was a red jacket Lupin in Otaku no Video. I believe it was a picture or a doll. I can't recall which.

Oh I'm not saying there aren't red jacket references. There are the two characters from the newer "Cutey Honey" OVAs and the cosplay reference in "FLCL." But more often then naught, it's just Cagliostro/Green Jacket Lupin references in other animes.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #231 on: August 08, 2012, 04:26:48 pm »
I notice Leo is driving a similar color and model of Mercedes as Lupin in the trailer for the updated version of Gatsby.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #232 on: August 08, 2012, 11:02:23 pm »
It seems they're using a yellow Fiat quite often in FIAT 500 US ads. It must be the signature color for the FIAT, which is probably why Lupin was given the same color.

So here's Lupin driving around the Amalfi Coast (joking of course):

victorystar

• Part of the Gang
  • I happen to be very knowledgeable at this!
« Reply #233 on: August 09, 2012, 11:28:30 am »
It seems they're using a yellow Fiat quite often in FIAT 500 US ads. It must be the signature color for the FIAT, which is probably why Lupin was given the same color.

So here's Lupin driving around the Amalfi Coast (joking of course):

I remember hearing Reed say in the Fuma Conspiracy Commentary that the reason Lupin was given the yellow Fiat (or any Fiat for that matter) was because someone at the production studio had one which they used as a model for Lupin's car from then on (the Mercedes Lupin has is hard to find and much so to draw). Or something like that.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #234 on: August 09, 2012, 01:22:48 pm »
I remember hearing Reed say in the Fuma Conspiracy Commentary that the reason Lupin was given the yellow Fiat (or any Fiat for that matter) was because someone at the production studio had one which they used as a model for Lupin's car from then on (the Mercedes Lupin has is hard to find and much so to draw). Or something like that.

Sounds like it was a good idea.
He probably drove a Mercedes Benz SSK to look vintage back in the 60s, like he owns a lot of special and unique items to give himself an edge. But then they gave him a contemporary car which might have looked odd at the time (like seeing Lupin drive a Toyota Camry or a Honda Accord today). But now that they've let him keep the 1960s FIAT 500 model (in the new millenium) instead of giving him the modern FIAT 500 design, he has now retained his antique, eclectic persona.

victorystar

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #235 on: August 10, 2012, 12:25:26 am »
I don't know if anyone mentioned it in this thread already but Cowboy Bebop is probably one of the most well known and best Lupin homages of all time (it's also kind of funny how it's way more popular than Lupin in the US). Even though they are on different sides of the law with Lupin's gang being thieves and the Bebop crew being bounty hunters you still can see a lot of the same character types represented in the series. The series is more inspired by the darker episodes of the first series though with an even mix of things like the more jazzy soundtrack of the second series and beyond.

http://www.imgbase.info/images/safe-wallpapers/anime/cowboy_bebop/6524_cowboy_bebop_hd_wallpapers.jpg

Spike = Lupin. Even though he is way more laid back and not as much a woman chaser as Lupin he still has that same charisma as him and kind of feels like a less goofy Cagliostro Lupin. Also he has the same boots as Lupin so there's that too.

Jet = Jigen. He's Spike's partner in crime and has that laid back attitude Jigen does to. You can also see the same type of friendship they hold to the point of living with each other and having a deep trust for each other in their missions He also has that same distrusting attitude towards woman and you can see in how he treats the Fujiko shoutout.

Faye = Fujiko. Even though Fujiko is a lot more sexual and sneaky Faye isn't above ripping off the group in the same way Fujiko does even though Spike doesn't show an attraction to her in the way Lupin does with Fujiko (or almost at all it seems) 

All in all it's a great Lupin homage and I'm glad it's as popular as it is now.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #236 on: August 10, 2012, 12:45:46 am »
I don't know if anyone mentioned it in this thread already but Cowboy Bebop is probably one of the most well known and best Lupin homages of all time (it's also kind of funny how it's way more popular than Lupin in the US). Even though they are on different sides of the law with Lupin's gang being thieves and the Bebop crew being bounty hunters you still can see a lot of the same character types represented in the series. The series is more inspired by the darker episodes of the first series though with an even mix of things like the more jazzy soundtrack of the second series and beyond.

http://www.imgbase.info/images/safe-wallpapers/anime/cowboy_bebop/6524_cowboy_bebop_hd_wallpapers.jpg

Spike = Lupin. Even though he is way more laid back and not as much a woman chaser as Lupin he still has that same charisma as him and kind of feels like a less goofy Cagliostro Lupin. Also he has the same boots as Lupin so there's that too.

Jet = Jigen. He's Spike's partner in crime and has that laid back attitude Jigen does to. You can also see the same type of friendship they hold to the point of living with each other and having a deep trust for each other in their missions He also has that same distrusting attitude towards woman and you can see in how he treats the Fujiko shoutout.

Faye = Fujiko. Even though Fujiko is a lot more sexual and sneaky Faye isn't above ripping off the group in the same way Fujiko does even though Spike doesn't show an attraction to her in the way Lupin does with Fujiko (or almost at all it seems) 

All in all it's a great Lupin homage and I'm glad it's as popular as it is now.

Cowboy Bebop is a virtual "given" when people suggest stuff that one should see if they liked "Lupin the 3rd," and vice-versa. I've never heard it all spelled out before, but we've known for quite some time that it is heavily inspired by Lupin.

The only reason I think Lupin isn't as well known or liked as "Cowboy Bebop" is that Lupin does not have as realistic of a style to it's designs and it's universe. Cowboy Bebop is gritty, has a realistic color palette; it's also fairly violent and deep, and there are character archs that occur throughout the series for both Spike and Faye. Lupin does not often have this. Lupin's films and episodes are also more comical and require a certain type of person to fully enjoy them. Not every Star Trek/Star Wars fan (the two biggest geek groups in the world) is likely to enjoy a Lupin installment, but they are likely to enjoy Bebop, and not just because it takes place in space. lol

« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 12:52:23 am by FilmmakerJ »

victorystar

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #237 on: August 10, 2012, 12:53:58 am »
Funny image FilmmakerJ. Reminds me how easy a crossover would write itself.

I think the reason it's not as well known is less that of what you mentioned (even though those are very good reasons) and more so Bebop having aired continuously in the US for the past 12 years giving people a lot of chances to start on it. Lupin wasn't so lucky however.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 12:55:07 am by victorystar »

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #238 on: August 10, 2012, 01:13:21 am »
Funny image FilmmakerJ. Reminds me how easy a crossover would write itself.

I think the reason it's not as well known is less that of what you mentioned (even though those are very good reasons) and more so Bebop having aired continuously in the US for the past 12 years giving people a lot of chances to start on it. Lupin wasn't so lucky however.

Yes, that is definitely the other main reason. But I think that reason only exists because of the other. It's not just the viewers who preferred one over the other, it was the TV producers and executives. Lupin might have looked like a PBS cartoon compared to the gritty realistic style of Bebop, and was a little too old for the TV executives to have any faith in it. Likely they were quite skeptical and not as comfortable trying it out in too many places other than Adult Swim. So they preferred to air Bebop.

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #239 on: August 10, 2012, 03:22:20 am »
Lupin did it first but Bebop did it better ?

On a side note, the japanese fanartist who did this drawing of Lupin III
meeting Cowboy Bebop is very talented but it seems he shut down his website.
Maybe because so much people stole his artwork...

He's on pixiv anyways.
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !