Author Topic: Lupin References/homages  (Read 170618 times)

victorystar

• Part of the Gang
  • I happen to be very knowledgeable at this!
Re: Lupin References/homages
« Reply #240 on: August 10, 2012, 03:34:31 am »
I think there are certain things each did better than the other Red Dear.

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #241 on: August 10, 2012, 05:39:45 am »
You're right, victorystar. My sentence was more a parody of
the Marvel v.s DC comics statement than a real opinion.

I think that the humour is what makes Lupin different from Cowboy bebop
and unique. Even the manga was fun at its core and used a lot of the parody
tactic. I don't think a completely serious and gritty Lupin would work very well.

But don't get me wrong, Coboy Bebop is one of my most favorite series ever and I haven't
fully recovered from the emotionnal turmoil yet.

Speaking of hommages, some japanese-french animator made a pilot episode for a series that seems
to have been canceled entitled "R
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 05:41:04 am by Red Dear »
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #242 on: August 12, 2012, 07:14:40 pm »
He might've just been trying to amuse me, but Sledge Hammer/Bullet in the Face creator Alan Spencer liked my comment on his FB page about how he should bogart the Hollywood Lupin from Gerald Molen.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #243 on: August 12, 2012, 07:28:22 pm »
By the way, what has Gerald Molen been doing this whole time? Is he any closer to getting this live-action movie going or what?

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #244 on: August 12, 2012, 08:43:09 pm »
No, he's just hating on Obama.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #245 on: August 12, 2012, 08:56:08 pm »
Well I don't see what the point is of buying any sort of property distribution or adaptation rights if you're not going to stinkin' use 'em right away. I mean the better thing to do would be to get somebody to write up a script, pitch the script and the franchise adaptation to a production company, get the green light from them to attempt to acquire the rights, and then move right into some form of production.

But if that isn't the best course of action, then at least have some material prepared before hand so you know in which direction you're going. Holding onto the domestic rights for this long is just a waste incase someone else had the idea to get right on making a film besides him.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #246 on: August 13, 2012, 03:35:58 am »
Tweet that to James Cameron.  ;)

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #247 on: August 13, 2012, 11:57:35 am »
Well I don't see what the point is of buying any sort of property distribution or adaptation rights if you're not going to stinkin' use 'em right away. I mean the better thing to do would be to get somebody to write up a script, pitch the script and the franchise adaptation to a production company, get the green light from them to attempt to acquire the rights, and then move right into some form of production.

But if that isn't the best course of action, then at least have some material prepared before hand so you know in which direction you're going. Holding onto the domestic rights for this long is just a waste incase someone else had the idea to get right on making a film besides him.

Okay, I must be an idiot for saying that last line there. Of course no one would want someone else to get the rights to make a movie instead of them. But I still don't get why they wouldn't get right on it and make the damnn movie. Why wait around for 5 years or more and not get any closer to making one?

sprak

• Cliff Hanger
    • Lupin III Encyclopedia
« Reply #248 on: August 16, 2012, 01:17:43 pm »
Well I don't see what the point is of buying any sort of property distribution or adaptation rights if you're not going to stinkin' use 'em right away.

You buy them up so someone else can't. And Molen, et. al. did try to do something with them right away. They worked on at least a treatment, if not a script, for the film; they likely shopped it around and found no takers. Welcome to development hell...

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #249 on: August 16, 2012, 01:52:12 pm »
Well I don't see what the point is of buying any sort of property distribution or adaptation rights if you're not going to stinkin' use 'em right away.

You buy them up so someone else can't. And Molen, et. al. did try to do something with them right away. They worked on at least a treatment, if not a script, for the film; they likely shopped it around and found no takers. Welcome to development hell...

I already owned up to to that flubb in the post before your's.

Still I can't image why someone wouldn't like the Lupin material, it's just as awesome as anything else out there right now, if it would only be done right. So either the treatment is crap, or the money backers are confused as to what Lupin is and what it's potential is.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #250 on: August 16, 2012, 04:27:01 pm »
Knowing Hollywood, they probably just don't like the idea of casting a Japanese sidekick and love interest.  ::)

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #251 on: August 16, 2012, 04:41:04 pm »
Knowing Hollywood, they probably just don't like the idea of casting a Japanese sidekick and love interest.  ::)

Well then why don't they just make them not Japanese? Sure that would be white-washing everybody (the only one I'd rather see played by at least a French guy would be Lupin); but that's what Hollywood all the time.

But even then, that doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Tons of movies have had Asian actors play either the lead role or the side-kick. Jackie Chan has done this multiple times. So why would Hollywood be skeptical about it now?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 04:42:09 pm by FilmmakerJ »

sprak

• Cliff Hanger
    • Lupin III Encyclopedia
« Reply #252 on: August 16, 2012, 10:38:11 pm »
But even then, that doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Tons of movies have had Asian actors play either the lead role or the side-kick.

I think we have differing views on "tons". ;)

Jackie Chan has done this multiple times. So why would Hollywood be skeptical about it now?

Jackie is a rare exception; he had a huge cult following here already. Bringing over some of his films, e.g., Rumble in the Bronx, showed he could pull in the numbers enough to warrant a buddy pic.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #253 on: August 25, 2012, 10:59:25 pm »
Though in Lupin's defense, it's not the only live-action adaptation which makes sense, but which Hollywood keeps stalling on indefinitely. There's also Noir and Kite.

Edit: Lupin's mentioned in the first volume of CLAMP's Man of Many Faces.

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #254 on: August 29, 2012, 09:35:28 pm »
My bad if somebody already posted this, but Lupin III has now planted the seed of it's epicness into Pokemon.