Author Topic: Lupin References/homages  (Read 170405 times)

FilmmakerJ

Re: Lupin References/homages
« Reply #255 on: August 29, 2012, 11:05:01 pm »
My bad if somebody already posted this, but Lupin III has now planted the seed of it's epicness into Pokemon.

Now that I had not heard.

Of course I'm not at all a Pokemon fan, never have been. But that's pretty darn cool.  ;D

victorystar

• Part of the Gang
  • I happen to be very knowledgeable at this!
« Reply #256 on: August 29, 2012, 11:23:44 pm »
My bad if somebody already posted this, but Lupin III has now planted the seed of it's epicness into Pokemon.

Oh my god until you posted this I never noticed how much Looker was like Zenigata (dedicated cop) and Lupin (master of disguise) all in one. That's an awesome find man. Thanks for finally making me realize that.

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #257 on: August 30, 2012, 06:02:33 am »
Oh my god until you posted this I never noticed how much Looker was like Zenigata (dedicated cop) and Lupin (master of disguise) all in one. That's an awesome find man. Thanks for finally making me realize that.

;D No problem! Apparently, according to Bulbapedia:
Character origin
It is possible that Looker's looks, attire, and general persona are derived from Koichi Zenigata, a fictional detective in Monkey Punch's anime series, Lupin the Third. Lupin the Third itself was initially released in Japan around the time that many of the highly ranked staff members of Game Freak were young.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 06:06:00 am by SolHerald »

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #258 on: September 13, 2012, 12:53:14 am »
Didn't know Alan Moore was at least an Arsene Lupin fan.  ;D Also, Lupin's Mercedes shows up at the beginning of this ep of Sket Dance as a wind-up toy. They call it a "Pentz" though.

Edit: Apparently, some RL ban robbers are fans of Cagliostro:P

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #259 on: September 14, 2012, 08:20:07 pm »
I'm not sure if I mentioned this before. I may have waaay back when I first became a member.

Anyway, an OVA inside look into the world of anime production called "Animation Runner Kuromi" made a parody homage to Lupin the 3rd with a character called Louis Mond. (at least I think that's how it should be spelled. lol)

Here's the main homage/parody sequence from the OVA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXqH894-yWA&t=2m35s

In the context of the show, this Lupin parody is supposed to be the main character's favorite hero and favorite animated series. She is shocked to find out that one of her new co-workers did inbetween work on some of the "Louis Mond" episodes. Which is the equivilent of one of us meeting one of the guys who animated the car chase sequence in Cagliostro or Mamo.

This would also make the main character of "Animation Runner Kuromi" a fellow Lupinite of sorts. One of the only Lupin Loving specific anime fans I have ever seen portrayed in an anime before. That's including what I've seen from "Otaku No Video" and "Genshiken."

Edit: Whoops! :o Actually someone other than me already mentioned this. -Sabutaatti- a few years back apparently did back on page 10, near the bottom. He also grabbed some better pics.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 09:49:19 pm by FilmmakerJ »

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #260 on: September 23, 2012, 06:18:53 pm »
So in the Black Dynamite "Race War" episode, there's a third generation George Washington Carver.  ;)

Edit: Is Stallone and/or John Landis a Cagliostro fan?

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #261 on: September 23, 2012, 07:55:27 pm »
So in the Black Dynamite "Race War" episode, there's a third generation George Washington Carver.  ;)

Edit: Is Stallone and/or John Landis a Cagliostro fan?

I think that's a bit of a stretch, GASTU. lol

There are more than enough movies with somebody hanging off a clock tower or a clock face. Like "Hugo" or "The Great Mouse Detective" (which had the interior scene that is often assumed to be derivative of Cagliostro), Disney's "Peter Pan," I think even "The Hudsucker Proxy" had a clock face in it too when Norville Barns is about to jump.

And besides, nobody was hanging off the one in Cagliostro like that anyway.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #262 on: September 23, 2012, 10:39:54 pm »
(WARNING) THIS VIDEO IS A LITTLE PERVERTED

Um, I hope I'm not putting this up here in bad taste. If either of you moderators find this inappropriate, please feel free to take it down.

But I just saw the trailer for the "Kekko Kamen" DVD by ADV, and I saw there was a clear reference to the first episode of Lupin the 3rd: Part 1 (aka the Green Jacket series), where Fujiko is tortured with all of those tiny robotic hands with tiny cartoon gloves. Although in this case it's supposed to be much more kinky.

Again, I couldn't pass up mentioning this, but if it's in bad taste I don't mind it being removed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOwKFaDUSKM

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #263 on: September 30, 2012, 07:15:41 pm »
Kekko Kamen's also got a pervy samurai who reminds me a bit of Goemon.  ;D

Edit: Sounds a bit Lupin-esque.

victorystar

• Part of the Gang
  • I happen to be very knowledgeable at this!
« Reply #264 on: October 01, 2012, 03:29:36 am »

There are more than enough movies with somebody hanging off a clock tower or a clock face. Like "The Great Mouse Detective" (which had the interior scene that is often assumed to be derivative of Cagliostro),

I remember reading somewhere and I'm decently sure that the Clock Tower fight in Mouse Detective was a full on homage to the one in Cagliostro.

If not I watched Mouse Detective for nothing because that was the only part of the movie that really shined and was something that still felt fresh to me.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #265 on: October 02, 2012, 04:26:07 pm »
Bakuman 15 also mentioned Lupin III.  ;D

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #266 on: October 02, 2012, 04:56:30 pm »
Bakuman 15 also mentioned Lupin III.  ;D

Do you intentionally go out and look for things that reference Lupin? Cause you seem to find a lot of them more than the rest of us.  ;D

But seriously, good work GATSU, you're one of the best.

BTW, think any of "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" is a little Cagliostro-ish?

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #267 on: October 02, 2012, 05:59:11 pm »
Well, I've been theorizing that the whole Indiana Jones series as a whole was a reaction to Spielberg's alleged love of Lupin.

Edit: It's also totally different from his style, but Koike's favorite Lupin appears to be Cagliostro.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 07:06:54 pm by GATSU »

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #268 on: October 02, 2012, 08:27:08 pm »
Well, I've been theorizing that the whole Indiana Jones series as a whole was a reaction to Spielberg's alleged love of Lupin.

Edit: It's also totally different from his style, but Koike's favorite Lupin appears to be Cagliostro.

Well Spielberg has allegedly only seen the car chase sequence from the beginning of the movie; hence the tagline on both the Streamline and the Manga Ent DVD releases.

And George Lucas came up with the idea for Indiana Jones based off corny adventure serials just like Star Wars was.

Raiders and Cagliostro are only 2 years apart. The early subbed premiere of Cagliostro in Los Angeles was slightly later in mid 1980 or so. Raiders came out in 1981. So I'm not sure if Spielberg would have built that much of Indiana off of one movie.

But, as I've mentioned before, there are shots in both Cagliostro and Temple of Doom where somebody gets crushed by a piece of machinery. The Goonies has a scene where Data falls down a trap door and catches himself by grappling to the ceiling with something that shoots from his belt. And The Last Crusade has Indiana Jones infiltrating a castle while in disguise and then climbing to the roof to break in through a window to rescue someone (his father of course).

So I'm not sure when or how he saw the film, or if he's seen any other Lupin title; but there is evidence to suggest that either he saw it, or someone on his story team did. But I don't think it was an intentional agenda through the whole trilogy, though.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #269 on: October 03, 2012, 12:43:20 am »
Filmmaker:
And George Lucas came up with the idea for Indiana Jones based off corny adventure serials just like Star Wars was. Raiders and Cagliostro are only 2 years apart.

Yeah, but they didn't start shooting Raiders until after Cagliostro came out.   And notice that the first location Wikipedia mentions is France. Cagliostro was playing at Cannes that year. Do the math. ;)

Edit: Oh, it didn't play at Cannes.  :( OTOH, he did work with Toshiro Mifune on 1941. So maybe he had time to visit Japan and see Cagliostro there.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 12:52:23 am by GATSU »