Author Topic: Lupin References/homages  (Read 177298 times)

FilmmakerJ

Re: Lupin References/homages
« Reply #270 on: October 03, 2012, 05:33:43 am »
Filmmaker:
And George Lucas came up with the idea for Indiana Jones based off corny adventure serials just like Star Wars was. Raiders and Cagliostro are only 2 years apart.

Yeah, but they didn't start shooting Raiders until after Cagliostro came out.   And notice that the first location Wikipedia mentions is France. Cagliostro was playing at Cannes that year. Do the math. ;)

Edit: Oh, it didn't play at Cannes.  :( OTOH, he did work with Toshiro Mifune on 1941. So maybe he had time to visit Japan and see Cagliostro there.

Okay, that's more likely. Because there isn't really anything Cagliostro-ish about Radiers, but Temple of Doom and The Last Crusade are a little. So if he caught it around 1983 or '84, then it makes sense.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #271 on: October 09, 2012, 10:37:12 pm »
Statham the Third:P

Edit: Oh, and Jude Law the Third::)

Edit 2: Ben Affleck the third;D

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #272 on: October 11, 2012, 04:05:14 pm »
Here we have "Ghost Trick: The Phantom Detective."

I have never played this game, but my sister has.

Anybody else play it and notice that Sessil looks like Lupin the 3rd if they crossed him with Vash the Stampede?

FlippytheMaster

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #273 on: October 11, 2012, 07:55:47 pm »

Anybody else play it and notice that Sessil looks like Lupin the 3rd if they crossed him with Vash the Stampede?

I love that game, but he always reminded me more of Kamina from Gurren Lagann...
I can see the resemblance though..

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #274 on: October 11, 2012, 08:20:36 pm »

I love that game, but he always reminded me more of Kamina from Gurren Lagann...

Yeah I should have said Kamina as well, because of the glasses. But I said lUpin because the whole outfit is clearly modeled after his, and since it's all read and he has really tall yellow hair, I thought it looked a lot like Vash.

But yes, he gives me that Kamina feeling as well.

FlippytheMaster

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #275 on: October 11, 2012, 09:26:21 pm »

Yeah I should have said Kamina as well, because of the glasses. But I said lUpin because the whole outfit is clearly modeled after his, and since it's all read and he has really tall yellow hair, I thought it looked a lot like Vash.

But yes, he gives me that Kamina feeling as well.
For that matter, Lynne looks quite a bit like Yoko, doesn't she? I guess somebody was a fan..

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #276 on: October 11, 2012, 09:39:02 pm »
For that matter, Lynne looks quite a bit like Yoko, doesn't she? I guess somebody was a fan..

You know she does a little, in the face and a little in the hair. Yeah, it could have been an amalgamation of inspiratino from a few places. But that's how most inspiration is used, you mix it with other stuff so you can never really copy one single thing. Cause if you do, then people just assume you ripped it off and you were creative on your own.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #277 on: November 04, 2012, 01:01:10 am »
So it looks like Jim Carrey's in another heist comedy, just not Lupin.  :'(

Edit: Jude Law's looking very Lupinesque;D

Edit 2: The Mindgame director also mentioned being a fan of Cagliostro on Reddit.

Edit 3: So after seeing Moonrise Kingdom, I'm gonna say that Wes Anderson has to be a fan of Cagliostro. Both movies have a rooftop chase, a male protagonist who climbs up into the female protagonist's window, a church wedding, a massive flood, and a scene at the end with a police car which leaves for its next job.

Edit 4: Also, I've brought this up before, but Leorio from Hunter X Hunter looks like Lupin w/ spiked hair.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 04:22:26 am by GATSU »

Mr. Foo

• Mr. Foo
  • Part of the Gang
  • Yes, that's my lung.
    • A.D. Living
« Reply #278 on: November 05, 2012, 03:00:07 am »
Just thought I'd mention Crayon Shin Chan, a long running Japanese TV show.

The Movie payed out Castle of Cagliostro's car-chase, super silly though  :P

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #279 on: November 10, 2012, 12:38:00 am »
So the groundskeeper from Cagliostro makes a cameo in Skyfall.  ::)

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #280 on: December 03, 2012, 01:21:19 pm »
Once again, the most recognizable image of Lupin is referenced in the anime movie, Red Line. (which of course was designed by the same guy who designed "A Woman Called Fujiko Mine.")

When the newscasters are going over all of the racers in the upcoming Red Line competition, they get to a couple of guys known as the Mad Brothers: Lynchman and Jonnyboya. After which we see a fake trailer for a Lynchman movie with the two running from a crazed, cybernetic army general. And we see that classic Lupin shot from the pilot of Lupin running along a brick wall with yellow spot lights on him.

This shot has been referenced in so many Lupin titles and so many other animes that it is as much a staple of anime history as the giant rock chasing Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark is to film history.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 01:22:58 pm by FilmmakerJ »

SlackerWriter

• Stoic and Esoteric
  • Part of the Gang
  • There was a fish... in the percolator
« Reply #281 on: December 03, 2012, 02:43:27 pm »

I actually thought of Frank Fly from EarthBound/Mother 2 when I saw this design

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #282 on: December 08, 2012, 01:19:50 am »
An Interpol inspector and a femme fatale in a muppets movie;D

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #283 on: December 09, 2012, 12:41:24 am »
I found something unique for this thread. An explicit homage. Not something that sorta looks like something used in Lupin once, but an actual reference that was even confirmed by the writer.

When watching a VHS of the 1987 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoons, I thought it was kinda funny how much April looked like Fujiko from Red Jacket. Turns out it wasn't a coincidence.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #284 on: December 09, 2012, 01:51:16 am »
I found something unique for this thread. An explicit homage. Not something that sorta looks like something used in Lupin once, but an actual reference that was even confirmed by the writer.

When watching a VHS of the 1987 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoons, I thought it was kinda funny how much April looked like Fujiko from Red Jacket. Turns out it wasn't a coincidence.

:o :o :o

So, April's outfit, for the entire duration of TMNT, is based on one outfit Fujiko wore that one time?

That... is... AWESOME!