Author Topic: Lupin References/homages  (Read 175345 times)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Re: Lupin References/homages
« Reply #285 on: December 09, 2012, 10:06:02 am »
Interesting. I always thought they just outsourced it, and some Japanese animator who worked on or saw Lupin thought she should look like that.

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #286 on: December 09, 2012, 01:31:04 pm »
:o :o :o

So, April's outfit, for the entire duration of TMNT, is based on one outfit Fujiko wore that one time?

That... is... AWESOME!
That's what it seems to say, but I had always thought it was based on what April wore in her first appearance in the original comics.
I think it's more likely her character design and reporter job were inspired by Fujiko, but the outfit comes from the Mirage books. I mean, it's been almost 25 years. He probably forgot about the comic influence when answering the question.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #287 on: December 09, 2012, 04:47:55 pm »
:o :o :o

So, April's outfit, for the entire duration of TMNT, is based on one outfit Fujiko wore that one time?

That... is... AWESOME!
That's what it seems to say, but I had always thought it was based on what April wore in her first appearance in the original comics.
I think it's more likely her character design and reporter job were inspired by Fujiko, but the outfit comes from the Mirage books. I mean, it's been almost 25 years. He probably forgot about the comic influence when answering the question.

I dunno, this looks pretty close to me, except of course for the color. It may be more derived from the pink outfit Fujiko wears just a few moments earlier, but I can't be certain.

I also don't recall, was he saying that he got the design from an episode of Lupin, or from this movie. Because back in the 80s, this movie is one of the only things we would have had in English. So he couldn't have got it from the Red Jacket series unless he had been to Japan and seen it somewhere. This is the first thing that I thought of when you mentioned this influence, however.

FlippytheMaster

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #288 on: December 09, 2012, 09:39:26 pm »
If we're talking about the minicam, wouldn't that be the Castle of Cagliostro, where she pretends to be a reporter? The jumpsuit is pretty much the same, just cameo, right?
I dunno, maybe I'm making the wrong connection here

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #289 on: December 09, 2012, 10:32:30 pm »
If we're talking about the minicam, wouldn't that be the Castle of Cagliostro, where she pretends to be a reporter? The jumpsuit is pretty much the same, just cameo, right?
I dunno, maybe I'm making the wrong connection here

Well I used both of these pictures because I'm making the connection between both the fact that the outfits are similar, and the fact that both women are holding mini-cams is also a strong connection. And yes, this is from Cagliostro.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #290 on: December 11, 2012, 09:46:50 pm »
K-Stew would make a pretty awful Fujiko::) Link via Rotten Tomatoes.

Edit: Also, Emma Frost's preliminary outfit from X-Men First Class seems a bit Fujiko-esque.

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #291 on: December 11, 2012, 11:48:09 pm »

Edit: Also, Emma Frost's preliminary outfit from X-Men First Class seems a bit Fujiko-esque.
I think it's more Emma Frost-esque.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #292 on: December 12, 2012, 12:38:46 am »

I think it's more Emma Frost-esque.

Yeah, you were referring to the wrong character, GATSU. Emma Frost is the one wearing the skimpy white outfit. The girl right above her, I believe is the one you were referring to as Fujiko-esque.

There is an URL right below her that says Emma Frost at the end, but it's not referring to that picture of the girl in all-black. That one says Rose at the end of it's URL.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 12:40:50 am by FilmmakerJ »

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #293 on: December 13, 2012, 12:11:50 am »
I'm referring to the mini-skirt look. That's definitely Fujiko-esque.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #294 on: December 13, 2012, 01:08:37 am »
I'm referring to the mini-skirt look. That's definitely Fujiko-esque.

Well you can still see our confusion, right? I mean, when-ever someone has said some character looks like Fujiko, it most often has been a character in a black jumpsuit of some kind. And we were just talking about Fujiko one-piece jumpsuits a few posts above this one.

It's true, Fujiko does wear mini-skirts, but that's something that a load of female characters wear; there are much less female characters who wear jumpsuits. Fujiko did wear that shortened business suit look in Dead or Alive and Crisis in Tokyo, but she never wore a battle bikini, and she never wore a cape or a one sided shoulder guard. She has, however, worn a black or darkened jumpsuit in at least 8 of the films and I'm sure a multitude of episodes from all four series.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #295 on: December 20, 2012, 12:42:51 am »
So this moe Sherlock Holmes game has a Lupin, Jr. as a character.

Edit: Already brought this up, but since a new trailer came in, Leo the Third;)

Mr. Foo

• Mr. Foo
  • Part of the Gang
  • Yes, that's my lung.
    • A.D. Living
« Reply #296 on: December 20, 2012, 08:22:44 am »
There is a scene in Sonic X (From TMS) where the Butler, Tanaka, dresses up like Goemon.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #297 on: January 05, 2013, 10:36:57 pm »
A master thief who assumes the identity of a local sheriff?

Edit: Oh, and slightly NSFW, but the Russky chick in the new Die Hard movie seems to have Fujiko's fashion sense;)

Edit 2: So I guess the Hellsing guy is a Lupin fan, 'cus his manga persona is dressed like the green jacket version for this in-jokey thing.

Edit 3: Mindgame guy said he's a fan of Cagliostro.

RobertTheGamer

• A Lupin fan from that land of Fosters and Bruces.
  • Part of the Gang
    • RobertTheGamer
« Reply #298 on: January 13, 2013, 06:11:12 am »

Has anyone seen this Lupin reference in the anime Thermae Romae? Basically in this scene from Episode 7, a sculpter from Ancient Rome is trying to scare thieves (Lupin and Jigen) away by making a statue with *cough* large male genitals. I had to censor it to make it "safe for work".

Ironically the Thermae Romae anime has been licensed in America by Discotek Media for release in 2013. But if you're like me and live in Australia or New Zealand, you can already buy Thermae Romae on DVD at your local supplier of anime, which is published by Siren Visual.

Check it out if you want an anime that is "unqiue" and Yen Press has also started publishing an English version of the manga in a beautiful large print, hardcover format.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 06:16:33 am by RobertTheGamer »
"A stranger, is just a friend you haven't exploited yet" - Bob Monkhouse

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #299 on: January 14, 2013, 02:15:46 am »
Filmmaker: I think the only time Fujiko wears an outfit similar to April is in the final ending sequence for the second series. [Superhero]
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 02:16:00 am by GATSU »