Author Topic: Lupin References/homages  (Read 175353 times)

FilmmakerJ

Re: Lupin References/homages
« Reply #300 on: January 14, 2013, 11:51:30 pm »
Filmmaker: I think the only time Fujiko wears an outfit similar to April is in the final ending sequence for the second series. [Superhero]

But she wears it in Cagliostro. And I'm fairly sure most people were only able to see Cagliostro or Mamo back in the 80s, right? Did the guy say he specifically saw it in an episode of the series? Because my comparison there is pretty definitive. Even if Fujiko did wear a jumpsuit in the series, she likely wasn't also carrying a small TV camera.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #301 on: January 31, 2013, 02:21:40 am »
I don't remember that color jumpsuit and camera being in the same scene. But it's been a while since I saw that Superhero clip.

Edit: This Korean heist movie even uses Lupin-esque music.

Edit 2: I told you the old dude in Skyfall looks like the groundskeeper in Cagliostro.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #302 on: February 10, 2013, 03:24:59 am »
Out of all the animation companies and styles of animation directors, I would have to say my favorite production house and style ever is TMS and nearly all of their overseas work for things like Animaniacs, Peter Pan and the Pirates, Galaxy Highschool, The Littles, American Tail 3, and Little Nemo.

I consider their animation quality to be extremely skilled and almost too well-crafted for some of the stuff they ended up contributing to. Their animation is so good, in fact, that I would say it rivals much of Disney's own work, which is why their style worked well along side Disney's when they animated the entire first season of Chip 'n' Dale: Rescue Rangers. And I believe many other concepts and adaptations could benefit from their unique approach and style if only they still kept up with it today.

Here's one Deviant's idea of what Ironman would look like if done by TMS.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 03:34:50 am by FilmmakerJ »

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #303 on: February 11, 2013, 01:38:55 am »
FMJ:l Well, I said that in Iron Man 2, Tony's racecar looks exactly like the one from the '71 show.  ;)

Edit: Oh, and Michiko and Hatchin 15 has a clock tower with gears like those in Cagliostro.  8)

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #304 on: February 11, 2013, 11:36:16 am »
FMJ:l Well, I said that in Iron Man 2, Tony's racecar looks exactly like the one from the '71 show.  ;)

Edit: Oh, and Michiko and Hatchin 15 has a clock tower with gears like those in Cagliostro.  8)

Every cool anime in existence is required to make at least 1 Castle of Cagliostro reference by the the end of their run. Such is anime law! lol

(List of all animes that have made known references:
Genshiken, Sgt. Frog, Re: Cutey Honey, FLCL, Panty and Stocking, Otaku No Video (GAINAX really loves Cagliostro), Shin Chan, Macross, Hayate the Combat Butler, Here is Greenwood, Ponyo (yes Ponyo), etc.)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 11:41:49 am by FilmmakerJ »

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #305 on: February 14, 2013, 07:00:05 pm »
Apparently, Raiden from Metal Gear Revengeance has an attack called the Zan-Datsu.

Edit: Oh, and some of the stunts in Fast 6 remind me of those in Lupin.

Robotech_Master

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #306 on: March 09, 2013, 04:28:32 am »
As I mentioned over in this thread, the Giant Robo "Ginrei" special has several prominent references to Lupin III in it. A couple of the screenshots from there (depicting Ginrei doing the run-past-spotlights thing and taking off a wetsuit to reveal a disguise just as in Cagliostro) are missing, but the others are still there in the thread. Not surprising given that Ginrei's voice actress is none other than Clarice herself, Sumi Shimamoto.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #307 on: May 08, 2013, 01:47:53 am »
I think TMS was involved in Giant Robo overall, so it makes sense.

Edit: So the "hero" of the new Pixar Planes movie happens to be a Cessna;)

Edit 2: I guess the Outlaw Star director's a Lupin fan, 'cus he linked some related booklet I'm trying to get info on. [Update: Ulrika said it's a memoir by Otsuka.] https://twitter.com/megatenhongo/status/321813544049971200 Thanks, @Maocloud.

Edit 3: Jesse Eisenberg gets Lupinesque in this new trailer for Now You See Me.

Edit 4: Second-generation thief?

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #308 on: July 17, 2013, 02:00:25 am »
I don't know if this is the right place to post this because it's not something making an homage to Lupin but the other way around, in Dead or Alive at around 46:07 on the far left screen they have an image of Cobra from Space Adventure Cobra, and a couple seconds before that they had another character, but I wasn't sure who it was, it may have been a character from Space Battleship Yamato.

Oops. Here's the other one:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 02:38:22 pm by SolHerald »

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #309 on: July 17, 2013, 06:15:42 am »
We wouldn't know, unless you post the other one.  ;)

veggie 11

• Part of the Gang
    • My blogs
« Reply #310 on: July 18, 2013, 09:41:55 am »
Oops. Here's the other one:

That's Joe Shimamura from 'Cyborg 009'.  :)
But why Miyazaki was so obsessed to draw this horrible fringle to Jigen in EVERY Lupin anime he did?
-----------------------------------------
I decided to strike for the recognition of Jigen, Goemon and Fujiko's sacrifice in The Castle of Cagliostro

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #311 on: July 19, 2013, 01:03:33 am »
Oh! Thanks!   ;D

victorystar

• Part of the Gang
  • I happen to be very knowledgeable at this!
« Reply #312 on: July 31, 2013, 04:14:26 pm »
Probably not done of purpose but I chucked when I was watching One Piece and Ussop (Voiced by Sonny Strait) said "I'm a killer not a thief" in the dub considering he's also voiced Lupin in the past. And especially because Ussop is a compulsive liar (for example he's never killed anyone) so I imagined the line from Red Jacket 145 backwards when he said that ("I'm a liar not a thief" instead of "I'm a thief not a liar".) And it made me chuckle again when I did that.

Just wanted to share that.

Jo

• Part of the Gang
  • natto mmm.
    • I am a vegan. Except on half price wing night.
« Reply #313 on: July 31, 2013, 09:11:42 pm »
A variety show Arashi ni Shiyagare has been using the classic Lupin intro theme/gunshot letter bullet opening for each episode. It's a bit of a play on how the Lupin men have the men's lifestyle down pat. The show centers around an "aniki" that teaches the hosts (JE boyband Arashi) how to do something (i.e. dating, mountain climbing, fitness etc.) .

Lupin III Manga Database[Scanlations and such are here]

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #314 on: August 11, 2013, 07:22:53 am »
Wasn't there a boat flip in the green jacket show, too?

Edit: I guess the Lone Wolf and Cub guy is a fan of Lupin, too, as he tweeted about one of Yuji Ono's performances.