Author Topic: Lupin References/homages  (Read 131102 times)

mc_carter

• [Member]
Lupin References/homages
« on: July 18, 2008, 01:43:12 AM »
I recently watched the third episode of Here Is Greenwood it featured not only the castle from Cagliostro but a play put on by the students of the clock tower scene. I took some screen caps.
(click to show/hide)

Which got me thinking what are some other anime/cartoons that feature Lupin references I know there was a thread about Samurai Jack and one about Robotech/Macross. But I thought it might be good to centralize it and if one already exists, sorry.

MGFanJay

• Part of the Gang
  • Oh yeah...
    • Hardocre Gamer Magzine - free download
Re: Lupin References/homages
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 03:17:00 AM »
Wow, I've never seen that reference before. The only one I can think of now is the Simpsons Movie having a scene early on where Homer's staging on the roof is based on that of Lupin's in CoC's when he's leaping from rooftop to rooftop.

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 03:31:13 AM »
Fooly Cooly episode 5.  Kamon dresses as Lupin and rambles about jacket color, then spoofs the 2nd series opening.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

SlackerWriter

• Stoic and Esoteric
  • Part of the Gang
  • There was a fish... in the percolator
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 10:29:51 AM »
Wow, I've never seen that reference before. The only one I can think of now is the Simpsons Movie having a scene early on where Homer's staging on the roof is based on that of Lupin's in CoC's when he's leaping from rooftop to rooftop.

Speaking of the simpsons, in a season eight episode, Bart After Dark, the one where Bart has to work at a burlesque house. There is a scene where Bart is falling down a roof that looks a bit like in CoC that even the people in the audio commentary even mention about.

Zoo Station

• [Member]
    • The Fedora Chronicles
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 01:01:23 AM »
The fight in the clock-tower at the end of The Great Mouse Detective looks quite a bit like Cagliostro's clock battle.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 05:13:32 AM »
The latest Hellboy had him fighting in a clock-tower.

MGFanJay

• Part of the Gang
  • Oh yeah...
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 06:48:32 AM »
There's also a clock tower battle in Batman: the Animated Series between Batman and the Clock King that was clearly inspired by the one in CoC.

hentaifreak

• [Member]
  • One of my secret underground hideouts.
    • Master Thief Club
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 02:26:43 PM »
Oh my gosh... where to start with these.... hmm. I guess I'll just mention the great mouse detective...

http://progressiveboink.com/archive/cagliostro.htm
Groovy!

Ishikawa Goemon

• Part of the Gang
  • Derpin' along.
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 04:32:09 PM »
Wikipedia mentions a reference to Jigen in an episode of Animaniacs... but I wouldn't know personally, as I couldn't stand that show as a kid. *Wonders if opinion would change now, many years later*
Lupin will look up and shout, "Save us, plot-device!", and I'll look down and whisper, "No".

MGFanJay

• Part of the Gang
  • Oh yeah...
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 02:04:18 AM »
An homage to Jigen is in fact in Animaniacs. Here's a shot of it.

Ishikawa Goemon

• Part of the Gang
  • Derpin' along.
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 11:41:20 PM »
Lol. Thanks, MGFanJay; that's too awesome. And unexpected. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cjU4u41F9Q&feature=related

Jigen has a cameo in this Ganbare Goemon promotional video. Ah, Konami. The CastleVania reference thrown in is also amusing.
Lupin will look up and shout, "Save us, plot-device!", and I'll look down and whisper, "No".

Jing Wu

• [Member]
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 12:31:43 AM »
There's a reference to Lupin's granddad(referred to as "Kaitoo Lupin", meaning Lupin the Phantom Thief a.k.a. the original Arsene Lupin) in episode 2 of Fist of the North Star, "The Deadly Fist of Lingering Regret! The Future is Sighted in the Barren Desert":

Screenshot is from the awful-looking Manga Entertainment DVD.

I couldn't help but find it kind of bizarre when I heard it, but oh well; that's Toei filler dialogue for ya.

mc_carter

• [Member]
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 01:15:29 AM »
I was Just watching GTO, episode 17, and to save a student Onizuka does the classic wall run dive from cagliostro.

hentaifreak

• [Member]
  • One of my secret underground hideouts.
    • Master Thief Club
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 11:43:26 AM »
An homage to Jigen is in fact in Animaniacs. Here's a shot of it.

I was just thinking about this exact post while watching one of the specials. Jigen is on an old wooden cart like this...I can't remember which one it is now...I wanna say Napoleon's dictionary....
Groovy!

angelidollinda

• Part of the Gang
  • I believe in the power of the thief!
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 03:18:20 PM »
I think during the scene in Otaku no Video where the Gun Otaku is explaining the different ranges of weaponry, it shows the cast dressed as Lupin and company for a split second. I don't have a screen of it, but I remember it.
Les temps sont durs pour les r