Author Topic: Lupin References/homages  (Read 170642 times)

Sad cactus

Re: Lupin References/homages
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2009, 12:28:38 am »
He does not have the hair of beard, but he has a bit of the same face shape and body type (he also dresses like a cowboy instead of a mafia boss).

Hey, you're right, he's very narrow and slim. He has the whole western motif.

bunnialchemistmeep

• [Member]
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2009, 01:16:40 pm »
I don't know if anyone said this before me, but Disney's "The Great Mouse Detective" had VERY heavy cagliostro influences, especially the Clocktower scene at the end. I actually had a dream last night that that's how the Cagliostro fight scene played out. it was EPIC, and I don't toss that word around loosely.

Has anyone ever seen "El Dorado?" I heard somewhere that Miguel and Tulio were based off of Lupin and Jigen. Tulio looks JUST like jigen minus the hat, and Miguel wears red...plus their personalities fit Them to a T!

Sad cactus

Re: Lupin References/homages: The Great Mouse Detective
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2009, 07:42:16 pm »
I don't know if anyone said this before me, but Disney's "The Great Mouse Detective" had VERY heavy cagliostro influences, especially the Clocktower scene at the end. I actually had a dream last night that that's how the Cagliostro fight scene played out. it was EPIC, and I don't toss that word around loosely.

Has anyone ever seen "El Dorado?" I heard somewhere that Miguel and Tulio were based off of Lupin and Jigen. Tulio looks JUST like jigen minus the hat, and Miguel wears red...plus their personalities fit Them to a T!

::Grumble.:: I hunted for BOTH those films at my local store. No dice. ;_; I guess YouTube will have to do for now. Yep, you're the first one to say it, I think. ^^ Ooh..would you be able to share that dream with us in word, picture, some kind of visual form? : ) With the way Basil's eyes looks, I wouldn't be surprised if there were 2nd series influences, too. Basil's eyes are unusually smug/cruel/scheming, like Lupin's are.

I personally think that Lupin is a blonde at heart. XD Er, wait, Miguel's blonde, right? ^^:

Okay, I finished watching The Great Mouse Detective and I'm astounded that that didn't get a PG rating. Family film my eye. oO;; That said, the Lupin references abound.

Fujiko-esque dancer/singer at the bar. (Yes, folks, in a Disney movie.)
The hot-air balloon chase: improvised balloon using the Union Jack and regular balloons as the propulsion. It's a Lupin-esque way of chasing the bad guy.
The clock tower fight: what happened to the random henchman almost happened to Olivia. She almost gets crushed by the gears, and in Cagliostro, the henchman is crushed by the gears.
The fact that Basil is upset by his near-failure to stop Ratigan's plot not because of the security of the realm of the Queen's person, but because Ratigan has outsmarted him. In other words, it's his ego. Sound like a certain thief? : )
Another similarity to Lupin: occasional moments of goofiness. Getting hit by random objects, getting shown up by a little girl, etc.
The style of the fight--its progression from the gears to outside of the tower on the clock face. The main difference is that the clock striking 12 crushes Cagliostro: in The Great Mouse Detective it causes Ratigan to fall off.
Basil can disguise himself well: both voice as well as clothes.

There was a lot of death in that movie. OO The henchman eaten by Felicia the cat, Ratigan's lackey--wow, Disney movies were pretty edgy in the 80s, huh? ^^;;

« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 11:37:21 pm by Sad cactus »

blackcoated

• [Member]
  • the world is mine
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2009, 12:22:47 am »
hmm does the black panther episode referes to the pink panther? :P ???

http://www.myspace.com/weberwound
my 1st uploaded and made by me video on youtube maybe ill do areview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVIu3Jssf7A&feature=channel_page

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2009, 01:37:56 am »
hmm does the black panther episode referes to the pink panther? :P ???
Yes it does.  Conaiseau and Hageito are obvious parodies of Clouseau and Cato.
The scene at the nudist colony is probably spoofing Clouseau's infamous adventure through one in A Shot in the Dark, the second (and best) film in the series.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

Alc

• [Member]
  • Oh yeah, have another cigarrette Mr. Fitness!
Re: Lupin References/homages: The Great Mouse Detective
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2009, 09:49:18 pm »
Okay, I finished watching The Great Mouse Detective and I'm astounded that that didn't get a PG rating. Family film my eye. oO;; That said, the Lupin references abound.

Fujiko-esque dancer/singer at the bar. (Yes, folks, in a Disney movie.)
The hot-air balloon chase: improvised balloon using the Union Jack and regular balloons as the propulsion. It's a Lupin-esque way of chasing the bad guy.
The clock tower fight: what happened to the random henchman almost happened to Olivia. She almost gets crushed by the gears, and in Cagliostro, the henchman is crushed by the gears.
The fact that Basil is upset by his near-failure to stop Ratigan's plot not because of the security of the realm of the Queen's person, but because Ratigan has outsmarted him. In other words, it's his ego. Sound like a certain thief? : )
Another similarity to Lupin: occasional moments of goofiness. Getting hit by random objects, getting shown up by a little girl, etc.
The style of the fight--its progression from the gears to outside of the tower on the clock face. The main difference is that the clock striking 12 crushes Cagliostro: in The Great Mouse Detective it causes Ratigan to fall off.
Basil can disguise himself well: both voice as well as clothes.

There was a lot of death in that movie. OO The henchman eaten by Felicia the cat, Ratigan's lackey--wow, Disney movies were pretty edgy in the 80s, huh? ^^;;

Man, I haven't watched either the Great Mouse Detective or El Dorado in forever.  I do remember that The Great Moust Detective does have several Lupin references...I wonder if they were inspired by it like Pixar is by Miyazaki films?

Sad cactus

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2009, 07:26:19 pm »
Man, I haven't watched either the Great Mouse Detective or El Dorado in forever.  I do remember that The Great Moust Detective does have several Lupin references...I wonder if they were inspired by it like Pixar is by Miyazaki films?

I would really be surprised if the Great Mouse Detective wasn't inspired by Lupin--and not just Miyazaki, but one of the series. I bought it on DVD---but not El Dorado..X___X It's not anywhere! >< So I'll post a video comparison on YouTube sometime. XD

Ersatz

• [Member]
  • *mwah*
    • Taffy Typings
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2009, 08:02:29 pm »
All I can think of is the cog-laden fight from the Teen Titans episode 'Apprentice' (series 1).

Link here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2YYiCr-Vow (it really gets going from around 2:28 onward).

Quilly

• [Member]
    • myspace
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2009, 09:58:27 pm »

I would really be surprised if the Great Mouse Detective wasn't inspired by Lupin--and not just Miyazaki, but one of the series. I bought it on DVD---but not El Dorado..X___X It's not anywhere! >< So I'll post a video comparison on YouTube sometime. XD
Someone did a parody video using the El Dorado preview audio to Lupin the Third clips on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUoGclkrjgM
fits quite well ^_^

Alc

• [Member]
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2009, 02:10:26 pm »

Do you happen to have a store called Hastings anywhere near you?  They can order games, DVDs, books, CDs, etc for you and they get delivered to the store for you to buy.  You could try that maybe.

Sad cactus

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2009, 10:10:05 pm »
Do you happen to have a store called Hastings anywhere near you?  They can order games, DVDs, books, CDs, etc for you and they get delivered to the store for you to buy.  You could try that maybe.

Nope, oO I might have to order El Dorado online. : (

blackcoated

• [Member]
  • the world is mine
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2009, 12:08:27 am »

Nope, oO I might have to order El Dorado online. : (
heres some links if u just want to see it
http://www.watch-movies-links.net/movies/the_road_to_el_dorado/

http://www.myspace.com/weberwound
my 1st uploaded and made by me video on youtube maybe ill do areview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVIu3Jssf7A&feature=channel_page

Sad cactus

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2009, 11:18:35 pm »
I just watched Road to El Dorado. The Lupin influence really shines through. No, that's an understatement. It BLEEDS Lupin, and I'll post a comparison at some point. ^^

Alc

• [Member]
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2009, 03:43:18 pm »
I just watched Road to El Dorado. The Lupin influence really shines through. No, that's an understatement. It BLEEDS Lupin, and I'll post a comparison at some point. ^^

Sweet, I'll be looking forward to it!  I've only watched RtED one time and I don't really remember ANYTHING about it other than the natives and the two guys at one point playing basketball (or the game that is supposedly the origins of basketball where you hit a ball with your hips through a hoop mounted on a wall).

angelidollinda

• Part of the Gang
  • I believe in the power of the thief!
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2009, 01:28:30 am »
Remember when I mentioned Lupin being in Otaku no Video? I found the clip! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUjkui9IwnY

The cosplay bit is at 3:30ish, but I noticed around 1:30 that in their dorm room there's a Secret of Mamo poster!
Les temps sont durs pour les r