Author Topic: Lupin the Cosplay!  (Read 97780 times)

Sad cactus

Re: Lupin-themed cosplay
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2009, 05:37:57 pm »
Ring from clay? That's really innovative! Looking forward to the pictures.. ^^

angelidollinda

• Part of the Gang
  • I believe in the power of the thief!
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2009, 06:06:56 pm »
angelidollinda > I am very interested to see your ring. I tried to sculpt Yasuo's ring but the result has not been very great (probably because I was doing something else at the same time ::))

I wanted to sculpt the ram crest on the surface of mine, but I couldn't make it small enough so I decided to paint the ram on there instead. Right now I'm waiting for the glue to set and dry (I baked the emblem and the band separately).
Les temps sont durs pour les r

Ishikawa Goemon

• Part of the Gang
  • Derpin' along.
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2009, 01:27:06 am »
Here's a photograph I have so far from last weekend's visit to a convention; I wasn't sure if my friend would be comfortable having a photograph of her on a forum she doesn't frequent, so I played it safe (and took a goofy route). I didn't want to cut her out of the picture, because it wouldn't look right.

If I attend another event this year, I am thinking of going as Little Mac, aside from Goemon (again). I wasn't keen on having a photograph taken here (apart from the fact that I'm far from photogenic :/) since I didn't have the time to switch back to my proper thonged sandals. Those things are far more accurate, but walking with them always results in straining tendons in my legs.
Lupin will look up and shout, "Save us, plot-device!", and I'll look down and whisper, "No".

Sad cactus

« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2009, 09:48:14 am »
Those things are far more accurate, but walking with them always results in straining tendons in my legs.

No one faults you for switching footwear. I swear, sandals, flip-flops and high-heels are disasters waiting to happen. oO One time I attempted to walk up a very gentle incline with flip-flops and kept on falling down, twisting my ankle, and feeling general PAIN. X_X

Awesome cosplay. You cut a very dignified figure, and it's obvious that you put a lot of effort into your cosplay. Hooray for Goemon love. Thanks for sharing! ^^

Ishikawa Goemon

• Part of the Gang
  • Derpin' along.
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2009, 10:43:01 am »
No one faults you for switching footwear. I swear, sandals, flip-flops and high-heels are disasters waiting to happen. oO One time I attempted to walk up a very gentle incline with flip-flops and kept on falling down, twisting my ankle, and feeling general PAIN. X_X
Argh, that really sounds awful. :/ Even in these more comfortable sandals, my feet ached badly and felt raw at the end of three days - so I can't imagine how it would be in those flat, thonged things. Flip-flops usually are not great for moving about anywhere other than the house, heh.

Awesome cosplay. You cut a very dignified figure, and it's obvious that you put a lot of effort into your cosplay. Hooray for Goemon love. Thanks for sharing! ^^
I was a little nervous about sharing, but thanks.
Lupin will look up and shout, "Save us, plot-device!", and I'll look down and whisper, "No".

Geist_MD

• Boogie Woogie Loog Shugie!
  • [Member]
  • The Coiled Shuffler
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2009, 11:15:47 am »
Swell costume, IG! That's just some jazz all over the place, maam. Did you make it yourself, and if so, how difficult was it? I've got a close seamstress friend who I tried conning into that one time for a vaguely related reason but they couldn't be bothered.

Oh, quick question. Was the sword a problem at all, getting it into the convention? I hear all kinds of horror stories about overzealous security not even letting capguns in, so I 'unno.
1-888-SPY-HARD

Ishikawa Goemon

• Part of the Gang
  • Derpin' along.
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2009, 11:45:46 am »
Swell costume, IG! That's just some jazz all over the place, maam. Did you make it yourself, and if so, how difficult was it? I've got a close seamstress friend who I tried conning into that one time for a vaguely related reason but they couldn't be bothered.
I can't take any credit whatsoever; I'm just a clotheshanger. My best friend, who is incidentally standing next to me in this photograph, made the keikogi for me, and I bought the hakama for around $50; they weren't sold in indigo, so I settled for a brown one. I think my friend was following instructions for the keikogi she found either on Cosplay.com, or just by Googling. Another Goemon cosplayer I know of said she made the top by modifying some sort of men's shower robe from Sears... :P There's always that possibility - work off of something pre-existing. Myself, I can't sew to save my life. Thanks, though. :)

Oh, quick question. Was the sword a problem at all, getting it into the convention? I hear all kinds of horror stories about overzealous security not even letting capguns in, so I 'unno.
You know, I guess it really varies from convention to convention - but at mine up North, I didn't have any issues. I just have to keep Zantetsuken sheathed unless one of those rare occasions come along where a photograph is taken, or if I'm in any wide-open space. I think all conventions have a weapons-check area where your item is tagged if it is approved by staff, and your information is taken down. I still have my tag from two years ago, so I was able to cheat and bypass waiting in a long line this year. :P In any case, it never hurts to e-mail staff and ask them if what you mean to take with you is alright.

PsychoShinji

• [Member]
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2009, 04:38:26 pm »
Hey all, I'm new to the forums! After lurking a bit, I'm going to finally post something! I love seeing the Lupin cosplays, guys. It's really cool to see fellow fans showing their love for the show and characters. :)

I've cosplayed as Jigen (White tie and Black tie versions), Goemon (White Hakama version so far), and Fujiko.

Closeup shot of my Jigen costume... I'm actually smokin' a Pall Mall in this pic, hence I couldn't bend it up much, hehe. It wouldn't re-light very easily if I did that. But I often try to smoke down to about half the cig, put it out and bend it a bit, and then use that as a prop to hold in my mouth. Sometimes it gets me dirty looks from the con staff (understandably) since it looks at first glance like I'm smoking indoors. Luckily this bar from Katsucon allowed smoking. (Don't worry, I don't actually smoke normally; I'm a very occasional smoker and keep it to cons for Jigen and social occasions for the most part.)

My Lupin and I with our puppets (thank you, ebay!)
I made the Jacket, tie, beard and fedora band from scratch. I wanted to make the jacket from scratch in order to get the cartoony, ultra-sharp look of Jigen's clothing. The fedora was originally just a narrow brim piece, and I ended up building the rest of the brim (to get it to 2.75") with foam, fixing it to the original brim, and then covering the whole thing with fabric. I was trying to go again for the cartoony look of Jigen's hat.

An older shot of my Goemon costume (from Otakon), and a pretty awful pic of me hehehe. I have a 2nd TV series version (darker blue hakama, lighter blue top without the black collar) which I plan on wearing to this year's Otakon. I made this costume from scratch, including Zantetsuken (carved out of balsa wood, painted with reflective paint). Zantetsuken was made out of balsa wood so that I wouldn't have to worry too much about con rules. The Hakama was based on a pattern I found online; I believe it was Sarcasm Hime's draft. The top was just made out of guess work; I am actually EXTREMELY horrible at reading patterns, so most of my costumes are made out of breaking the item into shapes and drafting a pattern from there. Sometimes, as in the case of my Jigen jacket, I'll use an old piece of clothing to base my fabric shapes on. This is, simultaneously, an extremely comfortable costume and yet an extremely PAINFUL one. Because of the binding! It's an open-shirt binding method, and as you can imagine it's not too pleasant to remove the medical tape at the end of the day. If you go too fast, you can take off skin. I've actually got a few scars around on my back and chest from it. I'm working on new methods of binding and I plan on using adhesive remover to soften the medical tape before I remove it in the future. :)

Here's a fun shot we got with a Zenigata, Jigen and Goemon! They were really nice, though I do not know their names, actually. Hehe. It was very weird for me to go around as Fujiko because I'd keep wanting to be Jigen or Goemon. I do enjoy cosplaying as Fujiko, though I much prefer going around as the boys. ^_^

Sorry about the long post. Please let me know if you need me to remove any pics or modify the post for length! Thanks!

Ishikawa Goemon

• Part of the Gang
  • Derpin' along.
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2009, 05:15:09 pm »
@ PsychoShinji - I've seen you around LJ, from Angelidollinda's friend's list; welcome to the forum! I think your cosplays are pretty fantastic, particularly your ability to pull off different characters successfully. Great binding with Goemon, by the way... and I couldn't help but notice that your Zantetsuken prop resembles mine very much, right down to the paint job. :) Nice work. (I envy your Lupin-friend, and the fact that you could find yourself in a group photograph; very few people are familiar with the series at the convention I attend.)

On the subject of cosplay, my friend brought her camera over and we were finally able to upload some photographs a day or two ago from the convention. Unfortunately, of around a dozen of me, maybe only one is decent. I'm not kidding when I say that I'm not in the least bit photogenic. This one, at least, is alright.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 08:08:07 pm by Ishikawa Goemon »

Sad cactus

« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2009, 07:59:34 pm »
Oh, wow, so many awesome cosplays! ^^

Psychoshinji: Welcome to the boards! ^^

oO I don't intend to be creepy, but were you at the Lupin/Bo-bo-bo outtakes at Otakon '08? oO  Your green jacket  Jigen and the Lupin with you look awfully familiar. ^^ I was the trenchcoat-less, sideburn-less Mamo Zenigata going bonkers in the registration line at you and Lupin and if you hadn't told me that there would be the outtakes, I would never have known about them. oO They were very enjoyable, by the way. ^^

Wow, you smoked a real cigarette? That's unreal, *_* I applaud your dedication and tolerance of the smoke. XD

You made the jacket from scratch? That's impressive, you must be an expert at sewing! ^^ Great Fujiko, she is so unloved at cons. : (

XD Yay, I love the pic that you got with the Zenigata, Jigen, and Goemon.X D

Goemon: I love the lighting in that picture, you look so dignified and Goemon-y. oO I mean, that's the point, obviously, but with the lighting you look more semi-celestial. : ) How did you get the pants to move?

PsychoShinji

• [Member]
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2009, 08:43:08 pm »
IshikawaGoemon: Aw, thanks! :) I love your Goemon cosplay, and I think the pictures came out really nice. The hair styling is a really great touch! I'm hoping to get a new wig for Goemon soon, hehe.

Sad Cactus: Thanks so much for the kind words! :) And OMG, that is so awesome. I totally do remember you! I loved your Zenigata cosplay, and the Lupin doll you had was adorable too. :) I'm glad you could make it to the Outtakes Panel as well! I think that was a blast! You know, after the con I actually realized we'd never gotten pictures with you! If we see you again this year, I'd love to get some pics together. :) Wow, I'm glad this forum brought us together, hehe.

I have to admit to enjoying smoking... it is a guilty (albeit rare) pleasure o' mine. But I doubt I'd enjoy it if I did it as much as Jigen does, lol! Chain-smoking, eating mostly red meat, hard liquor? That man's insides must be a wreck. Poor Jigen. X3

Geist_MD

• Boogie Woogie Loog Shugie!
  • [Member]
  • The Coiled Shuffler
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2009, 09:47:57 pm »
I have to admit to enjoying smoking... it is a guilty (albeit rare) pleasure o' mine. But I doubt I'd enjoy it if I did it as much as Jigen does, lol! Chain-smoking, eating mostly red meat, hard liquor? That man's insides must be a wreck. Poor Jigen. X3
I'll have you know that red meat, hooch, and smokes are how we here at LtT.net get things done. And by we I mean me. And by things I mean nothing.  :P

Welcome to the forums, newperson, you. Glad to see another new face, especially since it seems like we've an awful lot of lurkers who don't join.

Anyway, kudos on those swooky cosplay pics, with Goemon being my favourite above and beyond the others, with Jigen taking second because of {Makeup? Lighting?} the cheekbone thing. It's a nice touch that sells it.

On the subject of cosplay, my friend brought her camera over and we were finally able to upload some photographs a day or two ago from the convention. Unfortunately, of around a dozen of me, maybe only one is decent. I'm not kidding when I say that I'm not in the least bit photogenic. This one, at least, is alright.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x52/Ishiface/me.png?t=1244409134
Wow, that's a very Goemon-esque pose. It's a shame it doesn't have that lighting with a background of a forest or something {No photoshop!}. Speaking of the lighting, and don't take offense, I was reminded of 360 and PS3 games with the amount of bloom there is.  :D Still pretty great. Where do you live, anyway? I suspect Canada!
1-888-SPY-HARD

Ishikawa Goemon

• Part of the Gang
  • Derpin' along.
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2009, 10:38:02 pm »
How did you get the pants to move?
I was standing beside a large fan... ::) No, but seriously, it was windy out.

Wow, that's a very Goemon-esque pose. It's a shame it doesn't have that lighting with a background of a forest or something {No photoshop!}. Speaking of the lighting, and don't take offense, I was reminded of 360 and PS3 games with the amount of bloom there is. Still pretty great.

Thank you. :P No offense taken whatsoever, by the way; I experimented with Diffuse Glow just for kicks, after all, and thought it worked with the pose in the end. (I meant to add Jigen and Loops from screencaptures too, but my Photoshopping skills are lacking.) The regular photo is no different except that the sun gives off a much more natural light. I wish I hadn't pinned my convention badge right in plain sight, but all well!

Where do you live, anyway? I suspect Canada!
Damn you, Tim Hortons! D8

Sad cactus

« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2009, 07:58:04 am »
 And OMG, that is so awesome. I totally do remember you! I loved your Zenigata cosplay, and the Lupin doll you had was adorable too.  I'm glad you could make it to the Outtakes Panel as well! I think that was a blast! You know, after the con I actually realized we'd never gotten pictures with you! If we see you again this year, I'd love to get some pics together.  Wow, I'm glad this forum brought us together, hehe.

Oh, yeah, that's right, I had a Lupin doll with me, I forgot. oO;; Yeah, that was an awesome panel. ^^ Right, I forgot that I have a picture of you, but you don't have a picture. oO Oops. ^^; If all goes well, I'll be there again this year as hopelessly-in-love-Jigen from "Rose And the Pistol/Shot Through the Heart", wearing a rose. XD I'm glad that you're on this forum,  too! ^^ I hope you have fun!

Good point about Jigen's bad health habits. It's a wonder he can still run so fast. Then again, some people can smoke like a chimney, can stand large amounts of alcohol, and/or can eat whatever they want  and nothing happens. Maybe Jigen's that type of guy.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 08:13:56 am by Sad cactus »

Jo

• Part of the Gang
  • natto mmm.
    • I am a vegan. Except on half price wing night.
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2009, 03:25:29 pm »
Where do you live, anyway? I suspect Canada!
Damn you, Tim Hortons! D8
..... BLASPHEMY!

Now if you'll excuse me I'll be finishing my Iced Capp.

Lupin III Manga Database[Scanlations and such are here]