Author Topic: Discotek licenses Green vs. Red  (Read 19298 times)

sprak

• Cliff Hanger
    • Lupin III Encyclopedia
Re: Discotek licenses Green vs. Red
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2013, 10:28:24 pm »
Just got my DVD. Other than the top label glue being among the stickiest ever, I don't mind the packaging much. I did notice a typo in the liner notes though - broach is spelled "brooch". There's a very nice little tribute to Goro Naya in the liner notes.

*ahem* Alternate spelling: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/brooch?r=75 not a typo.

MGFanJay

• Part of the Gang
  • Oh yeah...
    • Hardocre Gamer Magzine - free download
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2013, 04:50:09 am »
You really do learn something new every day.

FlippytheMaster

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2013, 09:19:27 pm »
Just got my DVD. Other than the top label glue being among the stickiest ever, I don't mind the packaging much. I did notice a typo in the liner notes though - broach is spelled "brooch". There's a very nice little tribute to Goro Naya in the liner notes.
I've noticed the sticky label as well on a few of their releases. I managed to scrape it off of my Green vs. Red, but it certainly makes my Space Adventure Cobra DVD stick to the DVDs next to it on my shelf--it can make it awkward when I'm pulling it off of the shelf

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2013, 12:08:21 am »
This is an early response to Lupin the 3rd
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 11:10:32 pm by FilmmakerJ »

mikezilla2

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2013, 01:04:57 pm »
FJ?

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2013, 11:40:57 pm »
FJ?

Sorry, for some reason (I don't have a clue) my whole post, save for that one line, just disappeared. So here's what it should have said...

"This is an early response to Lupin the 3rd "Green VS Red" (SPOILER ALERT)

First off, for those of you who thought that the casing for this release was a bit on the cheap side (and that all of Discotek's released are in cheap cases), I can tell you from experience with buying hundreds of DVDs and Blu-rays that these are pretty decent and sturdy cases. They have a bit more give than high-end commercial releases, but I keep around a box of surplus empty cases for whenever one of my USED purchases from Amazon shows up damaged, and this Discotek case is about 50% better than those. So it's probably not as bad as ya'll claim it is.

As for the movie itself, I have only seen about 10 minutes or so thus far, because I just got it in and I wanted to take a little peak at it until I have more time. So from what I've seen so far, I'm really quite enjoying this.

Like, I find it hilarious that they actually have real product placement in an anime movie, which I don't think I've ever seen before. But Jigen's scarfing down real McDonalds food there at one point. And then I thought it was cool some guy passed by the screen with Lupin's calling-card symbol on his T-shirt. But my favorite thing ever (from this first 10 minutes) is when every Lupin the 3rd look-alike in the world all converge together to confront this one Lupin the 3rd dude who decided to go the petty route and shoplift; and every single Lupin either flies into the city or takes a boat, and they all bring their Canary Yellow or Powder Blue Fiat 500s. That was just sooooo freakin' nuts. LOL They must have emptied the entire Italian market of 1960 Fiat models.

I also thought it was pretty cool to have so many song cues of the better Yuji Ohno favorite tracks from the franchise. They had the original 1978 theme, the 1989 theme (one of my favorites) and they played "Fire Treasure" at least twice. That one guy in the beginning even has the Cagliostro soundtrack on his damn I-pod. I told you guys that the Japanese had to have access to Yuji Ohno's stuff on I-tunes or something. It's just a shame we can't get all that here except for a few random things. Like I can actually get both "Panty and Stocking" soundtracks on I-tunes, which was totally awesome. But that's about all I've seen of popular or recent anime series.

I do find it a bit limiting that so far, most of the references they've made to other parts of the franchise have been "Cagliostro" centric; despite the fact that I am a Cagliostro-phile. Like having the Fiat drive up the side of a hill but only after driving through a river. Or having one of the Lupin's apparently watching "The Castle of Cagliostro" at a movie theater. And then having one of the Fiats out of the other 75 actually have the Cagliostro baggage slung onto it; with all the other Lupin's claiming that the driver of that particular Fiat has the best driving skills outta the rest of them. Little quirky stuff like that, I really dig in this movie.  ;D ;D ;D

But now for those of you who find this movie confusing, let me see if I can shed some light on what might be going on here.

So the world that we are watching is the REAL world, but apparently at some point in time, there really was a Lupin the 1st, a Lupin the 2nd, and then a Lupin the 3rd. That Lupin the 3rd did some thievery that became really famous, and somehow he and his exploits were turned into animated features like "The Castle of Cagliostro." After a while, someone decided to dress up like Lupin, but wearing a red jacket instead, and began to commit new crimes; since the green one came first, and then the red one sprung up. Even in the secret of Mamo it's claimed that Lupin was cloned a few times and one of the clones was pronounced dead. So that could somehow work it's way into the plot of this movie by explaining it like: there are some Lupin clones running around with some slight genetic alterations, and therefore they consider themselves different from the original Lupin, so they decided to wear a different jacket color than the original. Then some other look-alikes that were NOT clones, came along and started dressing and acting like Lupin as well. Until you get this huge mass of look-alikes and doppelgangers and possible clones.

In fact I think this "Clone VS Look-alike" idea might be probable, because I can clearly hear that some of the Lupins have a different voice actor, and the rest are played by Kurita. So that could mean that the Kurita Lupins are all clones maybe from different generations of cloning. And then the other ones are all completely different people that just happen to resemble Lupin.

However, we have also seen a guy with shaggy hair, who looks only a bit like Lupin, and claims to be named Lupin the 3rd in one of his rare lines thus far; but I can't quite explain that yet. Nor can I explain why one of the Lupins is with Fujiko, and why one of them is with Jigen. Does this mean that there are really only one Fujiko, one Jigen, and one Zenigata? Because if anyone in this movie is going to have just one of themselves, then it has to be Zenigata. As for Jigen, I think he might pal around with one Lupin, and then go off for a bit and hook up with another Lupin without ever noticing that it's a totally different guy. Cause while Fujiko may change her outfit, Lupin barely ever does until except in each new series. Jigen is ALWAYS wearing the same outfit though. So maybe he doesn't notice it's a different guy when he meets up with red-jacketed Lupin, and then Pink-jacketed Lupin. The same could be true of Fujiko, and yet she's supposed to be the smart one who doesn't tend to miss many details. So I don't think she'd be able to be fooled by alternative Lupins to the one she met first.

By this point I'm starting to get a bit confused myself, but I'm sure I can figure out a chart for all this just like I did for the related elements of Miyazaki, Disney, and Lupin that one time.

Again this is only speculation based on the first 10 minutes, so I still have another hour to go. I'll write up another post once I finish it within the next week.

But again, so far, I really really like this OVA.  8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 11:51:51 pm by FilmmakerJ »

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2013, 07:51:04 am »
I just got started, but I like how they were aware of Animeigo calling it Rupan in the U.S.  ;D Truly written by enthusiasts of the show. And it's clear fond of the whacked-out Monkey Punch-type storylines. [Also, I'm wondering if the Nolans are fans of Lupin, considering GvR and TDK both feature doppelgangers of the protagonist at the beginning.] Oh, and you can tell this is Japan, because no one goes nuts over kids playing with incredibly realistic model guns.  ::) Also, I think they hired some of the Akira/Short Peace crew for the animation job, and it looks really high tech, 'cus of that.

Edit: I gotta admit when I hear Ice Cube, I can only think of the rapper.  :P Oh, and the Engrish exchange is hilarious, as expected, even if it is grammatically accurate this time.

Edit 2: I wonder if TMS was scared of letting anyone bring over this anime here, because of the Pirates of the Caribbean poster on one of the walls.

Edit 3: You know, for a studio which didn't like Oshii's take on Lupin, they've certainly aped his atmospheric approach for this special.   

Edit 4: And sprak said there were no Nabeshin-type Lupins in GvR.  :P Pause at 50:42.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 09:34:43 am by GATSU »

sprak

• Cliff Hanger
    • Lupin III Encyclopedia
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2013, 12:17:01 pm »
Edit 2: I wonder if TMS was scared of letting anyone bring over this anime here, because of the Pirates of the Caribbean poster on one of the walls.

Considering most people, myself included, wouldn't even spot it, I doubt that's a factor. McD on the other hand...

Edit 4: And sprak said there were no Nabeshin-type Lupins in GvR.  :P Pause at 50:42.

I don't recall ever making such a statement. Context?

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2013, 06:38:46 pm »
sprak:
Considering most people, myself included, wouldn't even spot it, I doubt that's a factor.

Well, they got paranoid about the Justice League spoof, so...

McD on the other hand...

Or The Producers '05. Of course, they've gotten away with Coke and Streets of Fire so far, so...

Technically, I asked you if you thought Nabeshin was on the cover on Twitter, and you doubted it.

Edit: Now that I think about it, the DVD should have a scene selection option.  :(

Edit 2: So they have a close-up of Nabe Lupin. Hooray. I hope Reed explained the significance of him in the liner notes, but I haven't gotten there yet. Dammit, he didn't.  :'(

Edit 3: So I guess the giant robot in Roman was a wink to people who saw GvR?   8)

Edit 4: I really like the visuals on this one. Lot of detail.

Edit 5: I like how they're throwing a bone to Dezaki with the stills in the end credits. Also, Reed says the original manga ended in '69, but Wikipedia says '72. But then I checked Wikipedia Japan, and you were correct. So I updated the U.S. Wikipedia for consistency. It's possible the English Wikipedia was lumping in the green jacket anime with the manga. As for the old man, he could be Arsene Lupin I or II.

Anyway, I'll be honest and say I like this special more than A Woman Called Fujiko. GvR clearly was badly trying to ape Pulp Fiction in its "narrative" structure, but at least it didn't just put out a limp ending like Fujiko. This is more of a special for people who sat through umpteen Lupin incarnations than for casual fans. But its appeal lies in how it taps into the aesthetic of the Lupin tropes and persona. Definitely more of a purchase suited for the diehards, but I think regular fans can at least get an idea of what Lupin's like through it. Maybe even moreso than Cagliostro. The latter's great in how it introduces the characters, but it only has one real interpretation of Lupin. Though the Fujiko show still technically has the edge, because Goemon is severely underused in GvR. But overall, I feel like I get more replay value out of GvR than Fujiko.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 08:39:43 pm by GATSU »

sprak

• Cliff Hanger
    • Lupin III Encyclopedia
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2013, 09:08:00 pm »

Technically, I asked you if you thought Nabeshin was on the cover on Twitter, and you doubted it.

Wow, misquoting me by miles then. Actual response to your tweet with no further conversation on the topic after:
Yes "@ZERUDAH: @lupinnetwork @sprak @reednelson @Ulrika1120 @abcbtom Am I the only 1 who feels Nabeshin's silhouette is on GVR cover?"

"No, I don't see a Nabeshin on the cover" != "There is no afro Lupin in the show at all". Please... refrain from putting words in my mouth.

Edit 3: So I guess the giant robot in Roman was a wink to people who saw GvR?   8)

At least the giant robot in Roman made sense given the characters and events going on. Random robot in GvR is random...

As for the old man, he could be Arsene Lupin I or II.

Reed and I have gone back and forth on this at some length; some day, you might hear what that sounds like...

Anyway, I'll be honest and say I like this special more than A Woman Called Fujiko.

The consensus among a few of us is that both are admirable in breaking from the established formula and giving us something new. I agree I'll probably watch GvR more often simply because it is shorter with plenty of freeze frame eye candy, but Fujiko is something that makes me say "Yes, more like this please!"

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2013, 10:35:48 pm »
sprak:
Please... refrain from putting words in my mouth.

Yeah, ok. My bad. Sorry. I tend to say stupid things when I don't get enough sleep. But I still think that means he's on the cover.  :P

Now that I think about it, my only real gripe with GvR is the Logan family backstory is not really fleshed out. And what's with the neo-Nazi thing? But other than that, I dug the show.

But yeah, going back to Nabeshin, I know he's a latecomer to the Lupin family, so maybe he isn't considered "essential" to the franchise just yet. Hence him not being in the notes. But I think his influence has sort of helped push the series in a less rigid direction than it has gone in recent years. Plus, I think he's helped make the Lupin look more hip with younger American fans.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 10:52:21 pm by GATSU »

mikezilla2

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2014, 03:10:58 pm »
there wasint any commentary track ?

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2014, 02:23:31 am »
mike: Reed uploaded one to the site.