Author Topic: Lupin The Roleplay! Official Roleplay Planning {OOC} thread.  (Read 170652 times)

Geist_MD

• Boogie Woogie Loog Shugie!
  • [Member]
  • The Coiled Shuffler
Hiya, and welcome to LupinTheThird.net's premiere roleplay! This here thread be for out-of-character {or OOC} planning, and will be kept up to date with the ongoing events of the roleplay's in-character {IC} thread.

The Roleplaying Thread Proper.

The following information is subject to change at any time. This post will be constantly updated, as well as contain a chart on what those updates are. It is strongly suggested on every visit to the thread you check the updates.

PLEASE NOTE! Spoiler tags don't have real spoilers, they're just there to keep this looking tidy.

Lupin the Roleplay: The Official FAQ!
(click to show/hide)

=========================================

Character List:

The following is a list of characters and their respective authors. Once the RP begins, these folks are set in stone unless they resign their position, or at the checkpoint of the end of the initial story arc. Until then all names are tentative. Any character not in Red is confirmed and non-negotiable, not including speaking with the author and negotiating.

After each character is a short guidline on character. Before anyone mentions it, I'm not in the business of telling people how to play their character, but this is just so no one turns their character into a bumbling comic-relief guy: We're all as important as each other, here. It also helps reinforce the somewhat more dramatic tone Green-Jacket has and the less slapsticky humor the manga frequently employs.

Underlined characters needed; ones in red are confirmed to a player.
(click to show/hide)

The following authors have been spoken with and have had their place in the RP, for the immediate future{IE next week or so}, solidified.

Geist
Hokori
Southern Belle
Ishikawa Goemon {author, not character}
Lupin Lover
Lady Lupin

Still needed:
MizDucky
Doctor Furball

The Story So Far:
(click to show/hide)

CURRENT UPDATE – TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 16th
I added a whose-in-whose-not list, and updated our author bits. I decided against authoring a timeline, which would really just serve the purpose of the plot summary, and even then takes up as much space and is of the same usefulness.
(click to show/hide)

~Spectral Quack to the Deceased, Michael Davis, Esquire.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 05:08:27 am by Geist_MD »
1-888-SPY-HARD

Ishikawa Goemon

• Part of the Gang
  • Derpin' along.
Re: Lupin The Roleplay! Official Roleplay Planning {OOC} thread.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 03:23:53 am »
Well... here I am, still feeling a bit numb coming out of a post that was hard to write in the other thread. That aside, I think you've done a good job organizing this thread, and I am curious as to where things might head in the future.

Of course, I'm interested in slipping my feet into Goemon's sandals and giving him another go.
Lupin will look up and shout, "Save us, plot-device!", and I'll look down and whisper, "No".

Geist_MD

• [Member]
  • The Coiled Shuffler
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 04:00:30 am »
Well... here I am, still feeling a bit numb coming out of a post that was hard to write in the other thread. That aside, I think you've done a good job organizing this thread, and I am curious as to where things might head in the future.

Of course, I'm interested in slipping my feet into Goemon's sandals and giving him another go.
Seriously, my heartfelt apologies about the other RP, if it truly is finished. I've had a handful of really long stories with folks that fizzled, if not outright got quit. It's a real heartbreak sometimes, especially after being such a beloved timesink.

However, consider yourself pencilled in as Go-Man.
1-888-SPY-HARD

Ishikawa Goemon

• Part of the Gang
  • Derpin' along.
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 01:27:57 am »
Seriously, my heartfelt apologies about the other RP, if it truly is finished. I've had a handful of really long stories with folks that fizzled, if not outright got quit. It's a real heartbreak sometimes, especially after being such a beloved timesink.

However, consider yourself pencilled in as Go-Man.

Though there's no need to apologize, thanks; it's always nice knowing that there are people who can relate (and not lift their eyebrows when I explain that I'm lamenting the loss of a good text-adventure, heh).

Anyway, thank you also for tentatively setting me up with 'Mon.
Lupin will look up and shout, "Save us, plot-device!", and I'll look down and whisper, "No".

LadyLupin

• Part of the Gang
  • Lady Lupin Sansei
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 08:23:49 am »
I'm coming out of the burden of insane projects and final exams, so I still have that RP itch. The Green Jacket series is my favorite. It would be excellent if this RP took place in that time period, but the setting will by the creator's discretion. =) I would pounce on Zenigata, but I want to focus on an original character this time around. I thought about the possibilities revamping Fu Cheung from the previous RPG or another one. I'm going to stew on this and post a character idea sometime this afternoon.

BTW I passed that Mary Sue test. I dislike M Sue's for sure. =) 

Geist_MD

• [Member]
  • The Coiled Shuffler
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 03:36:54 pm »
Updated first post: please see update notes.

Here's a question I wanted to pose to you guys. Did you want to make the previous RP canon, even though I imagine this story will be a little leaning towards dark {more swearing, chances are}? And when introducing original characters, should there be a reintroduction or just start from scratch?

As for the RP itself, I had a very good plot idea that ocurred to me some days ago. I wasn't sure whether or not you guys were for, neutral, or against any planning, considering my own idea is still very rough.

Also, LL, soon as you've got a dead-set name for the character you'll be going with, lemme know and I'll put you in concrete, swookie?
1-888-SPY-HARD

Ishikawa Goemon

• Part of the Gang
  • Derpin' along.
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 04:27:49 pm »
Here's a question I wanted to pose to you guys. Did you want to make the previous RP canon, even though I imagine this story will be a little leaning towards dark {more swearing, chances are}? And when introducing original characters, should there be a reintroduction or just start from scratch?

I was thinking we might not need, or in some cases, want to refer to specific events in the last RP - but I personally would like Goemon to remember some little details, and throw them in if and when they are applicable. For example, let's just say Goemon is made to think about ki - he'll no doubt remember the time he had it sapped from him (he won't have to mention this aloud and 'force' other characters to consider this incident as canon, though) Things that can prompt memories like these might never come up, which is fine also. I hope I'm making sense. : x
As for the RP itself, I had a very good plot idea that ocurred to me some days ago. I wasn't sure whether or not you guys were for, neutral, or against any planning, considering my own idea is still very rough.
I know I'm all for hearing a general idea of what you have; it's always a good starting point.

As for your updates, Geist, I'm thinking on a sample post to offer; not sure how soon I will have it up, but it will definitely be here tomorrow, if not tonight.

Ishikawa Goemon

• Part of the Gang
  • Derpin' along.
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 05:54:08 pm »
Sorry for the double post:

It's a little hard for me to write around seven paragraphs on the fly, as I've always been a slow writer, and I couldn't think of anything that motivated me emotionally at the moment. Gulp, pressure. So... I have a shorter sample here that hopefully can begin to capture my interpretation of Goemon; I can and will gladly post more to make up for it, if need be. This is just a silly little scene/one-shot thingamajig; I don't think it's very strong, but, it's something. The previous thread is still there for one to take a look at if they are curious... but regardless, it's only fair that I follow this rule for canon characters and put something up here.

+ + +

Leafing through yellowed, gritty pages with a calm wistfulness, it wasn't until she sidled into the room that he lifted his eyes from the black characters neatly patterning paper. She stood before him expectantly in a yukata that clung gently to her form, her lips thoughtfully pursed. His stomach turned at the sight of her slender legs, held together as they were - and shaken with embarrassment, he was suddenly desperate to hide the fact that he had been staring blankly. Clearing his throat, he lifted the book to his face.

“What's that?” Noriko asked as she squinted at the cover. “I don't think I've ever seen it before.”

It took him a moment to understand that she wasn't referring to something horribly wrong with him. Sucking in his breath, he latched onto her question first as a merciful diversion, though gradually, he found himself considering it seriously. His eyes darkened contemplatively.

"This book has survived several generations." Goemon said evenly, slowly and softly snapping it shut over his lap like a padded box. Dust rose with the muffled thump. For a moment, his softly-veined hand musingly caressed its weathered cover, the tips of his fingers tracing the shapes of dry ink. A grim expression returned his gaze; a portrait of the first Ishikawa was on the cover, the stylized features echoed in other ukiyo-e artwork. He had often wondered if there was a grain of his ancestor's distinctive character to be found in the thin and delicate lips, the sloping nose, the grey shadow of facial hair.

"It was a parting gift from my grandmother." He smiled palely to himself. "I do not believe she knew of how many hands this had passed between."

Eyes soft with admiration and nostalgia, he carefully laid the hard-bound book aside with both hands; when he met Noriko's gaze some time afterwards, his look of enchantment had been replaced by tired sobriety. The tone of quiet awe had left his voice.

"I suppose it is time we go to sleep." He suggested, frowning bemusedly as she put her arms akimbo.

“...That's all?”

The ronin's eyebrows rose as he went cold, his features struggling to settle on a single expression; a guilty blush betrayed him. “...W-What do you mean?”
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 05:59:54 pm by Ishikawa Goemon »

Geist_MD

• [Member]
  • The Coiled Shuffler
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 06:04:58 pm »
Quote from: Ishikawa Goemon
WORDS!

Oh wow, that's such a prompt response, I'm really impressed! I'm a tch busy right now and I've still got stuff to do around the forums {The Download Thread will see an update shortly}, in additon to needing to answer a few PMs. Still that's really impressive, and I'll give it a once-over before long. Thanks!
1-888-SPY-HARD

Geist_MD

• [Member]
  • The Coiled Shuffler
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 07:37:34 pm »
Double posting as guiltily as you {for the sake of thread-bumping}. That was great! Now, lemme see if I've got this interpretation down. Goemon is as solemn as ever, but more than that, it comes of deep respect for his heritage, and his dedication to not only remembering it, but doing it honor and passing it down. Sensitive with an unspoken strength, he is still naive and innocent in the ways of women, although this does not hinder a healthy-if-restrained interest therein.

If I've misinterpreted your post, my apologies. I hope all your posts are as good as this one!

I'm talking to another player about the role of Lupin, but regardless of whoever takes what part, I imagine that role being filled sometime soon, so a post from Lupin's author should be forthcoming as soon as that's settled.
1-888-SPY-HARD

Ishikawa Goemon

• Part of the Gang
  • Derpin' along.
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 08:19:14 pm »
Double posting as guiltily as you {for the sake of thread-bumping}. That was great! Now, lemme see if I've got this interpretation down. Goemon is as solemn as ever, but more than that, it comes of deep respect for his heritage, and his dedication to not only remembering it, but doing it honor and passing it down. Sensitive with an unspoken strength, he is still naive and innocent in the ways of women, although this does not hinder a healthy-if-restrained interest therein.
You're absolutely right-on. He would like to settle down at some point with a wife and a kid, but that's a different story. :P

I hope all your posts are as good as this one!
Depends on what I receive... ha, but seriously, I will try hard to give it my all with every post, regardless of how long or how short. I'm glad and relieved that you dig it.

I'm talking to another player about the role of Lupin, but regardless of whoever takes what part, I imagine that role being filled sometime soon, so a post from Lupin's author should be forthcoming as soon as that's settled.
I'm eager to read it. :)

LadyLupin

• Part of the Gang
  • Lady Lupin Sansei
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 09:43:16 pm »
Updated first post: please see update notes.

Also, LL, soon as you've got a dead-set name for the character you'll be going with, lemme know and I'll put you in concrete, swookie?

I thought on revamping characters. I wouldn't mind starting over from scratch. Character info will be posted tonight soon.

LadyLupin

• Part of the Gang
  • Lady Lupin Sansei
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 11:40:31 pm »
Name: Master Fu Cheung
Ethnicity: Manchu Chinese
Occupation: Doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM)/Gung Fu Master
Religion: Taoist
Bloody Type: A
Height: 5’5
Weight: 135 lbs
Skills: acupuncture, tui na acupressure massage, herbology, various TCM practices, martial arts, meditation, yoga, tea making, calligraphy, lore, history, deciphering ancient Chinese    

Physical Description: A well-worn, yet sturdy man with a lean build. Despite his shorter stature, he carries himself with a sense of dignity and awe. To most foreigners he is obviously Chinese in appearance, yet to keen eyes would recognize the finer details of his Manchu heritage. His complexion is somewhat of a paler yellow-gold than some of his brethren. Deep-set almond-brown eyes gaze thoughtfully beneath thin silver-black eyebrows. A semi-pointed face, high cheekbones and wide forehead give him a stern, yet soft appearance. His head is crowned with black and silver-streaked hair pulled back into a long queue (braid), but differing from the traditional Manchu-style (which left the front shaved).

Clothing: Mainly silk changshan robes of various colors, although he has a particular fondness for blues and greens. All bear the symbol of the fenghuang, a bird of Chinese legend bearing similarities with the phoenix. Simple black lan han slippers are his preferred footwear.

Preferred Weaponry: Cheung is a man who prefers to not to start fights, but will become a vicious adversary if the situation is right. He prefers to fight with hand-to-hand or with traditional Chinese weaponry. He is particularly skilled in the shéng biāo (rope dart) and the butterfly sword. His fighting style relies on stealth, experience and accuracy to compensate for age.

Preferred Foods: congee with century egg, buddha’s delight

Preferred Drink: gunpowder tea (does not actually contain gunpowder)  

Likes: frequenting tea houses, studying taoist scrolls, weiqi  (go), nature

Dislikes: oppression

Current residence: Jin Kwoon in Wan Chai, Hong Kong

RP Sample

Two men knelt down facing each other on a platform beneath the outstretching canopy of camphor laurels. The older of the two cupped slender, bony fingers around the circumference of a porcelain cup and brought it to his lips. Its aromatic sensation flowed into his nostrils as the warm, semi-sweet tea flowed down the throat. He set the remainder away for later. It was tempting to take some more, but it could wait. Taking even simple pleasures in life in moderation was best.

"Now then, Huojin," the older cleared his throat, "What is it you wished to say to me, my son?"

The younger man bowed low, but his eyes never wavered from the gaze of the elder. "Father," he murmured, "I have never questioned your judgment, but why must it be my duty to carry on in your place? Shen is more like you in patience and mannerism. I am blunt and quick to temper."

Cheung raised his eyebrows. "You do not wish to succeed after I have left this world, Huojin?"

"It's not like that, father. Sometimes I feel like we come from different places in times. You are a doctor from the traditional school, while I pursue modern medicine at university. I believe in the old ways, but a part of me will always look to the future. It is inevitable that change comes and destroys what we perceive as once was."

A sense of understanding passed over the elder manchu's gentle, yet stoic eyes. "I think I understand now. You feel because you place your trust in modern medicine that you cannot place your trust in our 'folk remedies' as the newer generation would call it. My dear boy, even modern science begun to recognize many of our practices are in fact beneficial as they were in the pas just as advancements in new medicine is just as important."

Huojin bowed second time, "But still, I am nothing like you..."

"Is that so? We are all different in mannerism and temperament, Huo-jin. If I felt you were not worthy of carrying on my legacy do you not think I would have said so? Yes, you are my eldest son, but that is not the only reason I have groomed you to take my place. You are still young and have barely begun your journey of self-knowledge. Please listen closely as I have words of advice for you laid down from the Tao:

Intelligent people know others.
Enlightened people know themselves.

You can conquer others with power,
But it takes true strength to conquer yourself.

Ambitious people force their will on others,
But content people are already wealthy.

Prudent people will abide.
People unconquered by the idea of death will live long.
People who live according to their means last long."
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 08:26:26 am by LadyLupin »

Geist_MD

• [Member]
  • The Coiled Shuffler
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 01:12:04 am »
LL, I like information in general, and a lot of that might be especially helpful during the introductory vacinity of the RP, but I was hoping for something a little less profile and more along the lines of seeing the character in a one-off post in a situation that aptly exemplifies their character. Here, let's get an example.

---

Bob flicked the cigarette to cracked black concrete, ember tumbling and clinging to its existence despite slow fade.
I'm a detective.
The rain pouring over his form, Bob moved down those quiet streets, emptier all the time.
I'm a detective. Divored. Two kids. Canada.
He passed a mother and child on the sidewalk, letting them glance at him before decided to cross the street. He stank.
I live in my car.
Stank bad.
I could probably go for a sandwich.

---

This example is generally pretty much played for humor, but it tells you several things. A. Bob thinks pretty highly of himself, and is possibly delusion. Anyone who has an inner monologue like a Bogart movie probably is. B. Bob's pretty unsatisfied with his life, and probably in need of money {a good plot point to keep in mind if one were trying to grasp at an opener: Offering him a job would be an excellent start, as there's almost no chance he'd turn it down, and he probably gets a big kick out of being a detective in his own little fantasy.} And C, it gives you an idea of exactly how I'll write out my section of things, and that's good since we'll all be working together on this. Having a great concept of how an author will respond means you can tailor your own writing better, playing off each others's strengths and avoiding their weaknesses.

Now, it's worth noting my above post is not an example of anything more than my sense of humor. It's just an idea on what's ideal for "this is my character, how I write, and how they would be in a situation outside of profile". Besides, I'm sure any worthwhile craftsman wouldn't do their character justice: You'd just have to see 'em in action to get the best sense of them!

Anyway, thanks again, LL, not trying to come down on 'ya.
1-888-SPY-HARD

Jo

• Part of the Gang
  • natto mmm.
    • I am a vegan. Except on half price wing night.
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 01:42:53 am »
This has absolutely nothing to do with the roleplaying thread, but I felt the need to say:
All bear the symbol of the fenghuang
Is what my sister's Chinese name is based off of and....

Preferred Foods:  congee with century egg, buddha’s delight
....are literally in my top 5 favorite dishes xD

Anyways - It was a little sad to hear that the other RP ended so abruptly, but good luck getting this one going!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 01:55:59 am by JoYi »

Lupin III Manga Database[Scanlations and such are here]