Author Topic: Lupin The Roleplay! Official Roleplay Planning {OOC} thread.  (Read 170653 times)

Geist_MD

• Boogie Woogie Loog Shugie!
  • [Member]
  • The Coiled Shuffler
Re: Lupin The Roleplay! Official Roleplay Planning {OOC} thread.
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2009, 10:13:48 am »
I'm treating this as the other RP wasn't canon, at least not with Lupin the 1st being cursed and residing with Cheung. I thought that would be best unless you would like to incorporate elements of that for references.

Sure thing. I had considered that with it unfinished, we'd best leave it out, lest a resumption occur and its life extend beyond previous estimation. If there are elements that you guys'd like to incorporate, I'm more than happy with that.

Oh, and I'm being totally obtuse, here, in mentioning both yours and Miz's posts. I enjoyed both of them a great deal, and I certainly can't wait to work with both of you, for differing reasons. For you, it's your intense attention to detail. For her, it's the level of comraderie that's always great to observe between the two characters.

Once everyone's all ready, we'll begin. Speaking of, Mr Furball, sir, are you certain you're in? I just want to be clear because you sounded kind of unsure. Lemme know, thanks!

Edit: I'd also like to add that your stuff, LL, is stuff I'd read outside of fanfiction or RP, to be sure. I was just rereading some of the thread, and it occured to me that it really feels excellent unto itself. Onwards, gentlefolk!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 10:20:54 am by Geist_MD »
1-888-SPY-HARD

Geist_MD

• [Member]
  • The Coiled Shuffler
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2009, 12:16:30 pm »
Doublepost here for the second time. BLARGH! The last sample, after much deliberation, has been deemed "Too Little Lupin". Hence:

----------------

"Lupin the third! Freeze! If you come out and give us the jewels, we might take you to the police! Just come out with your hands up!"

"Make me."

A thousand rounds a minute, each pistol report a whipcrack, every assault rifle a rapidfire thunderstrike. The air smelled of toluene, and his legs sprung out, one after another, smile spread from east to west of his nose.

"YOU GUYS COULDN'T HIT ME IF I STOOD STILL!"

A booming loudspeaker, somewhere hidden, behind a gargantuan spotlight: "Prove it!"

Still dashing across brickwall, each gunshot causing chips of concrete to burst out all around him, he dove forward behind metal plating, gathering his wits.

"You know what's funny?" The question was more of a shout, screaming over gunfire that petered off.

"Shut up!"

"No, seriously, you guys need to hear this. You don't call the cops when I tell you I'm coming, which is pretty boring. You lock the place up, you don't guard the sewers, the air vents, the wet wall, the floorboard opening in the corner of the master bedroom, you know, under the rug?"

"SHUT UP!" The reports of gunfire tapered off, and the megaphone was unneeded as such.

"Then you lock me in your dingy little cellar with one guy so you can gloat amongst yourselves while you ready torture instruments, and judging from your family portraits, I'm guessing your idea of torture's a toothbrush--"

"CRAM IT YOU F**K!" A spark of gunfire, then it silenced again. The man speaking to the reloading thief was definitely the patriarch of the castle.

"--Then when I pick the lock because your hired goons are too afraid of male bonding to frisk me right, sneak past the poor guard trying to catch some Z's, and drop a few of your morons because they couldn't beat Helen Keller--"

"SHUT! UP!"

"--I get your jewels back, oh and rest assured I've got you by the jewels, then escape again. So, you know what the joke is?"

A single guard for the castle, somewhere in the crowd of hired guns. After his question, the sound could be heard of him being hit multiple times: "What's the joke?"

"Your security."

A single black grenade lobbed over his shoulder, cylinder tumbling end over end. Before anyone could react, it exploded, a brilliant flash of light and sound, every last man staring at its swirling trajectory blinded.

"Shoot, shoot him!"

"I can't see--"

"--WHATS GOING--"

"--my eyes!--"

"--Where is he!--"

"Well, you know, funny story."

Lupin's wingtipped italians smashed in the nose of one man, slinging him over the edge of a castle wall, dropping down a story. Yanking the assault rifle from his falling form, he used it to plow three other men off following the first, his enjoyment apparent and his tone taking tune.

"Oh, dashing through the crowd, crushing moron face--"

He jumped then kicked off the massive spotlight, planting his foot right on the face of a man cluthing his eyes.

"Over the shmo we go, stealing all the way Ha Ha Ha Ha!"

After leaping off of the face of that man, the guard's face hit concrete, and was out cold. Landing with a catlike grace, Lupin plucked the weapons off of three other men with little to no resistance, tossing them over his shoulder and over the 10-foot drop behind him. A few quick maneuvers brought them to his knees, and the crowd had grown significantly thinner.

He yanked on the hair of two men in police gear, two more hired guns for a bloated businessman with too much love of european architecture and pricey gems. With a firm hold, Lupin smashed their heads together and they fell.

Standing there satisfied, he turned to face the last of them. Aside from the weasel he'd just robbed, there was one man left.

"Freeze, you prick! I've got you now!

"You know what, I'm gonna draw my gun, aim it at you, and all before that happens, you're going to decide not to shoot me."

Slowly, grin playing on lips more amused all the time, he did just that. The last remaining goon put his gun down.

"..."

"See, now? What'd I tell you?"

"What did you do!"

"Nothin'. Except make you guys waste an awful lot of ammo. So, how're you feeling with an empty clip?"

"..."

"I'd like to have a chat with my friend here. Could you?"

"Sure."

That last bodyguard, dejected but happy to escape with some intense mockery, took off.

Lupin, satisfied, approached the pudgy man whose only defense was a megaphone.

"You know, I don't take kindly to being shot at, but here, I'm going to give you something you wish you never got."

Lupin reached into his jacket, and drew. After that, he gave the coward what he deserved.

"This is my card. See, look at that font, you won't get that anywhere else. I mean, really, there's an eggshell background, and the perfect lettering, and--oh, you must be bored, I'm just a boon for detail. Okay, well, there's my name and if you ever decide to get something worthwhile again, let me know, okay?"

Unbelieving of this egotism, that ruined little man questioned "Y-your name?"

"Yeah. I thought you knew, 'cause at the beginning of this post, you said something about me freezing, giving up, etc?

It's Lupin III. Don't forget it."

----------------

Aaaaaand that's my post, one much better than my previous entry. As I mentioned before, there's not a whole lot of Lupin, and I felt it was more important to show my portrayal of Lupin {and a very-rare ocurrence of breaking-the-fourth-wall, which I may do once in a great while} than my grasp of the characters as a whole. For the latter we'll be relying on each other: of greater interest is how I should handle myself first and foremost.

Anyway, hope it's of satisfactory quality. Now for some soba and Lupin red jacket eps.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 03:01:53 am by Geist_MD »
1-888-SPY-HARD

mizducky

• [Member]
  • "Go on punk, make my day."
    • Personal website
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2009, 02:16:44 pm »
Cool, all the above works for me. And thanks for all the compliments, Mr. Geist.  :)

Jigen Daisuke: MizDucky
A cool marksman with a .03 drawtime, he's cynical and untrusting of women, but deadly to his opponents and undyingly loyal to his partners.
"There is no one on earth I'm afraid of. And I will die with both of my hands untied." ~ Morrissey

Cool, this works for me too. Though I would like to expand a little on the way I play Jigen -- he's got a big hunk of Clint Eastwood's "Man With No Name" from The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly etc. in him, plus a bit of Eastwood's Dirty Harry Callahan ("You feeling lucky, punk?" "Go ahead, make my day") ... that laconic, humorous but genuinely scary-to-adversaries badassedness that I think is also well within Lupin canon, and more Green Jacket than Red. But underneath it all, my Jigen's got a heart of gold, and also has a genuine fondness for Lupin, again more reminiscent of Green Jacket than Red. In Red, Jigen's fondness for Lupin is obviously still there, but he wastes a lot more energy fussing at him and being pissed off at him; my Jigen is perfectly capable of being pushed to exasperation by Lupin's antics, especially around Fujiko, but tends to be more resigned to the fact that Lupin's just that way. Oh yeah, and while my Jigen does distrust Fujiko, and has a certain wariness around women, he's not incapable of falling for one like a ton of bricks, though his vengeance when betrayed by one is implacable--here I go Red, a la one of my favorite Red Jacket episodes, "The Rose and the Pistol"/"Shot Through the Heart." But above all, my Jigen just loves the life of action for its own sake, probably even more than the monetary reward. Thus the quote that I think would most characterize my Jigen comes from, of all places, Castle of Cagliostro: his exultant grinning "Finally! -- Some action around here!"  ;D
Lupin fanfic work-in-progress: "Fun and Thieving in Las Vegas"
http://www.mizducky.com/churchofwhoopie/2008/08/fun-and-thievin.html

angelidollinda

• Part of the Gang
  • I believe in the power of the thief!
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2009, 04:46:43 pm »
I apologize for taking so long to reply but here's my roleplay sample of Tottsan

====

It was going to be another hot one in New York, at least that was what the weather man reported on the crackling radio that resided on a desk inside the run down apartment. Inspector Zenigata groaned, wiping his forehead with the back of his hand. "It already is, you idiot..." He mumbled bitterly. The ancient air conditioner (which was more of a metal box with vents nailed to the wall that spewed cold air) had gone out, right before the city was about to have one of its worse heatwaves in a long time, and the land lord was in no hurry to fix it. However, as irritating as the heat was, the inspector would never let it get in the way of his work, as he flipped through the paper work from one of the case files Interpol had sent him.

About a few days ago, a collection of sapphire jewelry dating back to the 1800's was stolen from the home of Clarence Sumner, an oil tycoon that hailed from Kansas but currently lived in Austin. The sapphires, named the 'Tears of Africa', were collected from a diamond mine in Botswana by a coal miner who stumbled upon them by accident. He presented them to his beau as an engagement present and the jewels had passed through several generations until they somehow landed in the hands of Sumner. The 'King of Crude' (a title he had purchased for himself) was planning on having them re cut to create a necklace and earrings for his daughter's wedding, but the Tears of Africa had been snatched from him the night before he was planning to have them sent to the jewelers. With the wedding a week and a half away, he was determined to get them back and was not afraid to use his pocket book to contact every policeman and investigator he could track down; one of them just happened to be Inspector Zenigata himself.

While jumping to conclusions was unprofessional, Zenigata couldn't help but have a certain monkey-like thief in mind when it came to this case. Sumner's mansion was restored and expanded from an older building, but it had a sophisticated security system that made the Pentagon's look like a combination lock for a gym locker. A regular house burglar couldn't even get to the gate without triggering an alarm system, let alone make it into the front lawn. However, from the inspector's experiences (and many, many failures), Lupin III had breezed through complex computerized systems before. In fact, he was certain that the little French punk liked to break into highly-secured homes just to test out how secure they were! What the real question was, though, was the reason why Lupin would lift the Tears of Africa. Sumner had several other artifacts and treasures in his home that would appeal to the red jacket thief, but they were surprisingly all left intact except for the sapphires.

The inspector rubbed his cleft chin in thought. "I'm going to have to do some mining of my own to figure this out..." He said to himself, as he stood up from his desk and stretched. Then, he took his hat from the nightstand and slid it onto his head as he headed for the door to step out. He needed a beer.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 10:43:18 pm by angelidollinda »
Les temps sont durs pour les r

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2009, 10:37:58 pm »
Once everyone's all ready, we'll begin. Speaking of, Mr Furball (that's Dr. Furball to you), sir, are you certain you're in? I just want to be clear because you sounded kind of unsure. Lemme know, thanks!
Sure, why not?  I'm new to the whole RP thing, so please, no one hesitate to tell me what I'm doing wrong.  I should also warn you that I have a tendency to write a bit like a Stan Lee-wannabe, meaning the text may end up being so flowery you could bind together my posts then give them to a bride to throw at her wedding...see?

--

"Pick a card, any card." Melon Kiichi looked at the two uniformed officers seated in front of him.  The mustached cop in the middle sighed and picked a playing card from the deck spread out in Melon's hands.  He glanced at it, and put it back.  "Look, Melon.  I've seen this trick a hundred times.  You've either got a special 'marker' card or they're all the same." The bored, bespectacled policeman on the left whined, eager to get back to the issue of Playboy he had hidden in the men's room before being called by Melon.
   Melon shuffled the cards, doing a quick riffle, then going into a faro with lightning speed.  He smiled.  "Officer Katō, stick out your tongue."  The cop on the left shot Melon a quizzical look. "What?"  "Stick out your tongue."  With an eyebrow suspiciously raised at the beret-wearing detective, Katō opened his mouth and stuck out his tongue, tasting cardboard.  Melon swiped the card out of his mouth and showed it to the mustashed officer. "Is this your card?" Both public servants stared, wide-eyed. "Ye--"
"MELON!"
Inspector Zenigata's voice rang through the quiet, uneventful station.  A voice as melodic as an injured walrus, Melon quietly thought as he walked towards the chief's office, slightly hunched over with his hands resting in his pockets, and wearing his always-present grin. Entering the office, he saw the legendary Lupin-tracker standing before the chief, scowling at him. "You know, that smile of yours still gives me the creeps." Melon shrugged.
"Guys, I received a phone call just now from Masaaki Osumi, owner of Green's Clothing Store.  He says that he received a letter from Lupin III," said the chief, his bald scalp shining light into Melon's eyes. Zenigata's face twisted. "Um, what on Earth would Lupin want at a clothes store?" The chief replied, "Green's is known across Japan for being an expensive place where celebrities often shop." Kiichi's hands were now fiddling with a pair of handcuffs, "Didn't some famous actor ask for a special pair of pants?" 
The chief nodded.  "Yep.  Slacks made of golden fiber with diamond buttons and a platinum zipper."  Zenigata smirked. "I guess Lupin's finally wanting to update his look, eh?" Their boss continued: "Lupin said in his letter that he'll be striking Green's at 3 pm."  Zenigata saluted before rushing out the door. 
Melon himself ran back to his desk, grabbing a rifle before joining Zenigata outside.

--
Ok, I'm sorry it sucks.  I probably shouldn't have spent so much time establishing Melon's love of magic and I should've spent more on his reliance on assassination techniques.  Is it enough?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

Geist_MD

• [Member]
  • The Coiled Shuffler
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2009, 04:13:16 am »
Sure, why not?  I'm new to the whole RP thing, so please, no one hesitate to tell me what I'm doing wrong.  I should also warn you that I have a tendency to write a bit like a Stan Lee-wannabe, meaning the text may end up being so flowery you could bind together my posts then give them to a bride to throw at her wedding...see?

--

--
Ok, I'm sorry it sucks.  I probably shouldn't have spent so much time establishing Melon's love of magic and I should've spent more on his reliance on assassination techniques.  Is it enough?

I think that as a sample, we could use a little more, but in terms of the writing itself, there's nothing wrong with it. I'm hardly one to talk: I had to make a whole new post because my character was hardly the focus of my sample, so don't feel bad.

Aside from a run-on-sentence or two {hint: sentences are like food. Take two bites if you've got to, but stuffing it all in one is usually worse} and a little light on the menace, I think you're doing fine. The latter is closer to a character portrayal than a complaint. After all, I might see the character differently than you, and that's both natural and welcome.

Either way, welcome aboard!
*Really awesome writing.*

Seriously keep doing that. So awesome. I AM SO JAZZED.

Okay, everyone. Do you think we're set, or would you like to continue planning? I have an opening in mind to get us started, but nothing's set in stone, and since our characters and the basics all seem to be safely underfoot, did we want to brainstorm or wing it?

Also! To everyone who hasn't, please keep in mind I update the first post of this thread often, leaving notes in that same post as to what's been updated {so you're not wading through old stuff trying to find what's different}. I also bump the thread letting everyone know it's been updated, to be doubly sure. I don't believe anyone's guilty of missing anything yet, but I just don't want anyone to get lost in the shuffle, here. 
1-888-SPY-HARD

Ishikawa Goemon

• Part of the Gang
  • Derpin' along.
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2009, 09:08:54 am »
Okay, everyone. Do you think we're set, or would you like to continue planning? I have an opening in mind to get us started, but nothing's set in stone, and since our characters and the basics all seem to be safely underfoot, did we want to brainstorm or wing it?

Hm... with brainstorming, I personally feel things could get a little too complicated too soon with many good ideas being pitched at once, unless there's some filtering process which is bound to create a degree of disappointment in someone or other. At any point while writing, I think we could still have discussions here and throw ideas, to see which one or two, or three (circumstances permitting, at that given moment) might work best without giving away too many exciting details. If someone means to introduce a idea that affects more than their own character, whether sooner or later, it's probably worth running past the others. I'm sure that doesn't sound too fun, but again, one only has to hint at things rather than spoil them completely. Just my two cents Canadian here (which is worth less than American pennies! D8) - genuinely sorry if it comes off as bossy. I'm just thinking about the ups and downs of the situation myself and a few others have come from.

As for whether we should get this show on the road, I place a vote in favour of 'sure'.

Also! To everyone who hasn't, please keep in mind I update the first post of this thread often, leaving notes in that same post as to what's been updated {so you're not wading through old stuff trying to find what's different}. I also bump the thread letting everyone know it's been updated, to be doubly sure. I don't believe anyone's guilty of missing anything yet, but I just don't want anyone to get lost in the shuffle, here.
*nod* The organization does help; thanks.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 09:11:12 am by Ishikawa Goemon »
Lupin will look up and shout, "Save us, plot-device!", and I'll look down and whisper, "No".

Geist_MD

• [Member]
  • The Coiled Shuffler
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2009, 11:22:49 am »
IG: Not bossy at all, and much appreciated honesty. I'm cool with winging it, honestly, and it's my preference, but I know this isn't just mine. So, perfect!

One last thing I wanted to ask. In some cases {See: Jigen and Lupin}, there can be a rapidfire display of dialogue that's hard to emulate with just one person. Ideas?
1-888-SPY-HARD

mizducky

• [Member]
  • "Go on punk, make my day."
    • Personal website
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2009, 12:51:15 pm »
One last thing I wanted to ask. In some cases {See: Jigen and Lupin}, there can be a rapidfire display of dialogue that's hard to emulate with just one person. Ideas?
Well, I can't speak for others, but one possible way we could handle the Lupin/Jigen rapid-fire dialog, Geist, is to see if we can schedule those for a time (pre-arranged) when we can both be online simultaneously for a hunk of time, so we can rapid-fire post at each other ... or even take it to MSN, do the dialog in chat, save the chat transcript, and put it up as a single post, which would be easier to read in the thread.
Lupin fanfic work-in-progress: "Fun and Thieving in Las Vegas"
http://www.mizducky.com/churchofwhoopie/2008/08/fun-and-thievin.html

Geist_MD

• [Member]
  • The Coiled Shuffler
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2009, 10:25:50 pm »
Well, I can't speak for others, but one possible way we could handle the Lupin/Jigen rapid-fire dialog, Geist, is to see if we can schedule those for a time (pre-arranged) when we can both be online simultaneously for a hunk of time, so we can rapid-fire post at each other ... or even take it to MSN, do the dialog in chat, save the chat transcript, and put it up as a single post, which would be easier to read in the thread.
Okay, that works!

Alright, one more question then I'll type up something. To what extent are we going to ground stuff? Like, no Cagliostro-esque leaps from building to building, no Goemon cutting through entire walls? I'm in favor of both, but totally digging you guys's opinions.
1-888-SPY-HARD

angelidollinda

• Part of the Gang
  • I believe in the power of the thief!
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2009, 11:24:50 pm »
Hey Geist, have you found anyone who wants to roleplay Fujiko? I think she's the only canon character with a slot open at the moment.
Les temps sont durs pour les r

Ishikawa Goemon

• Part of the Gang
  • Derpin' along.
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2009, 11:43:30 pm »
To what extent are we going to ground stuff? Like, no Cagliostro-esque leaps from building to building, no Goemon cutting through entire walls? I'm in favor of both, but totally digging you guys's opinions.

When you say you're in favour of both, just to be sure, are you saying that you're fine with both scenarios or that you're not? Lupin is about suspension of disbelief, but yes, we all have probably discussed at some point (in other threads) where we draw the line. I say, what we go for depends on the situation. I wouldn't have Goemon cut through thick, supposedly impenetrable walls over and over - once or twice in one scene is fine, but if he makes a habit of it all throughout the roleplay, it'd be insulting to him (because he has better things to do with Zantetsuken,) and boring for myself, as well as the rest of you.

Hey Geist, have you found anyone who wants to roleplay Fujiko? I think she's the only canon character with a slot open at the moment.
Lol, I think he would have noticed. :P
Lupin will look up and shout, "Save us, plot-device!", and I'll look down and whisper, "No".

Geist_MD

• [Member]
  • The Coiled Shuffler
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2009, 11:52:19 pm »

Nope, but as listed in the Character section, she's not needed. Since we're gonna start as soon as I type something up {so anxious!} I figured we could leave her out.

When you say you're in favour of both, just to be sure, are you saying that you're fine with both scenarios or that you're not? Lupin is about suspension of disbelief, but yes, we all have probably discussed at some point (in other threads) where we draw the line. I say, what we go for depends on the situation. I wouldn't have Goemon cut through thick, supposedly impenetrable walls over and over - once or twice in one scene is fine, but if he makes a habit of it all throughout the roleplay, it'd be insulting to him (because he has better things to do with Zantetsuken,) and boring for myself, as well as the rest of you.
Actually, I'm dumb. I meant to type "I'm against both", shoot.

I think that we can explain away Goemon cutting through crap. because it's something that is technically {stress on technically!} possible, but like cutting apart the Empire State Building in Episode 0 is pretty blech. Anyway, thoughts?
1-888-SPY-HARD

LadyLupin

• Part of the Gang
  • Lady Lupin Sansei
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2009, 11:53:17 pm »
To what extent are we going to ground stuff? Like, no Cagliostro-esque leaps from building to building, no Goemon cutting through entire walls? I'm in favor of both, but totally digging you guys's opinions.

Lol, I think he would have noticed. :P

I say we keep things a little more grounded in reality. And no chi-esque escapades this time without a nod of approval from everyone. XD Cheung may believe in chi, but nothing like harvesting it or killing people with it.

BTW when shall we start? I'm ready whenever.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 11:54:56 pm by LadyLupin »

Geist_MD

• [Member]
  • The Coiled Shuffler
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2009, 12:13:48 am »
BTW when shall we start? I'm ready whenever.

Tell everyone what. Let's make this last call. If you're ready for things to begin, just post with "ready" or something to that extent. I want to make sure we're all on the same page and so forth. I realize some folks are more prompt than others with replies due to real life being busy and such, so this is just to keep us all set.

Ready when you are!
1-888-SPY-HARD