Author Topic: Cagliostro reference in "Conan Future Boy"  (Read 3610 times)

thnikkaman

• [Member]
  • all up ons
Cagliostro reference in "Conan Future Boy"
« on: March 05, 2007, 12:18:33 pm »
Last summer I remember watching an arabic cartoon channel (SpaceToon) where they show a Miyazaki cartoon called "Conan Future Boy", or in arabic "Adnan wa Leena". in one of the promos, where they show random clips of different cartoons, they have Adnan/Conan and his friend Absi/?? running in the forrest and jumpin in the exact same way as Lupin and Jigen did in the beginning of Cagliostro.

has anoyone else seen it? i'm surprised that its not in Wikipedia or on LtT.net. It's is one of the most popular japanese cartoons to be translated in arabic.
and they're serving, like...chicken... in a pan...with some... salad...and a... glass of milk? To drink?

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
Re: Cagliostro reference in "Conan Future Boy"
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 03:02:17 pm »
Well, I can't speak for Wikipedia but Future Boy Conan was never officially translated into English, and this is why I have not included it in my references archive on the old site. Also, as Future Boy Conan completed its broadcast a while before Cagliostro was released to theaters, the reference would be Cagliostro's nod to Conan, not the other way around. The crazy tower leap from Cagliostro was in the older Gulliver's Space Travels, also (I read this in Helen McCarthy's Miyazaki book, IIRC).

I think this was just Miyazaki's "impossible stunts" era. He obviously calmed down over the years, and swore off action-comedy films. Which is is a shame, seeing as in Cagliostro's and Albatross- Wings of Death's cases, he really shined with them.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 06:13:24 pm by Lupin the Third »
-R. Nelson

thnikkaman

• [Member]
  • all up ons
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 05:44:16 am »
hehe, shows what i know
and they're serving, like...chicken... in a pan...with some... salad...and a... glass of milk? To drink?

Robotech_Master

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 03:11:58 am »
I'd put it more down to Miyazaki liking to animate people in that particular style of jumping than a conscious reference.

There is, however, a brief cameo appearance by Conan himself in Cagliostro. During the pan over the clashing guards and cops on the castle battlements as the clock strikes its final time, you can see Conan's face, right behind someone with a sword. Listen to my commentary track, I point it out.