Author Topic: Mamo and Kirby: Closer than you think.  (Read 11835 times)

Sad cactus

Re: Mamo and Kirby: Closer than you think.
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2009, 12:29:43 am »
Whoa, didn't want to give the impression that I didn't like Dedede. You can like both, right? ^^;

alljackets67

• [Member]
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2009, 12:41:23 am »
I think the Star Warrior thing is just from the anime.
Anyway, what's up with all this talk about Meta Knight?  King Dedede is the coolest character in the series.  Just play Super Smash Bros. Brawl's "Subspace Emissary" mode to the end to see what I mean.  And for an example in Kirby's own games,
 (click to show/hide)
He breaks apart the Star Rod, preventing anyone from dreaming.  Kirby goes and retrieves all the pieces, defeats Dedede, and reassembles the Star Rod.  Then the monstorous Nightmare invades everyone's dreams, and Kirby realaizes that Dedede broke apart the Star Rod to protect everyone from Nightmare.

I like King Dedede. He is a good character and the series would be nothing without him. Though, I don't think King Dedede was that nice too often in the Anime which is why some people might not like him.

Wait, you thought? Does he have another form besides a purple Kirby? oO

Well, since anything in the game world can be subject to irrelevent change, I thought that way, but I think that it is probably his real form.

Good for you! ^^ It's good to keep the old stuff because good luck finding any of these in a GameStop these days. I see XBox, PS3, the DS, and the Wii all the way around. Everything else is considered ancient. : (

A Gameboy Printer? How does that work? ^^

Thanks for the link! oO Wow, so it's like a combination of a platform game with pinball. Looks like a fun game, but I think I would get dizzy watching Kirby spin for hours on end. ^^

I like hanging on to all of it, I'm even considering my first series DS (the big bulky silver one) a collectible since they got out-moded by the DS-lite. Though, I like going into Game Stop and seeing that they sell used Gameboy Advanced games now.

A Gameboy Printer was a small grey Gameboy shaped device that would print off of certain compatible systems http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m5a2IL4HU4&feature=related This makes me want to start using it again. lol. XD

It does get dizzy after a while and it would sometimes prove frusturating to make Kirby jump; also, the way you shake the Gameboy to make Kirby jump looks like your either mad at it or you're trying shake it to make your Gameboy work. The guy in the vedio has some sweet skills though. I was never that good.

Sad cactus

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2009, 12:57:47 am »
Thanks for the link! Wow, that's one sweet device. ^^ I'd love to print out a sprite of my favorite character in Super Mario RPG, Dr. Topper. Though that's for the SNES. Is that included in the compatible systems?

alljackets67

• [Member]
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2009, 01:36:13 am »
I think that it's only compatible with Gameboy Color games and can be used only with the Gameboy Color and the Gameboy Advanced and SP. Though, I only knew that it was compatible with Super Mario Brothers Deluxe when I first got it.

Sad cactus

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2009, 01:42:07 am »
Aw, that's too bad. I guess it makes sense that it's only compatible for the portable systems, though. : (

alljackets67

• [Member]
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2009, 01:52:56 am »
That does stink. Though, the oldest thing I have is a Gameboy Color. I'm getting this feeling from talking about these nostalgic Nintendo things and it's awesome. =) I took so many Nintendo things back in the day for granted, like the Nintendo 64 and Playstation one that my old school's after school program would have. There's alot I'm remebering now like the Pokemon Gameboy Color.

I hope Starfy will be good.

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2009, 02:36:33 am »
Whoa, didn't want to give the impression that I didn't like Dedede. You can like both, right? ^^;
I didn't get that impression from you, it was more like "Kirby is being discussed; I must gush about how awesome my favorite character is," from me.

I like King Dedede. He is a good character and the series would be nothing without him. Though, I don't think King Dedede was that nice too often in the Anime which is why some people might not like him.
True.  I think his character design was changed to reflect that.  Compare his look from Super Star to that of the TV series

That does stink. Though, the oldest thing I have is a Gameboy Color. I'm getting this feeling from talking about these nostalgic Nintendo things and it's awesome. =) I took so many Nintendo things back in the day for granted, like the Nintendo 64 and Playstation one that my old school's after school program would have. There's alot I'm remebering now like the Pokemon Gameboy Color.
I hope Starfy will be good.
There's just something about video games that brings back fond memories of days gone past, isn't there?
I don't mean to brag, but aside from a Virtual Boy, I own pretty much ever Nintendo system (yes, even Game & Watch).  So many memories...
Also, i've heard good things about Starfy.  I've known about the series for a few years now, mostly because my man Wario guest starred in one of the Japanese games.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

alljackets67

• [Member]
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2009, 03:32:01 am »
True.  I think his character design was changed to reflect that.  Compare his look from Super Star to that of the TV series

He looks a lot more antagonistic in the TV Series as apossed to the chibi style in Super Star.

There's just something about video games that brings back fond memories of days gone past, isn't there?
I don't mean to brag, but aside from a Virtual Boy, I own pretty much ever Nintendo system (yes, even Game & Watch).  So many memories...
Also, i've heard good things about Starfy.  I've known about the series for a few years now, mostly because my man Wario guest starred in one of the Japanese games.

Video games can do that. =) I have many fond memories of Super Mario Sunshine and the crazy Super Smash Brother Melee fights I'd have at my friends houses. I really prefer some of the older memories from when I could remember my first Gameboy Color.

That's awesome having such a huge collection! I doubt I'll ever have a collection that big, but I love hanging on to whatever I get and watching it become vintage. =)

Starfy looks very Kirby-esque so I got excited. If it's been around for a few years then there's plenty of new releases to be seen in the near future. Wario in Starfy sounds interesting since from the look of it you would never suspect any collaberation of the two. Cool! =)

Sad cactus

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2009, 11:22:50 am »
XD Wario fart suicide! Oh, wait, that's Brawl, not Melee, whoops. ^^;

I really prefer some of the older memories from when I could remember my first Gameboy Color.

Ah, Gameboy color...that was your first, right? ^^ oO When I got a Gameboy Color, I was surprised that it was in color. Except for the SEGA game gear, the handheld systems I was acquainted with were in black-and-white--sometimes green-and-white, depending on the brightness. Bye, bye eyes. XD

I remember playing Pokémon Blue on the Game Boy Color and was wowed that everything had a blue tint. Then Pokémon Yellow was actually in color, if I'm not mistaken. The good old days when stunning graphics weren't the big deal--wow, don't I sound old? XD

I didn't get that impression from you, it was more like "Kirby is being discussed; I must gush about how awesome my favorite character is," from me.

Whoops, didn't mean to leave that impression. oO That doesn't sound like me, to have a main villain as a most favorite character. I love both Dedede and MetaKnight--and Dedede does have seniority--^^;; But of all the characters in Kirby, my favorite are the minor enemies--Waddle Dee with his parasol, Waddle Doo with his one tuft of hair. XD oO Yes, I must gush. Where else can you express love for characters if not on forums like this? X_X It's not like you can just walk up to someone and start talking about Kirby, much less express admiration for any of the characters in the Kirby universe, let alone any video game universe. I'm sorry if I offended your tastes by gushing, but I can't help it. : (

That's hardcore. oO Though it's not surprising coming from the guy with the Mario avatars and signatures and extensive knowledge of Nintendo stuff. ^^ How many Nintendo systems do you own? oO That must be a lot. ^^

True.  I think his character design was changed to reflect that.  Compare his look from Super Star to that of the TV series

That's scary. Oo It's like how Bowser changes size depending on the occasion. Small and a little bigger than Mario in Super Mario RPG, large in Super Mario 64, gigantic in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Yoshi's Island. Or wait--is Baby Bowser different from Bowser?

I have many fond memories of Super Mario Sunshine and the crazy Super Smash Brother Melee fights I'd have at my friends houses.

How was Super Mario Sunshine, anyways? oO The 3D made me dizzy so I didn't play it. How long did it take you to finish it?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 11:33:28 am by Sad cactus »

DrFurball

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2009, 12:15:47 am »
Whoops, didn't mean to leave that impression. oO That doesn't sound like me, to have a main villain as a most favorite character.
No, I meant that a discussion about Kirby prompted me into talking about my favorite character.  Sorry.

That's hardcore. oO Though it's not surprising coming from the guy with the Mario avatars and signatures and extensive knowledge of Nintendo stuff. ^^ How many Nintendo systems do you own? oO That must be a lot. ^^
NES, Super NES, N64, GameCube, Wii, Game Boy, GBC, GBA, DS, and a Game & Watch replica keychain.  I forgot that I don't have a DSi, either. 

How was Super Mario Sunshine, anyways? oO The 3D made me dizzy so I didn't play it. How long did it take you to finish it?
I know you didn't ask for my opinion, but I wanna give it anyway.  It's not a bad game by any means, but it's the weakest of the 3D Super Marios.  You'd be better off playing 64 or Galaxy.

Sad cactus

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2009, 01:13:21 am »
No, I meant that a discussion about Kirby prompted me into talking about my favorite character.  Sorry

Wow, I suck. oO Thanks for clearing that up, I need to get offline and get some sleep, I can't believe I completely misinterpreted what you said. : ( Then, gush away! ^^

NES, Super NES, N64, GameCube, Wii, Game Boy, GBC, GBA, DS, and a Game & Watch replica keychain.  I forgot that I don't have a DSi, either. 

Holy crap. OO So that's ten systems? You're truly a dedicated Nintendo guy. ^^

know you didn't ask for my opinion, but I wanna give it anyway.  It's not a bad game by any means, but it's the weakest of the 3D Super Marios.  You'd be better off playing 64 or Galaxy.

Then it wouldn't be a forum, if it was just two people talking to each other. ^^ And also, you know your Nintendo. XD The weakest, huh? I guess it can't be too solid of a game if all you do is spray water over everything. And don't you have to refill the canister?
I did play 64, and beat it after maybe 50 hours. X__X;;; I haven't played Galaxy--so is that Mario in space? oO

DrFurball

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2009, 02:26:13 am »
Wow, I suck. oO Thanks for clearing that up, I need to get offline and get some sleep, I can't believe I completely misinterpreted what you said. : ( Then, gush away! ^^
Hey, it happens to us all.

Holy crap. OO So that's ten systems? You're truly a dedicated Nintendo guy. ^^
I'll take that as a compliment.  Thanks.  Whew, took 16 years if collecting, but I finally did it!

The weakest, huh? I guess it can't be too solid of a game if all you do is spray water over everything. And don't you have to refill the canister?
Well, like I said, it's a great game.  It improves on some things from 64, like graphics, camera, and storyline (yeah, a Mario game with an actual story!).  My only real gripes about the game is that F.L.U.D.D felt pretty gimmicky, and that there wasn't as much platforming as I had hoped, which is a big no-no for a Super Mario game.

I did play 64, and beat it after maybe 50 hours. X__X;;; I haven't played Galaxy--so is that Mario in space? oO
Super Mario Galaxy is basically Super Mario 64 in space, but with the improvements from Sunshine, and adding a whole bunch of awesomeness. To quote our very own Zoo Station:
That game is nothing short of perfection.
I'd probably be my favorite game of all time if I didn't have such nostalgic ties to Super Mario World.

alljackets67

• [Member]
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2009, 02:41:34 am »
Woah! First day that I didn't use the computer all day! A first in a while.

Ah, Gameboy color...that was your first, right? ^^ oO When I got a Gameboy Color, I was surprised that it was in color. Except for the SEGA game gear, the handheld systems I was acquainted with were in black-and-white--sometimes green-and-white, depending on the brightness. Bye, bye eyes. XD

I remember playing Pokémon Blue on the Game Boy Color and was wowed that everything had a blue tint. Then Pokémon Yellow was actually in color, if I'm not mistaken. The good old days when stunning graphics weren't the big deal--wow, don't I sound old? XD

The Gameboy color was my first. lol. I was about 4 I think. The first games I had for it were Pokemon Red and SMB DX. To this day, I'm stuck on the second to last level of SMB DX and I haven't finished Pokemon Red (or any other Pokemon game I have. X_X) Pokemon Yellow! I was so excited because Pikachu followed you around and that I didn't have to catch wild Pikachus all the time to get him.  From what I remember, Pokemon Yellow would change colors depending on where you went. You don't sound old at all Sad Cactus. (Ow! My hip! X_X) It's not getting old, it's gaining knowledge and realizing the newer generations will never have what we had. lol.

Let Kirby be disscused with open minds and arms!!!! Waddle Doo! The most unsung character in the franchise in my opinion.

Super Mario Sunshine was pretty fun in my opinion. The tropical settings where really fun. I never truely finished the game having not collected all the Shine Sprites. It did take a long while to beat. F.L.U.D.D. was a bit of a rip. Galaxy was a real treat I must say.

NES, Super NES, N64, GameCube, Wii, Game Boy, GBC, GBA, DS, and a Game & Watch replica keychain.  I forgot that I don't have a DSi, either.

You pwn everyone I know of! That is amazing! I'm still remember being upset when my parents sold their old Playstation one at a garage sale, since I had been begging them for one. X_X I know it's not Nintendo, but I wanted to say that. A senior in my Technical Theatre class said something once about how his NES exploded. oO

Sad cactus

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2009, 08:17:59 am »
As I type, "Samba Temperado" from Play the Lupin  is on loop in my head. oO
 I find it funny they use the music they played on the beach for Zeni..XD .

I'll take that as a compliment.  Thanks.  Whew, took 16 years if collecting, but I finally did it!

Wow, congratulations! 16 years? ::Whistles.:: You must be Nintendo's best customer. ^^

and that there wasn't as much platforming as I had hoped, which is a big no-no for a Super Mario game.

That's true, Mario practically wrote the book on platforms, right? I guess that would be misleading, to market it as a standard Mario game. You said it had a storyline--so was it more of an RPG?

I'd probably be my favorite game of all time if I didn't have such nostalgic ties to Super Mario World.

Wow, it sounds pretty fun. ^^ What system is it on? oO

Woah! First day that I didn't use the computer all day! A first in a while.

Congratulations! ^^ Freeedom! XD But seriously, it is good to get away from the computer for awhile.

and I haven't finished Pokemon Red (or any other Pokemon game I have. X_X

That's nothing to be discouraged over. ^^ Catching all 150? What a pain, especially how you need to trade for some of them, etc. On the other hand, trading was a good way to get to know people.

I was so excited because Pikachu followed you around and that I didn't have to catch wild Pikachus all the time to get him.

Oh, yeah---wasn't his sprite as big as your character? For some reason I remember him being huge. XD Ah, so it wasn't in true color like Ruby and Sapphire or Mystery Dungeon? Huh, wow, it's been so long. oO

On that note, have you ever played Mystery Dungeon? It's my favorite Pokémon game because you play as a Pokémon, and you'd have to eat periodically to keep your belly full, else you would pass out. oO

(Ow! My hip! X_X)

XD!!!!

It's not getting old, it's gaining knowledge and realizing the newer generations will never have what we had. lol.

That's a very insightful way to look at it. Our generation had the best videogames, the best cartoons--we also had the tail end of the Cold War but I feel bad for the younger generation today, having to grow up with all of this crap. Life's so much more complicated now.

Let Kirby be disscused with open minds and arms!!!! Waddle Doo! The most unsung character in the franchise in my opinion.

Yes! ^^Along with all the other minor enemies like Sir Kibble, Poppy Bros. Jr., he is pretty neglected. I can't get over his hair. If not for the hair he would look like Waddle Dee but he's got the big eye that shoots lasers and the hair---and he's red. oO It's weird, why are round, red characters so appealing? There's Waddle Doo, there's Mr. Noisy from the Mr. Men Show--oh, wait, have you ever seen the Mr. Men Show?

I never truely finished the game having not collected all the Shine Sprites.

Yay, Shine Sprites! Ah, right, since it's a Mario game, I guess you have to collect everything to be truly finished with it. oO  But you got to the final boss, so that's half beating it, at least. ^^ Wow, three people who vouch for Galaxy. Yay for living under a rock, I've never seen it before. X__X

alljackets67

• [Member]
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2009, 09:06:59 pm »
Congratulations! ^^ Freeedom! XD But seriously, it is good to get away from the computer for awhile.

It is, but I tend to abuse the no school day aspect of summer and stay up all night. =/

That's nothing to be discouraged over. ^^ Catching all 150? What a pain, especially how you need to trade for some of them, etc. On the other hand, trading was a good way to get to know people.

That's true, and also the fact that I tend to get stuck somewhere (ex.-Fire Red- I got lost in a cave; embarassing ex.- Pokemon Yellow- never beat Brock since Pikachu was not strong enough despite TONS of training) or my game glitches. (Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door glitched on me!!!! X_X I collected all the stars and the door DID NOT OPEN!!!!!!)

Oh, yeah---wasn't his sprite as big as your character? For some reason I remember him being huge. XD Ah, so it wasn't in true color like Ruby and Sapphire or Mystery Dungeon? Huh, wow, it's been so long. oO

On that note, have you ever played Mystery Dungeon? It's my favorite Pokémon game because you play as a Pokémon, and you'd have to eat periodically to keep your belly full, else you would pass out. oO

Pikachu's sprite was the same size as your character so he looked HUGE! o_O Pokemon Yellow wasn't in true color, but true rainbow. lol. I never did play Mystery Dungeon. My gaming has sadly dwindled with the aspect of other obligations due to school or personal life. =(

That's a very insightful way to look at it. Our generation had the best videogames, the best cartoons--we also had the tail end of the Cold War but I feel bad for the younger generation today, having to grow up with all of this crap. Life's so much more complicated now.

Some of it's good, but the rest is crap. =/ They never grew up with simple games or lived through something as big as the Pokemon franchise in America (or your nose bleed in the Random Conversation Thread. XD) They've all grown up complexity and expect the best from everything they play or they hate it. Even though I tend dip into this generation (does being born in 1992 count?), there is a very large feeling of generation gap that I have with my friends. I have some difficulty with seriously complex games (I can't do combos so I hit all the buttons.) I also tend to get along better with people older than me. X_X I'm an outcast of my own generation. Also, I'm not as dramatic as the current generation is with life issues (my emotions don't bend like a twig because I'm upset at something stupid like losing my iPod because I failed a test I didn't study for.) Not trying to sound mean or nasty. =( Just venting the loneliness.

Yes! ^^Along with all the other minor enemies like Sir Kibble, Poppy Bros. Jr., he is pretty neglected. I can't get over his hair. If not for the hair he would look like Waddle Dee but he's got the big eye that shoots lasers and the hair---and he's red. oO It's weird, why are round, red characters so appealing? There's Waddle Doo, there's Mr. Noisy from the Mr. Men Show--oh, wait, have you ever seen the Mr. Men Show?

Red characters tend to be like a slap in the face with their color. Add that fact plus a million Waddle Dee and you have the most unforgetable minor character in a series. lol. I must say, it's not that I have seen the Mr. Men Show, it's the fact that I watch it that makes me know who Mr. Noisy is. =D It's one of my favorite shows for some reason! Yay!

Yay, Shine Sprites! Ah, right, since it's a Mario game, I guess you have to collect everything to be truly finished with it. oO  But you got to the final boss, so that's half beating it, at least. ^^ Wow, three people who vouch for Galaxy. Yay for living under a rock, I've never seen it before. X__X

Yay for half beating everything! Don't feel bad Sad Cactus, I almost missed Galaxy too. lol. That reminds me, I need clean the mold from under my rock. Spring was several seasons ago, but I was still under my rock.