First reported at ANN, spring 2012 will see the start of a "Master File" project to produce a definitive, "condensed" compliation of the series on Blu-ray and DVD. What this means is anyone's guess. All I know is that I am not buying yet another copy of Cagliostro or Mamo... Unless there are some kick-ass extras...
First caught the news on ANN; Discotek has announced that they have licensed the first series for DVD release in the US. The release date is a vague "spring 2012" time frame. Few details beyond this are currently available.
Given their acquisition of Babylon never saw the light of day, I am not celebrating until I can actually pre-order the set. Far too much time between now and "spring 2012"; anything can happen... But, we can hope...
CD Japan has a listing for an upcoming Blu-ray box set of 21 Lupin TV specials. It is a pricey set at 84000yen or ~ US$ 911 and will be released March 17.
Three interesting things to note about the set:
- The Conan crossover is not included in this set. Make of that what you will.
- This year's special is included in the set. That's quite the turnaround -- air in February, released on home video in March.
- This appears to be the only way to get this year's special on Blu-ray. CD Japan has the standard regular DVD and regular DVD + CD editions listed. Nary a stand-alone Blu-ray version in sight.
While the price tag is steep, it is slightly cheaper than trying to pick all of the Japanese versions of the specials up individually. Where I have nearly all of the specials already on DVD, I think I'll stick with picking up the DVD+CD version.
Thanks to Buster Darkwings' post in the mania.com anime forums for the heads up.
Coming out on 22 April are two DVD releases of PLAY THE LUPIN "clipsxparts" around what appears to be music videos based on the music from Lupin the Third. If you just want the clips, you can pick up a 20 minute DVD containing five clips running four minutes each. That will set you back 2100¥. For 4200¥, you can get 60 minutes of clipsxparts; details are scant at the moment, so it is difficult to tell what the additional 40 minutes contains.
Blu-ray aficionados can wait until 22 May and shell out 5250¥ for that version. Hasn't even hit the official Vap site yet; Amazon JP seems to be the only site I've found that has any listings for it.
Original news source: lupin-3rd.net
- VPBY-13333 (clipsxparts)
- VPBY-13334 (clips)
- VPXY-7104 (Blu-ray)
- Cagliostro and Mamo will be released 2008 Dec 3.
- First TV series will be released 2008 Dec 21.
- Second TV series will be released 2009 Feb.
Will be interesting to see if they've done further restoration for this latest release.