Author Topic: The New Random Conversation Thread  (Read 179650 times)

rpguidry

• [Member]
Re: The New Random Conversation Thread
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2009, 06:40:54 pm »
Debating whether or not to shell out the money on a new PC.  I've been stuck on a laptop for the past couple of years, but now that money isn't really an issue I want to get back into PC gaming. 

I figure as a programmer I can justify the expense...kinda.  Honestly though just being able to run VMware without freezing is justification enough for me at this point.

Geist_MD

• Boogie Woogie Loog Shugie!
  • [Member]
  • The Coiled Shuffler
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2009, 09:34:53 pm »
Uhhh, major moderator error on my part. I went to reply, and hit "modify" instead of "quote" on JoYi's last post. My most sincere apologies, but there's nothing I can do to recover the original. I will now proceed to banish myself to the Negative Zone for my transgressions.
1-888-SPY-HARD

Jo

• Part of the Gang
  • natto mmm.
    • I am a vegan. Except on half price wing night.
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2009, 10:14:06 pm »

Lupin III Manga Database[Scanlations and such are here]

Geist_MD

• [Member]
  • The Coiled Shuffler
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2009, 11:37:58 pm »
1-888-SPY-HARD

blackcoated

• [Member]
  • the world is mine
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2009, 02:56:59 am »
played street fighter 4 today,it was kinda difficult on Easy for me,and i kinda got mat  at a lil kid for not pushing star(which meant  going  all the way back to the beggining)after losing to  seth,i kinda overreacted a lil bit

http://www.myspace.com/weberwound
my 1st uploaded and made by me video on youtube maybe ill do areview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVIu3Jssf7A&feature=channel_page

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2009, 04:42:29 am »
played street fighter 4 today,it was kinda difficult on Easy for me,and i kinda got mat  at a lil kid for not pushing star(which meant  going  all the way back to the beggining)after losing to  seth,i kinda overreacted a lil bit
Hey, happens to us all.  I've made great progress in Zelda games before turning off the console and only to find the next day that I forgot to save.

And I believe I am officially an insomniac.  It's almost 5am here and I can't sleep because I know that when I go to lie down, I won't be able to, due to a sudden feeling of loneliness, for some reason.  I don't know why. 
Leaving a TV on as I try to go to sleep usually helps, but the cable's not hooked up in my room.  Anyone else ever had this problem?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

Geist_MD

• [Member]
  • The Coiled Shuffler
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2009, 05:24:42 am »
When I was real little, at one point we lived in this rinky dink little utility with no bed rooms. Two adults and a kid, with only one of them being on normal sleeping hours, tended to give me some funny neuroses, among them the need to be hearing something to sleep. Nowadays it's usually running water {I've got this cool fountain thing I was given a few years back}, or Winamp on a sleep playlist, but you might have more than an insomnia, chief: It could just be depression, of which a byproduct is insomnia. Anything on your mind, stressing you out?
1-888-SPY-HARD

Jo

• Part of the Gang
  • natto mmm.
    • I am a vegan. Except on half price wing night.
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2009, 03:23:05 am »
Ah... I've had my fair share of sleeping disorders. It won't hurt to force yourself into a proper sleeping pattern. Try shutting everything off at around 10 and getting into bed at around 10:30 ish, then set your alarm for 7 am (or at least sometime before 10 am). Some people find that getting up with the sun actually helps their energy levels during the day. They feel motivated to do things rather then sitting around the house.

You could also try Melatonin supplements. Perfectly safe and used to treat seasonal affective disorder. Basically low levels of melatonin in the blood (which can be caused by too much light exposure) can cause insomnia, which is why the supplements work for uh insomnia.

And if you're concerned about depression, you should talk to someone =) Always good to nip something like that in the bud.

Lupin III Manga Database[Scanlations and such are here]

HyperInSugar

• [Member]
  • Dance like there
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2009, 06:42:13 pm »
My week has been pretty good. I've been working a lot in the yard and building a platform for my Hot tub to go on and working on the ponds and mowing and watering. And then laundry too. Keeping busy. But what I can do? It´s summer and I need to keep myself busy! Then,on Thursday, my friend came over and we stayed up until 5:30 pm, watching ridiculous stuff on youtube and doing nothing considered benneficial by the doctors, only eating stupid shit like cold pizza and messing up with my computer. And well, I have been sleeping all Friday. Yesterday I was forced by my sister to watch HP and the half-blood prince and well...

(click to show/hide)

Dr Furball- Depressive disorders make you feel exhausted, worthless, helpless, and hopeless. Such negative thoughts and feelings make some people feel like giving up. You should realize that these negative views are part of depression, and typically do not accurately reflect your life situation. Negative thinking fades as treatment begins to take effect. Psychotherapy, especially cognitive psychotherapy, is specifically designed to change the negative thinking associated with depression. 

In the meantime:

-Do not set difficult goals for yourself, or take on additional responsibility.
-Break large tasks into small ones, set some priorities, and do what you can as you can.
-Do not expect too much from yourself too soon, as this will only increase your feelings of failure.
-Try to be with other people; it is usually better than being alone.
-Force yourself to participate in activities that may make you feel better.
-Try engaging in mild exercise, going to a movie, a ball-game, or participating in religious or social activities.
-Don't overdo it or get upset if your mood is not greatly improved right away. Feeling better takes time.
-Do not make major life decisions, such as changing jobs, getting married or divorced, without consulting others who know you well and who have a more objective view of your situation. In any case, it is advisable to postpone important decisions until your depression has lifted.
-Do not expect to snap out of your depression. People rarely do. Help yourself as much as you can, and do not blame yourself for not being up to par. 
-Remember, do not accept your negative thinking. It is part of the depression and will disappear as your depression responds to treatment.
-Get help from a professional.  No matter how much you want to beat it yourself, a psychologist can help you recover faster.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 07:02:22 pm by HyperInSugar »
Why I am here:

-To be a dAmn addict
-To herd llamas
-To view pretty, pretty Jigen and Goemon pics

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2009, 04:44:22 am »
Thanks for the concern, guys!  I don't think it's depression, though. 
What I think the problem is, is that whenever I try to sleep in my room, I feel disconnected from everything else, as if the rest of the world has ceased to exist...hence my feelings of loneliness.  That's also why I turn the TV on when I can, to reassure myself that there's other people out there.

I know it sounds ridiculous and probably doesn't make much sense.  I think it's pretty stupid, myself.  But I'm at a loss of what to do, and it's almost 5am again...
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

Sad cactus

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2009, 02:16:28 pm »
I find when I can't sleep, I haven't done enough to get me tired. Are you very active during the day?

mc_carter

• [Member]
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2009, 08:14:54 pm »

Seth is hard to beat for everyone, do some of the challenges its really good training for combos an what not. When in doubt use ken you can spam the shoryuken.

HyperInSugar

• [Member]
  • Dance like there
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2009, 12:59:50 pm »
Loneliness sucks and is far worse if its in the middle of summertime, but I considered myself lucky and I know I have been investing an awfully amount of my time watching tv or anything related to being in front of a shinny screen, but at least I go out with my family and my friends (not with a boyfriend, we break-up last month). People think I am an anti-social, freak or whatever they want to call it, but I dont really care, because I am happy about who and how I am and I like to due the things my own way
Why I am here:

-To be a dAmn addict
-To herd llamas

mizducky

• [Member]
  • "Go on punk, make my day."
    • Personal website
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2009, 01:31:20 pm »
Re: Loneliness -- one of the weird freedoms I discovered when I passed my half-century mark on the planet was the acceptance of the fact that my problems making friends was exacerbated by the fact that a) I'm really damn picky--even if a person is nice and friendly, if they're really conventional and/or lacking brains, I get bored with 'em; and b) I just don't feel like toning down any of my eccentricities any more in order to be more acceptable to others who find them weird; and c) I have lost all patience for "friends" who turn out to be life-sucking psychos. And frankly, that narrows down the field of potential friends. A lot. But I no longer have the patience for having friends just for the sake of having bodies in my life (and I mean that totally platonically) -- I am actually extremely good at socializing, only to find the friends I've recruited either bore me, or can't deal with the full truth about who I am, or ... are life-sucking psychos. And so I've said the hell with that.

I do have true friends--a small number, who have passed the three criteria above. A number of them are long distance/internet friends, which sucks when you want someone physically there to hang out or go for drinks or etc. And that does lead to attacks of 3am lonelies. But like I said, having done it the other way, the occasional 3am lonely-attack is IMO a small price to pay for having a much smaller, but much more real, social circle.

Meanwhile--on the job etc. front, some bad news and some good news. The bad news (which I might have muttered about already--I'm losing track of who I've whined to, where): the additional part-time job I thought I had landed, did not work out; got paid for 3 days and was given an admittedly polite but final "sorry, no thanks." The good news is that a) blessing-in-disguise: the job really was way too physically demanding; and b) I now have the time and energy schedule for what looks like it will be a wonderful plan B: I'm going back to school again.

Just got on the computer in the past couple of days and got registered for my local community college, taking courses in Intro to Multimedia ... and Japanese.

Not sure if I'll weasel into any financial aid at this last date, but even with the cost of (student-priced) software, this is going to be way cheaper than what I'd been paying for individual health insurance. Oh yeah--community college enrollment comes with access to their health services. Bingo. Health coverage--plus I get an education and a software discount. And if I actually do eventually score some financial aid (and I probably will, even in these economic times--my income last year was well below the official poverty line), I will be in great shape. Score!
Lupin fanfic work-in-progress: "Fun and Thieving in Las Vegas"
http://www.mizducky.com/churchofwhoopie/2008/08/fun-and-thievin.html

HyperInSugar

• [Member]
  • Dance like there
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2009, 01:38:19 pm »
Re: Loneliness -- one of the weird freedoms I discovered when I passed my half-century mark on the planet was the acceptance of the fact that my problems making friends was exacerbated by the fact that a) I'm really damn picky--even if a person is nice and friendly, if they're really conventional and/or lacking brains, I get bored with 'em; and b) I just don't feel like toning down any of my eccentricities any more in order to be more acceptable to others who find them weird; and c) I have lost all patience for "friends" who turn out to be life-sucking psychos. And frankly, that narrows down the field of potential friends. A lot. But I no longer have the patience for having friends just for the sake of having bodies in my life (and I mean that totally platonically) -- I am actually extremely good at socializing, only to find the friends I've recruited either bore me, or can't deal with the full truth about who I am, or ... are life-sucking psychos. And so I've said the hell with that.

I do have true friends--a small number, who have passed the three criteria above. A number of them are long distance/internet friends, which sucks when you want someone physically there to hang out or go for drinks or etc. And that does lead to attacks of 3am lonelies. But like I said, having done it the other way, the occasional 3am lonely-attack is IMO a small price to pay for having a much smaller, but much more real, social circle.

Meanwhile--on the job etc. front, some bad news and some good news. The bad news (which I might have muttered about already--I'm losing track of who I've whined to, where): the additional part-time job I thought I had landed, did not work out; got paid for 3 days and was given an admittedly polite but final "sorry, no thanks." The good news is that a) blessing-in-disguise: the job really was way too physically demanding; and b) I now have the time and energy schedule for what looks like it will be a wonderful plan B: I'm going back to school again.

Just got on the computer in the past couple of days and got registered for my local community college, taking courses in Intro to Multimedia ... and Japanese.

Not sure if I'll weasel into any financial aid at this last date, but even with the cost of (student-priced) software, this is going to be way cheaper than what I'd been paying for individual health insurance. Oh yeah--community college enrollment comes with access to their health services. Bingo. Health coverage--plus I get an education and a software discount. And if I actually do eventually score some financial aid (and I probably will, even in these economic times--my income last year was well below the official poverty line), I will be in great shape. Score!

You know, in my opinion I think it feels so well when you go ahead and do something that you have been planning for a long time ago. Things that seemed to be so far away, at the same time are closer than you think. I hope you have all the good luck possible with your new step on life!
Why I am here:

-To be a dAmn addict
-To herd llamas