Poll

Which Dub used Anime Logo do you prefer?

The Gold Bar
11 (73.3%)
Geneon's Logo
4 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Gold Bar vs. Geneon Logo  (Read 6328 times)

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
Gold Bar vs. Geneon Logo
« on: April 07, 2012, 02:11:34 am »
Personally I've always liked TMS' international Gold Bar logo. To me it's very sleek and gives a similar feel to the Japanese logo. While Geneon's brings back some fun memories, it ultimately doesn't fit with every facet of the franchise.

RedTail

Re: Gold Bar vs. Geneon Logo
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 10:19:38 am »
You're in a poll-happy mood lately... Anyway, they both suck.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 11:03:22 am »
To be fair, his poll about watching fansubs was mine - I just edited his post about having trouble watching the subs to include the poll.

If I had to choose between those two alone, the Gold Bar wins every time.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 11:04:04 am by Lupin the Third »
-R. Nelson

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 01:04:12 pm »
TOKYOPOP's manga logo was always my favorite (I'm not sure why, though. It does seem kinda bland), but as far as the anime goes, I do prefer the gold bar. Geneon's logo is nostalgic for me, but not as fitting.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 01:04:57 pm by DrFurball »
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

RedTail

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 01:49:19 pm »
To be fair, his poll about watching fansubs was mine - I just edited his post about having trouble watching the subs to include the poll.

If I had to choose between those two alone, the Gold Bar wins every time.

Man, you oughta trademark those three words, Reed. Every reply I've gotten from you recently has had 'em. Just let me kick the little guy in peace, will ya?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 01:50:07 pm by RedTail »

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 03:29:23 pm »
I know it's strange to pick the Geneon/Pioneer logo over the Gold Bar, but I'd actually rather see the Geneon logo on more of the Lupin releases than the Gold Bar. Actually, I'd rather see it half and half.

I can imagine Island of Assassins with it's darker, dramatic storyline having the Gold Bar, along with Voyage to Danger, Missed by a Dollar, and Dead or Alive. But all of the late 80s early 90s specials, including Mamo (of course), the live action movie from 74, Pursuit of Harimao's Treasure, Dragon of Doom, and a lot of the more recent specials actually feel more deserving of a more comedic and epic logo like Geneon's rather than just a gold name plate.

I'm not really all that zealous about pushing this opinion, this is just how I passingly feel about it. The gold bar has been fine on everything it has been printed on, but to see the other logo on select titles just seems more fitting.

Although, I do think some of the other Lupin titles wouldn't look too bad sporting the Cagliostro knife stabbing a note logo. That's been on more than a few things in Japan if I'm not mistaken.

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 01:01:42 am »
You're in a poll-happy mood lately... Anyway, they both suck.
I guess I always like to be able to look at the numbers for what people think in regards to a topic. So I try to make a poll applicable.

RedTail

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 01:29:49 am »
I only commented because this one is really trivial. How much debate of any substance can you have on this topic? Furthermore, we're only given two choices, one of which is never coming back. What's the point? Just for fun though, I'll humor you and expand on my opinion...

Yes, both suck, but the gold bar is slightly better. It's a lot less flamboyant and tacky, but not at all imaginative.

There. Two sentences capture exactly how I feel about this. Nothing more needs to be said.

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 12:06:09 pm »
What's the point?
Just for fun though
^This

GodKill123

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 02:14:46 pm »
I never liked the Gold Bar logo. It just doesn't seem Lupin to me and I honestly find that a little bland.

The Geneon logo is also mixed, but I guess it can work. Geneon was trying to make Lupin a "groovy 70s" show when they were dubbing it. But still, I purfer this version over the gold bars.

aalong64

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 11:55:27 pm »
I'm really nostalgic for the Geneon dub and release of the series, even though it was far from perfect. The logo screams "FUN!" even if it does seem a little too 70s-y. It's certainly much more interesting to me than the Gold Bar logo, which is about as boring as you can get... which does make it a good match for the specials though! Actually, that may be why I don't like it: because I associate it with those lame 90s specials Funimation put out.

I'm curious why no English distributor has ever tried doing what Animeigo did with Urusei Yatsura, and done an English version of the classic bullet logo:

It can look pretty nice, and create continuity between the different region's versions of the series.
Original:

Animeigo version:

If the Japanese version already has a recognizable logo, why mess with a good thing?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 10:42:19 am by aalong64 »

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 08:18:05 pm »
It would certainly be interesting. Hell the "i" in "Lupin" would make a great place for the bullet to go.

aalong64

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 10:36:12 pm »
Here's a sample I just whipped together.. It occured to me after I finished it that I should've just used the "III" symbol instead of actually writing "The 3rd"... Oh well.

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 11:11:25 pm »
Exactly. Something like that would work very well. Albiet, like you mentioned, with the "III".

Psycho_Kenshin

• Part of the Gang
  • Fujiko is super hot, Lupin is uber cool
    • My profile on MyAnimeList.net (including Lupin reviews!)
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 04:53:48 am »
Definitely looking cool, it'd be excellent to see the bullet logo used in English releases.

As for the Gold Bar versus Geneon logo, I go gold bar all the way. I remember when they first unveiled that Geneon Lupin logo, I thought it looked terrible. The gradient fill on the orange randomly darker and brighter, the odd placement of the letters, just heinous. Now years later, I don't feel as strongly on it but... still hideous I'd say.

The gold bar, I don't mind it at all. It's on the upcoming TV release, and it still looks pretty good. Doesn't blow me away, but it's solid, I give it a 7.5 out of 10.

I do wonder why they go for "Lupin the 3rd" instead of "Lupin III" on the materials, I mean Armitage III was an anime released here that went for that. Not sure why they shy away from it, when Lupin III is still how he's usually referred to in writing, on wikipedia and whatnot. Granted, Streamline and Animeigo did use the "III".
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 04:58:58 am by Psycho_Kenshin »