Author Topic: I'm Getting Too Old For This  (Read 4264 times)

ehh123

• Part of the Gang
I'm Getting Too Old For This
« on: April 09, 2012, 04:03:53 pm »
When did the original voice cast begin to show their age? I hear complaints on how the characters sounded old in the later TV specials.

penguintruth

• Part of the Gang
Re: I'm Getting Too Old For This
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 04:32:24 pm »
I began to notice it (especially with Fujiko) with Sweet Lost Night.

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 10:27:24 pm »
This is when I began to notice:

Zenigata: 2007 Special (Elusiveness of the Fog)

Goemon: 2007 Special as well.

Jigen: Honestly, the first time I ever heard him sound old was in the most recent thing. "Lupin Family Reunion", the Master File OVA. But that could be due to the fact that it was a short little feature. Perhaps not a ton of effort was put in. We'll see how he sounds this week in the new series though.

Fujiko: In all honesty, I don't think she sounds old. I know people have said it, but I just don't hear it.

GodKill123

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 12:50:33 pm »
Kanichi Kurita voice sounds the same. He's not as old as the rest of the cast.

Goro Naya voice showed his age, and badly. I believe he have lung cancer now.

I didn't see a lot of voice aging with Makio Inoue.  I started to notice in the 2007 special. It's not to bad, but you can still see his aging.

Kiyoshi Kobayashi is not too bad too. With the latest special that have been coming out I notice that he sound a little different from the first Tv series.

Mami Koyama I didn't notice. She still has that lustful voice that can give Fujiko her character. I can't imagine how she sounds outside her character.

veggie 11

• Part of the Gang
    • My blogs
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 01:09:26 pm »
Interesting... I would say:

Zenigata : Elusiveness of the fog (but a lot of moments he sound really old in the Special 2006)

Fujiko : I could say Sweet Lost Night, but it wasn't she sound especially ''old''. But not so as in the earlier anime.

Goemon : I will say the Special Conan vs Lupin. I didn't find he sound ''old'' in Elusiveness of the Fog and Sweet Lost Night.

Jigen : Chi no Ekuien - Eternal Mermaid. That was the first time I said : ''Wow, Jigen seems really old now''. Althought Jigen had always a especially older voice than others. And in the new OVA, this sensation became confirmed.

Lupin : I didn't notice it.

But even they sound older in the last years, I didn't think they were bad. Except Zenigata, I prefer the Italian dub for Sweet Lost Night, he has a more dynamic voice. In The Last Job, it was really sad to hear poor Naya going to try to say the few lines he had  :'(
But why Miyazaki was so obsessed to draw this horrible fringle to Jigen in EVERY Lupin anime he did?
-----------------------------------------
I decided to strike for the recognition of Jigen, Goemon and Fujiko's sacrifice in The Castle of Cagliostro

SlackerWriter

• Stoic and Esoteric
  • Part of the Gang
  • There was a fish... in the percolator
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 09:55:55 am »
If only we had Goro Naya deliver the famous Danny Glover line from Lethal Weapon.

fantasticmrfox

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 04:01:47 am »
I'm going to sound like a dick for this, but the first time some of the characters started sounding old to me was some of the later Pink series episodes. They just plain started to sound like they needed a break. That said after the Fuma clan OVA they all sounded back on track, but i remember thinking while watching somewhere around 44 "wow, they've been doing this for over 15 years at a near non stop pace)

When they started to show their age? Well lupin never does, pops started to around GVR for me, where he straddled a fine line between old cop and too old to be doing this, jigen around the detective conan special(perhaps it was because he really contrasted conan's voice there but it REALLY hit me) Fujiko just stays sexy all the time, and goemon i noticed during angel's tactics.

RedTail

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 11:16:53 am »
I'm going to sound like a dick for this, but the first time some of the characters started sounding old to me was some of the later Pink series episodes. They just plain started to sound like they needed a break. That said after the Fuma clan OVA they all sounded back on track, but i remember thinking while watching somewhere around 44 "wow, they've been doing this for over 15 years at a near non stop pace)

When they started to show their age? Well lupin never does, pops started to around GVR for me, where he straddled a fine line between old cop and too old to be doing this, jigen around the detective conan special(perhaps it was because he really contrasted conan's voice there but it REALLY hit me) Fujiko just stays sexy all the time, and goemon i noticed during angel's tactics.

The cast was totally replaced for Fuma Conspiracy...

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 12:21:26 pm »

Fuma Clan was still a time before the cast started actually getting replaced. I think that new cast was chosen because a new company was doing the animation, it was a surprise project or something like that, and Monkey Punch just didn't ask Yamada and Goro and the others to do the film. It didn't mean they were getting old, they still sounded great all throughout the 80s and early 90s. So I guess with Fuma, they really did get their break. lol
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 12:22:37 pm by FilmmakerJ »

fantasticmrfox

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 02:19:24 pm »

i know that. i'm saying after that they sounded rejuvenated because of the break

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
    • Not A Hoax! Not A Dream! (my blog)
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 07:05:25 pm »
Lupin: Still sounds fine to me.

Jigen: Became very apparent just last year, but it had been growing since around 2004 or so. He's still the best actor in the group, though, and I'm thrilled they retained him.

Goemon: Hard to say when he peaked since he speaks so little, but I think it was "Angel's Tactics" (2005) where I really began to notice his age.

Fujiko: 2004's "Stolen Lupin" was when I first started to think she sounded like "Grandma Fujiko".

Zenigata: He started to decline before the others... I'd say around 2001 or so? But even though he sounded more and more ancient as the decade went on,he never stopped delivering a fine effort. But I think it was around 2008 or '09 when I began thinking he should retire. But that opinion may have been influencedby the knowledge of his throat cancer, so it's hard to give an honest assessment.

Dots Salchow

• Actually Dots Salchow
  • Part of the Gang
  • That's Dots to you!
    • Tumblr blog
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 09:05:53 am »
For Lupin, i'm gonna have to split my opinion for both seiyuu. I think Yasuo Yamada's performance didn't change a lot, though in the first series, he sounded a bit more in control; from the second series onwards, there was a bit more variety in his voice. However, in Voyage To Danger, i could definitely hear a negative change, and Dragon of Doom probably contained his weakest performance yet. Of course, this was at the time that Yamada suffered from declining health, so i can excuse this.
As for Kan'ichi Kurita, i don't think he ever really started sounding old. Sure, he didn't quite sound like Lupin the first time around and still had to find the right chord, but after that, he's stayed quite the same.

Jigen's seiyuu has always sounded bad-ass, no matter his seiyuu's age. Though if you compare his performance in the more recent specials to that of the classic TV anime, it does sound slightly different. His seiyuu has been around for the longest time and i respect that. Replacing him would be extremely difficult, but not necessarily impossible.

Makio Inoue's Goemon is a whole 'nother story. I think that around The Columbus Files (or later), his voice already started to wear on.

I thought Eiko Masuyama's Fujiko started sounding old around Alcatraz Connection. Her voice seemed a little strained when she either complained or panicked and sounded more like a tired housewife.

As for Goro Naya's Zenigata, i'm gonna have to say that Seven Days Rhapsody was when it started going downhill. I could definitely hear the rasp in his voice weakened after all those years. I respect his performance, but it's a good thing he was replaced on time.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 08:00:47 am by geckogirl191 »
Often caught but never held for long, Lupin III brought the gentleman-thief into this century with his hi-tech antics and old-world charm.
~Helen McCarthy, 500 Manga Heroes & Villains

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 12:59:28 am »
Fuma Clan was still a time before the cast started actually getting replaced. I think that new cast was chosen because a new company was doing the animation, it was a surprise project or something like that, and Monkey Punch just didn't ask Yamada and Goro and the others to do the film. It didn't mean they were getting old, they still sounded great all throughout the 80s and early 90s. So I guess with Fuma, they really did get their break. lol
Actually, because Fuma was putting a lot of budget into the animation, they skimped out on the budget for actors and music. Thus they hired cheaper Seiyuu and music composer(s). Rumor has always had it that Yamada was insanely pissed, but recent developments have come to show that Yamada actually told Toshio Furukawa they were auditioning for Lupin and suggested to him that he audition. Furukawa went on to get the role of Lupin for the '87 OVA.

SlackerWriter

• Stoic and Esoteric
  • Part of the Gang
  • There was a fish... in the percolator
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 06:51:15 am »

It's funny you say that, I was watching the 97 special recently and Goro Naya sounded to me like, "wow, he's really getting old"