Author Topic: Episode 3: "The Lady and the Samurai" Official Thread  (Read 34834 times)

RedDoodle

• [Member]
  • Bring me some HAMBEARGUUUEARSSS
    • Art stuff
Re: Episode 3: "The Lady and the Samurai" Official Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2012, 12:55:08 am »
It was fine in a way for the kids to be there because it kicked in a very important part of Fujiko's character:her own morality.

I fully agree - it humanized her quite a bit. 

fdave

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2012, 02:17:08 am »
A hungarian fansub team made the first two episode with hungarian subtitle!  ::)
http://animeaddicts.hu/project.php?id.586

A wait momentan for the 3rd episode!  :)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2012, 03:44:23 am »
I appreciate how it developed Fujiko, but it was a wasted opportunity to show a darker side of Goemon. But I guess they're never gonna do that, because it'd piss off all the fangirls. After all, no one liked Rurouni Kenshin as much when they went into his sordid background.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 03:46:56 am by GATSU »

Psycho_Kenshin

• Part of the Gang
  • Fujiko is super hot, Lupin is uber cool
    • My profile on MyAnimeList.net (including Lupin reviews!)
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2012, 03:48:33 am »
i also found it was GREAT to have an episode where we focused on the interactions between two characters who play one part(the catalyst normally for fujiko, and the trump card/plot wrapper for goemon)

Interesting, but in many episodes of course the whole gang operates on a plan from Lupin, so I'm not sure if those are really their usual roles. And granted Goemon usually gets a moment to shine kicking ass near the end of specials, but then again pretty much everybody does, so I'm not sure if he's a plot wrapper. And while Fujiko does often come to Lupin with a scheme or idea to initiate the plot, I wouldn't say she does it more often than not such that it's her usual role.

Just sayin', kinda nitpicking I know.

I appreciate how it developed Fujiko, but it was a wasted opportunity to show a darker side of Goemon. But I guess they're never gonna do that, because it'd piss off all the fangirls. After all, no one liked Rurouni Kenshin as much when they went into his sordid background.

I actually haven't met one Kenshin fan who didn't like that. Pretty much that's one thing just about everybody finds compelling and awesome I've found. Then again, this is Psycho_Kenshin talking here.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 03:50:24 am by Psycho_Kenshin »

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2012, 04:43:59 am »
I just saw Episode 3 since it just got released on FUNimation this morning. Here are my thoughts:

I found the story to be quite appropriate to Goemon's introduction. I believe he has been introduced as the assassin type before in a few manga stories (I haven't read enough of the manga to be certain). Didn't he first get hired in the manga to kill Lupin? Having the story take place in a European country made the show continue to stick to it's routes and be an international series just like most of the previous. Fujiko was doing what she has done a few times before, play a governess, or a caretaker; and I did think that was a clever way to have her meet Goemon, in a disguise; and then he figures out her true identity by the end. Of course we didn't need the boob shot, but I think we could sense that coming considering Goemon just Loooooves to cut people's clothes off, right?  ::)

I honestly wasn't expecting Goemon to be hard edged because Jigen was already like that. And to make a group of main characters who will eventually team up together function properly, they each need a different personality. Kind of a no-brainer. So I couldn't honestly see both Jigen and Goemon having a dislike or a distrust or a disinterest in women. One had to have a bad past with women, or at least one woman. And the other had to have a soft spot for women (and Goemon even kept using the word "soft"). That is his one vice, he can't not acknowledge and/or appreciate females, especially one's that he gets to know well. Such as that one woman from "Liberty Crisis," or his fiance from "Fuma Clan" and didn't he have a small crush on that warrior girl from his past in "Dragon of Doom"? What they did with him seemed quite appropriate. His stoic manner under most circumstances; and his slight embarrassment, blushing cheeks, and possible clumsiness when he is around most females.

I don't know if I can say much else about the episode.  :-\ I guess I liked what the composer did with the traditional Japanese music for whenever Goemon was on screen. I liked Fujiko's design as well.

OH, and of course now we have a better idea about what's going on with the OP. It seems that it is actually supposed to be sketchy and limited in it's animation to seem more like a living manga drawing as opposed to fluid animation. They added more textures to things that were previously straight imported images with a tint added to them. Certain camera effects were improved. Animation on those flowers at the end were smoother.
The only problem I had was when Fujiko kisses herself at the end, they put sooooo much black pastel over it that you can barely see it anymore (and some of you might be saying "good, I don't need to see that."). Well it was there for a reason, and I just don't see what it should be in there now if it just looks like a bunch of moving scribbles. It is that hard to see.  >:(

I don't like the Ending Sequence though. And most of us seem to be a little worried about what the premature Fujiko images are foreshadowing. I am just as concerned. I have no interest in seeing raped Fujiko, or anything even remotely related. But if you think about it, her character's motivations or life choices to do what she does could stem from that. If you guys don't agree then that's totally fine, I'm not an expert on female or male psychology by any means. But I just feel like I've seen similar character motivations in other shows and media based on similar circumstances. So we may just see something to that effect around episode 10. Who knows.

FilmmakerJ out.

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2012, 06:02:33 pm »
Derailing away from the current topic going on in this topic I have to (finally) say that I really found the ending of the episode interesting. The entire concept of Goemon slicing off her clothes and NOT looking away and actually saying she was "beautiful". Then thinking that she's his girlfriend after a kiss was entirely OOC for Goemon. It was completely unlike the Goemon that I know. However I found it to be a wonderful little turn of events because I feel that it is depicting a younger and more naive Goemon. While down the road Goemon becomes a character who respects the female body so much that he would not dare look at a naked woman. Right now he is younger and desires to look. Perhaps it is this aspect of a younger Goemon that pushes him to seek further spiritual enlightenment and purge himself of "impure thoughts" down the road.

penguintruth

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2012, 06:16:07 pm »
He did eventually look away, and being naive about women isn't exactly OoC for Goemon.

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2012, 06:20:43 pm »
and being naive about women isn't exactly OoC for Goemon.
But that statement at the end was Goemon's nativity to the umpteenth degree. Although I will admit, I'd always thought Fujiko and Goemon made a cute couple ever since that Red Jacket Episode where they posed as one, lol.

fantasticmrfox

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2012, 08:24:34 pm »
But that statement at the end was Goemon's nativity to the umpteenth degree. Although I will admit, I'd always thought Fujiko and Goemon made a cute couple ever since that Red Jacket Episode where they posed as one, lol.

I disagree. If it IS a younger Goemon, then it fits his first two green jacket appearances perfectly.

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2012, 08:27:23 pm »

I disagree. If it IS a younger Goemon, then it fits his first two green jacket appearances perfectly.
Wouldn't that just further prove my theory about younger Goemon being like this? Keep in mind I wasn't trying to say that Goemon NEVER acted like this. Rather it's very rare and that in such a long running franchise that typically depicts him the opposite of this, it was OOC.

MGFanJay

• Part of the Gang
  • Oh yeah...
    • Hardocre Gamer Magzine - free download
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2012, 01:17:06 am »
Goemon was such a badass in this - I loved it. The nudity at the end was a bit of a surprise, but actually meant something since there was nine outside of the OP. The creators showed by not just throwing it around that they can really create a good dramatic story without relying on tits to keep viewers interested.

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2012, 08:50:42 am »
I'm back !

I recently watched the episode and loved it ! The scenario although
being quite classic, was well handled and felt a bit like some old anime with heros
from the nineteenth century.

It's also a good thing to see that Fujiko can have some emotions.
Goemon was like I wanted to see him: Naive, Gifted and Lonely wich is not so
far from the manga. He's always been the most light hearted of the group.

Anyway, good third episode, can't wait for the next !  ;D
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
-R. Nelson

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2012, 01:00:30 am »
Luis Cruz has his Episode 3 review up: http://www.fandompost.com/2012/04/21/lupin-the-third-the-woman-called-fujiko-mine-episode-03-anime-review/
I love how he summarized Goemon in the end. His words were perfect.

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2012, 03:42:33 pm »
Y'know, I was thinking about this episode earlier, and I noticed that a big theme of it is relationships. For example, Fujiko's relationship with the kids turns out to be genuine and the relationship the kids have with their grandfather is what deters Goemon from assassinating him (also, he's their "Samurai Friendo"). Also, Goemon's lonliness is touched on, and he thinks Fujiko's his girlfriend by the end of it.

Just a thought.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)