Author Topic: FUNimation licenses "The Woman Called Fujiko Mine" (BD+DVD pack out Aug 20,'13)  (Read 106119 times)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Yamamoto was saying there'd be "corrections, fixes, and retakes" for the Japanese edition. So I'm hoping that means new footage.

FilmmakerJ

They finally have time to finish all of the after effects crap they half-assed in the first place because they started late.
Well maybe we can get an opening title sequence that is consistent and one that is actually visible. Cause if you saw the last few openings, they put such a big bright light over top of Fujiko making out with herself that you can't see it. I know that sounds like a weird complaint, but I liked the opening version they had half way through. Not too little, not too much. In the end they added to many extra details that made it hard to watch.

As for the show itself, I think some of the CGI effects, especially those planes in that one Cuba episode, should be redone so that the sketchy shading doesn't look so fake all tacked onto the texture map. It just looks awkward.

I also hope that some extra color work can be done because I think certain episodes were way too dark, and a lot of it was very desaturated; which would help in the clarity department if they boosted the vibrancy up a bit.

I know I'm being nit-picky. It was okay the way it was, but you can tell from beginning to end on that simulcast, they were not getting everything they wanted to get done, done. So now they have a chance to fix what they missed. I'm hoping it moves my initial rating up from a 7/10 to an 8/10. I doubt it, but that's my hope. :P

SlackerWriter

• Stoic and Esoteric
  • Part of the Gang
  • There was a fish... in the percolator
Yamamoto was saying there'd be "corrections, fixes, and retakes" for the Japanese edition. So I'm hoping that means new footage.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 08:17:56 am by SlackerWriter »

FlippytheMaster

• Part of the Gang
I don't suppose anyone's gotten any recent news as to WHEN it's coming out and with what specifications? It seems like FUNimation is taking a while, and I'm afraid they're not striking while the iron's hot, as it were. Don't want people to have already lost interest by the time they get the DVD's or Blu Rays out!

LadyLupin

• Part of the Gang
  • Lady Lupin Sansei
I don't think so. Sonny said he recently recorded for a new show, but he didn't specify what.

victorystar

• Part of the Gang
  • I happen to be very knowledgeable at this!
I don't suppose anyone's gotten any recent news as to WHEN it's coming out and with what specifications? It seems like FUNimation is taking a while, and I'm afraid they're not striking while the iron's hot, as it were. Don't want people to have already lost interest by the time they get the DVD's or Blu Rays out!

I think I said this earlier in the thread but I don't think they're going to release the English release of this for another year or so, maybe Q2 next year at the least.

They have to make their money back with the Japanese release first, Japanese DVD's are really expensive compared to American releases and if they released it like just 6 months after it came to Japan people would just reverse import the American one keeping the Japanese distributors from making money from those people.

It'll come, you just have to be patient.

FlippytheMaster

• Part of the Gang

I think I said this earlier in the thread but I don't think they're going to release the English release of this for another year or so, maybe Q2 next year at the least.

They have to make their money back with the Japanese release first, Japanese DVD's are really expensive compared to American releases and if they released it like just 6 months after it came to Japan people would just reverse import the American one keeping the Japanese distributors from making money from those people.

It'll come, you just have to be patient.
Maybe people would stop reverse importing things if they didn't make their discs so ridiculously expensive... but how Japanese companies are ineffectually run is another topic, I suppose.
So you think it'll be Q2 next year, really? Wow. That really does seem like they're just leaving money on the table. Guess I'll just have to grin and bear it.
Harrumph.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
At 64:54 of the ANNCast, they talk about how they're currently working on the dub, and planning a "mid-year" release for the set.

Edit: Also, at 84:50, they say they might be interested in being in the Lupin business again, if Fujiko sells. But only if we get more Lupin adaptations like Fujiko.  :(
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 07:50:26 am by GATSU »

Akai Shuichi

• Shottogun
  • Part of the Gang
They also said there is around a 5% chance of more Detective Conan. Which probably makes it a slight possibility that we could get Lupin vs Conan (as they've stated before the Conan movies sell good). I honestly think they should take another shot at some of the specials because they are much bigger than they were back when they licensed the old ones and I think they have a lot more marketing power now.

FilmmakerJ

They also said there is around a 5% chance of more Detective Conan. Which probably makes it a slight possibility that we could get Lupin vs Conan (as they've stated before the Conan movies sell good). I honestly think they should take another shot at some of the specials because they are much bigger than they were back when they licensed the old ones and I think they have a lot more marketing power now.

I would be excited for a bit more Conan.

Even though 550 episodes is over-doing it, and I'm sure after a while the newest episodes will seem like torture because nothing has advanced in the over-arching plot, I would still enjoy a bit more than 150 episodes. Besides, they should dub the rest of the films, cause I would think a few more of them might be decent.

"Lupin vs Conan" though, is unnecessary to license. It was a waste of time when I saw the subtitled version. Just act like it didn't exist. There was no battle of whits, there was no major heist, and a lot of the story was dominated by a Princess and the Pauper tale. It is NOT what a Lupin Vs Conan movie should be.

Akai Shuichi

• Shottogun
  • Part of the Gang
Yea, but the whole idea of the crossover is what would make it sell, I'd think.

And yea, I've seen all of Conan up until the past 10 episodes or so. It becomes torture beyond your imagination. I think if they would license more maybe they should only license the plot-relevant episodes along with the kaitou kid crossover ones. Detective Boys is a no-no. The most recent films are quite good, actually every film is at least slightly enjoyable except for Movie 11. Movie 11 doesn't need to exist.

FlippytheMaster

• Part of the Gang
Well, I doubt that we'll get more Conan. Hate to be Debby Downer, but dem's de breaks. I'd love it, but I doubt it's even 5%. Think about how cost-prohibitive it'd be--500+ episodes! Also, I don't think the movies sold well--maybe that's a relative term, but they said in the interview that they "tried" with the movies twice. They clearly didn't get the results they were looking for.
Also, selling scattered episodes would be awful and confusing and would do more harm than good.

Sigh.
At least we have the manga, right?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 11:19:26 pm by FlippytheMaster »

penguintruth

• Part of the Gang
At 64:54 of the ANNCast, they talk about how they're currently working on the dub, and planning a "mid-year" release for the set.

My question, by the way.

Hey, I tried. Was really disappointed. The announced it several months ago. They need to get on this.

FilmmakerJ

Well, I doubt that we'll get more Conan. Hate to be Debby Downer, but dem's de breaks. I'd love it, but I doubt it's even 5%. Think about how cost-prohibitive it'd be--500+ episodes! Also, I don't think the movies sold well--maybe that's a relative term, but they said in the interview that they "tried" with the movies twice. They clearly didn't get the results they were looking for.
Also, selling scattered episodes would be awful and confusing and would do more harm than good.

Sigh.
At least we have the manga, right?

Well the point is, they Don't HAVE to license the other 500+ episodes. Who in the world would WANT to license all of those. They already licensed the episodes we have in English, so what's the harm in licensing another 50 to 100 of them? They're not bad at all. I've heard a lot of people would be psyched to get more episodes rather than movies because after movie 2, the quality starts to sink, and it's gradual in a very obvious linear way for the other 4. The 1st and 2nd had good hooks with their dark and heavy story lines. I won't doubt that the 3rd one was also fairly interesting with the Phantom Thief kid involved, playing Jimmy for a moment to throw Rachel off of the scent that Conan is actually Jimmy. But after that, they're not nearly as solid or as exciting as the first 2. I don't even think they have the same budget either, they don't look as good. Also, after season 5, the production of the episodes starts to shift from traditional cel, ink and paint, and top-down camera animation to full-digital coloring and editing: which ends up making the show look more sterile and dull. It's only in recent years with shows like FMAB and Soul Eater that the modern digital painting and SFX process has made shows look great. Back at the turn of the century a lot of shows looked odd when they went through this transition; some were okay, some were ruined because the inhereant qualities were lost and could not be easily replaced with computer standards. So I'd rather not have too many episodes licensed that are done in the modern digital process because they just don't feel the same as the older ones for this particular series. I'm not sure if there are enough episodes in the 6th season before this full change occurs, because there's already an episode that is done digitally in the 5th.

Anyways I don't think it'd hurt FUNimation to at least license a season 6 for the fans who'd like a bit more. Any real fans should be able to tell the episodes degrade in quality as the show goes on too long, so I don't think they'd personally want much more than a few extra seasons. I know you can see a lot of the episodes subtitled somewhere, but I LOVE the FUNi voice actors, and I love the presentation by FUNimation for the last 2 releases of the sets. So it would be awesome if they could bring us just a tad more and maybe a few other Lupin releases like the Mankatsu project, that might be more up their alley since it's different than all the other Lupin related material, and it's more recent.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
penguin: Hey, the longer the wait, the better it'll help increase demand for Discotek's Lupin stuff. Well, at least, ideally.