Author Topic: Rose of Versailles picked up by Right Stuf and Viki  (Read 14967 times)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Rose of Versailles picked up by Right Stuf and Viki
« on: September 12, 2012, 03:07:55 pm »
Story. Now I can finally get some of those Dezaki in-jokes in other anime.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 03:08:06 pm by GATSU »

FilmmakerJ

Re: Rose of Versailles picked up by Right Stuf and Viki
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 10:11:16 pm »
What is "Rose of Versailles"?

I don't tend to keep up on Japan-only animes that haven't been imported yet.

victorystar

• Part of the Gang
  • I happen to be very knowledgeable at this!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 10:58:47 pm »
Remember Lady Oscar from episode 101 of Red Jacket? This is where she came from. This was also one of the anime that helped pioneer the shoujo genre as a whole.

Anyways I'm so glad to here this was picked up, this is one of my all time favorite anime and I'm glad to finally be able to obtain it legally.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 07:14:29 am by victorystar »

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 11:43:36 pm »
Not to mention that it's a show which no doubt influenced the direction of Fujiko. [Oscar, anyone?] Plus, it's the main template for Utena.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 08:38:42 am »
Remember Lady Oscar from episode 101 of Red Jacket? This is where she came from. This was also one of the anime that helped pioneer the shoujo genre as a whole.

Anyways I'm so glad to here this was picked up, this is one of my all time favorite anime and I'm glad to finally be able to obtain it legally.

I do not, actually. I haven't seen any episodes past what ever got dubbed, which was like episode 75 or something, right? I don't tend to scour the internet for fan-dubs or streams anymore, and I barely did in the first place. I only managed to check out Liberty Crisis, Hemingway Papers, Lupin VS Conan, and a chunk of Alcatraz Connection before I called it quits with unofficial streams.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 08:45:33 am »
From the pictures, it does look like a gorgeous show.

victorystar

• Part of the Gang
  • I happen to be very knowledgeable at this!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 11:47:14 am »
I do not, actually. I haven't seen any episodes past what ever got dubbed, which was like episode 75 or something, right?

Well you missed out on a good episode then.  Really fun crossover too.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
-R. Nelson

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 05:29:43 pm »
The crossover episode is actually on Youtube, but dubbed in italian.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 12:57:55 am »
The crossover episode is actually on Youtube, but dubbed in italian.

So wait, it's an official crossover, with the actual characters together; or is it just a parody with similar characters referencing "Rose...?"

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 02:42:55 am »
FJ: Read the post I linked to like two posts before yours.
-R. Nelson

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 10:29:57 am »
FJ: Read the post I linked to like two posts before yours.

Okay (read it), so does the "Rose of Versaille" actually take place in the 1700s, or does it take place in the 1970s when Lupin is supposed to? Because Lupin can't be back in the 1700s, he's not a time traveler. Is it supposed to be another Cagliostro like thing where the Palace of Versaille is in this little chunk of land that only looks like it's stuck in the 1700s, when really everyone has just stayed traditional for so long?

Mr.Lupin

• Old-school Superfan
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 12:00:59 pm »
Background on this manga-ka , Ryoko Ikeda was the queen of shoujo until a scandal villified her name in Japan's society .

She went from being one of the top authors along with Osamu Tezuka , and one of the wealthiest manga artists, to ruin when it was discovered she had two husbands .  She deserves a place among manga pioneers but because of her social standing she is somewhat obscured.  Rose Of Versailles is the story of Oscar , Marie Antoinette's fictional royal guard , a woman raised to be a man , and the court intrigue , as Marie attempts to fit in society among the plotting of Madame Dubarry , and the ladies of the court .  It has a amazing soundtrack , and was made by the french into a feature film in the 90's .

Ikeda also did other historical fiction based manga shoujos , Orpheus Widow , and my fav. Catherine the Great.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 12:17:59 pm »
Like the post said, Oscar in the Lupin episode was actually a statue come to life. At the end of the episode, she snuggles up to this other statue and changes into statue form again.

At least, I assume it's "again," since I can't understand a lot of Japanese. But there's no "legit" time travel involved in any way.
-R. Nelson

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 12:28:25 pm »
Like the post said, Oscar in the Lupin episode was actually a statue come to life. At the end of the episode, she snuggles up to this other statue and changes into statue form again.

At least, I assume it's "again," since I can't understand a lot of Japanese. But there's no "legit" time travel involved in any way.

Well in any case, it's wonderful to learn some new trivia, and I will be checking out this series when Rightstuf releases it.

I did pick up their two releases of the OVAs and Movies for the original "Dirty Pair" earlier this year. And I'm hoping that they may try to do something with the discontinued Urusei Yatsura movies and OVAs as well. The series though, I'm not counting on, since it would be a grueling effort to repackage all of those episodes.