Author Topic: Japanese Blu-ray & DVDs Sales for Fujiko  (Read 14868 times)

Jackson_H

• Part of the Gang
    • BehindtheVoiceActors
Japanese Blu-ray & DVDs Sales for Fujiko
« on: September 25, 2012, 11:34:49 am »
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=496219

Blu-ray: 2,802
DVD: 1,404

Total First Week Sales = 4,206

Looks like it sold underwhelming numbers.

According to this article for a 12-13 episode show where they sell it across 6 volumes, each volume needs about 7,850 units to be profitable

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2012-03-07

Though I'm guessing Fujiko was a bit more expensive to make so the units needed to be sold might have to be higher PLUS it was a box set.

e.g. Fate/Zero Season 2's numbers is probably the expectation for a box set

Sales for past TV specials haven't been great IIRC so technically those aren't that profitable either.

Unless it's one of those cases where most of the money is made from TV ad revenue or from rentals (not every Japanese person wants to pay a lot of cash to own a series when they can rent it for much cheaper).

Whether TMS knew it would sell like this, who knows.

Maybe they're hoping it'll be a bigger hit in other countries and recoup any losses and start to make a little profit with licensing fees.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 11:38:30 am by Jackson_H »

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Re: Japanese Blu-ray & DVDs Sales for Fujiko
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 08:53:36 pm »
It could be a cold reception to the show itself. Or maybe there are still people who haven't seen it, given its timeslot, so they're waiting to hear about the word of mouth.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 09:01:50 pm »
Somebody should just put this quick and dirty review out:

"It was a solid 8/10 in design, 7/10 in story, and Lupin did some cool stuff here and there. It's worth $50, Tops."

victorystar

• Part of the Gang
  • I happen to be very knowledgeable at this!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 10:32:44 pm »
To be fair you're not going to get a 6 month old anime series for 50 dollars in Japan. Anywhere in Japan. I mean even decade old stuff like Bebop costs like 500 on Blu Ray so something brand new would be around the same range. It's just how it works around there.

I think 50 dollars would be a fair price range once it makes it here though.

Also while I'm sad the show is failing in sales it proved my theory and posts that people disliked the show in Japan and it wasn't just a troll thing even though a little of it was.

Hopefully we'll still get a new Lupin special this year despite this and it'll be a return to safe Lupin and save the franchise.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 10:46:44 pm »
To be fair you're not going to get a 6 month old anime series for 50 dollars in Japan. Anywhere in Japan. I mean even decade old stuff like Bebop costs like 500 on Blu Ray so something brand new would be around the same range. It's just how it works around there.

Also while I'm sad the show is failing in sales it proved my theory and posts that people disliked the show in Japan and it wasn't just a troll thing even though a little of it was.

Hopefully we'll still get a new Lupin special this year despite this and it'll be a return to safe Lupin and save the franchise.

So if all that is so outragiously expensive in Japan, then how do people like Konata from "Lucky Star" able to afford all of the freaking manga they have? Is paper just a hell of a lot cheaper than video based media? ???

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 02:57:15 am »
They allegedly recycle their paper. And the market is high enough for manga to push the costs down. Thanks, Frederik Schodt.

victorystar

• Part of the Gang
  • I happen to be very knowledgeable at this!
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 04:19:22 am »

So if all that is so outragiously expensive in Japan, then how do people like Konata from "Lucky Star" able to afford all of the freaking manga they have? Is paper just a hell of a lot cheaper than video based media? ???

Manga in Japan is much cheaper than it is here because of what Gatsu said, they recycle paper. Typical manga volumes only cost around 7 dollars there with prices of course varying for longer and shorter volumes.

I think the high prices for DVD's and Blu Ray's are mostly because Japan still works on the rental system format for most disc based media (like games and such also) and of course it's going to cost more to have rather than rent for a weekend. I don't know why they still do this but it works for them so I guess they're going to keep at it until people decide enough is enough.

Also Japan's cost of living is some of the highest in the world from what I've heard so that may help contribute to the high cost of the DVD's, Blu Rays, and Video Games.

penguintruth

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 11:15:48 pm »
People are too busy buying shows about guys who have sex with their (NOT BLOOD RELATED OF COURSE) sisters.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 12:04:35 am »
People are too busy buying shows about guys who have sex with their (NOT BLOOD RELATED OF COURSE) sisters.

Well that's just not right.

I'd prefer to watch "Panty and Stocking" and "Lucky Star," thank you very much. 8)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 11:39:03 pm »
victory: DVDs and BDs cost more in Japan, because they got scummy middlemen screwing over the talent while price-gouging the otaku, and pocketing the profit. [See also: what used to be-and still is, to some extent-the American recording industry.  8)] though sometimes, the higher price is justified. Fujiko is a risky investment, after all, since it's not going to attract a broader audience the same way a typical Lupin special would.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 11:39:21 pm by GATSU »

RobertTheGamer

• A Lupin fan from that land of Fosters and Bruces.
  • Part of the Gang
    • RobertTheGamer
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 11:24:03 am »
Well I always had the assumption that anime prices were so high in Japan, because they're a shame based society, hence piracy is a non-issue. So publishers can jack the price up to ridiculous levels. I can't believe Aniplex is using the same business model with their releases in the USA. Fortunately we'll never get Japanese prices here in Australia, since both our Blu-Ray and DVD region is different to Japan  8) .

I wouldn't be surprised if Fujiko Mine flopped, because it's vastly different to standard Lupin fare. The Japanese don't react well to change, why else do they keep reproducing the same stories over and over? For example, the first Berserk movie I saw recently in the cinema at Reel Anime, many shots were 1:1 replications of scenes from the anime and manga.
"A stranger, is just a friend you haven't exploited yet" - Bob Monkhouse

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 01:16:04 pm »
Well I always had the assumption that anime prices were so high in Japan, because they're a shame based society, hence piracy is a non-issue. So publishers can jack the price up to ridiculous levels. I can't believe Aniplex is using the same business model with their releases in the USA. Fortunately we'll never get Japanese prices here in Australia, since both our Blu-Ray and DVD region is different to Japan  8) .

I wouldn't be surprised if Fujiko Mine flopped, because it's vastly different to standard Lupin fare. The Japanese don't react well to change, why else do they keep reproducing the same stories over and over? For example, the first Berserk movie I saw recently in the cinema at Reel Anime, many shots were 1:1 replications of scenes from the anime and manga.

Despite what is happening, and despite how the Japanese feel, and despite what a lot of you feel; I am still going to happily purchase "The Woman Called Fujiko Mine" from FUNimation.

I want that in my collection, along with anything else that comes. I liked it well enough to own it. Experimentation at this point is not a bad thing, and we should all be thankful or at least content that somebody had the guts to try something new with the franchise, right?

Now if somebody can just have the sense to try something new that isn't all pretentious and F'ing weird, then maybe we can get some good Specials for a change. :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 02:02:14 pm by FilmmakerJ »

FlippytheMaster

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 03:30:28 pm »

Despite what is happening, and despite how the Japanese feel, and despite what a lot of you feel; I am still going to happily purchase "The Woman Called Fujiko Mine" from FUNimation.

I want that in my collection, along with anything else that comes. I liked it well enough to own it. Experimentation at this point is not a bad thing, and we should all be thankful or at least content that somebody had the guts to try something new with the franchise, right?

Now if somebody can just have the sense to try something new that isn't all pretentious and F'ing weird, then maybe we can get some good Specials for a change. :)
I really think that you deserve a medal for what you said.
Too often anime fans will just pirate their stuff. And then they get pissed off when more of their favorite show doesn't get made.
Of COURSE you didn't get more, you didn't support the creators.
I think a real fan would try and support the creators in any way they can--whether it's plopping down the cash for a Blu Ray or watching the legal streams with ads.
But nope, I guess in our entitled society if you can't have it EXACTLY THE WAY YOU WANT IT--that is to say, many people don't like to have it cluttering up their bookshelf or prefer to have it on a USB drive or whatever-- then it's better just to steal and prevent the creators from getting the money that they deserve.
Screw those people. I understand if you don't want to put down $40 or whatever for a series that you don't know that you'll like--but if you're too selfish to sit through a 30-second long ad then you can't call yourself a fan.
Furthermore, I think a true fan would want to collect the stuff of their passion--like you just said.
Sorry for ranting, it's just it's really rare in my experience to find someone who actually cares enough about the medium to collect it the way you just said you do.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 03:40:39 pm »
Robert:
Well I always had the assumption that anime prices were so high in Japan, because they're a shame based society, hence piracy is a non-issue.

Actually, they've been having more piracy problems as of late. In fact, these companies have no shame in underpaying animators to the point that they'd get more chances at advancement working at McDonalds.

The Japanese don't react well to change, why else do they keep reproducing the same stories over and over?

It depends. The Berserk movies flopped, because the die-hards wanted to see new animated shit based on stuff which happened after the Golden Age, and they'd been cock-teased for years into believing that's what they'd be getting. But add some moe supporting characters to "reboots" of Evangelion and Yamato, and they're instant hits.  :P My guess is, if Fujiko flops, it's more due to a lot of the older pop culture references flying over the heads of younger viewers than its narrative approach. The Japanese dig mind-f**ks.

Flippy: I can't really comment, seeing as there are more than plenty of U.S. Lupin fans who got cut their teeth off the franchise through the fansub circuit. But then Lupin has always been a property which needed fansub exposure, because it was never going to sell on the same level in N. America as, say, DBZ. Though, unlike the DBZ'ers, many of these Lupin fans went as far as importing the LDs to get their fix.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 03:41:41 pm by GATSU »

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 03:56:55 pm »

I really think that you deserve a medal for what you said.
Too often anime fans will just pirate their stuff. And then they get pissed off when more of their favorite show doesn't get made.
Of COURSE you didn't get more, you didn't support the creators.
I think a real fan would try and support the creators in any way they can--whether it's plopping down the cash for a Blu Ray or watching the legal streams with ads.
But nope, I guess in our entitled society if you can't have it EXACTLY THE WAY YOU WANT IT--that is to say, many people don't like to have it cluttering up their bookshelf or prefer to have it on a USB drive or whatever-- then it's better just to steal and prevent the creators from getting the money that they deserve.
Screw those people. I understand if you don't want to put down $40 or whatever for a series that you don't know that you'll like--but if you're too selfish to sit through a 30-second long ad then you can't call yourself a fan.
Furthermore, I think a true fan would want to collect the stuff of their passion--like you just said.
Sorry for ranting, it's just it's really rare in my experience to find someone who actually cares enough about the medium to collect it the way you just said you do.

Thank you,
I believe I should pay for everything I watch and enjoy. Because if I enjoy something enough, then I want the guarantee that I will get to watch it when ever I want. If you watch stuff through unlicensed streaming sites or youtube, you never know when they'll get taken down. So I will always want to buy the things I watch if I like them enough. No question. 8)

That's why I'm going to purchase "Panty and Stocking" this coming week. Sure it's $36 bucks for 13 episodes, but it's worth it to me. Same with Fujiko, although not as much. But since we don't get a lot of Lupin over here, the rarity alone is a bit boost in my interest to buy it. Plus it will also be dubbed by the older FUNimation cast. That's another boost.

I love gathering DVDs on my shelves. Have you seen some of these anime fans that buy $500+ worth of stuff each week, and they have piles upon piles of DVDs and Blu-rays? It's spectacular! Although, I'd much rather have a shelf for everything rather than junky looking piles. I take good care of my collection.  ;D

And I'm not just an anime fan you know. I own the "BEN HUR" limited-ed Blu-ray too. ;)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 04:06:26 pm by FilmmakerJ »