Author Topic: Last movie/episode you watched?  (Read 211213 times)

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
Re: Last movie/episode you watched?
« Reply #120 on: March 24, 2009, 02:50:57 pm »
I got to see "Missed by a Dollar" today, and I'm surprised that it isn't mentioned more often, because I loved it!  It's probably my favorite TV special at the moment (still need to watch "The Columbus Files", though)
Cynthia was a really interesting villain, and I enjoyed seeing how everyone got along without Lupin.  The plot was really intriguing, and I kept wondering what'd happen next. I really liked the character designs and soundtrack in this one, too.  Although Jigen's swimwear was a bit...eeugh...
The special had me laughing quite a few times.  I particularly enjoyed the chase on the hospital gurney and the fact that Fujiko's bra somehow attracts a magnet.  Also, I really liked every scene with Zenigata...come to think of it, all the characters were used well in this, and it was nice to see a different side to each (leader, cult member, actress, prisoner, yada yada yada...)
I'll probably be watching this one again soon.
9/10
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

Sad cactus

« Reply #121 on: March 24, 2009, 03:41:42 pm »
Although Jigen's swimwear was a bit...eeugh...

I'm surprised that Jigen isn't more notorious for his eye-popping--and not always in a good way---^^;; swimming trunks. You'd think that at his age, he would be a little more modest. But then again, it's Jigen. ^^;

Also, I really liked every scene with Zenigata...come to think of it, all the characters were used well in this, and it was nice to see a different side to each (leader, cult member, actress, prisoner, yada yada yada...)

Silly Goemon's idea of fundraising...XD

prisoner

I tell you, Zenigata's in jail almost as much as Lupin is! XD The scene in Missed By A Dollar is 12 out of 15 times Zeni's on the wrong side of the bars, implied or otherwise! XD

mizducky

• [Member]
  • "Go on punk, make my day."
    • Personal website
« Reply #122 on: March 25, 2009, 01:27:21 am »
Oh, I mention Missed by a Dollar all the time--it's one of my all-time favorite specials. There's a kind of tongue-in-cheek playfulness to the script, especially the Japanese script--well, okay, as far as one can tell from the subs--that really appeals to me. Cynthia and Lupin trading verbal barbs inside the vault. Jigen's running trope about guns being like women--and his whole scene in the pawnshop. Lupin's whole little monolog (in the subs) as he sits in the cafe with his mini-laptop attempting to uncode the secret message, making wry observations all the while about how technology seems to have taken the romance out of solving mysteries. Love it. (By the way, gotta watch out for the dub script on this one, as once again they alter several little things--they change Cynthia's last name, for one; and in the original Japanese, it's implied that Fujiko is an *investor* in films, not an actress, which makes a whole lot more sense given her running gag of losing bundles in the financial markets.)

What I watched most recently: Episode 0, for the bazillionth time. Just can't get enough of the sophisticated film noir atmosphere of this one; how bits of First Series story get picked up and transformed, especially the first couple of episodes that introduced Goemon; the genuinely sympathetic take on Fujiko falling for Lupin even while she's aiming to betray him; and that awesomely played male bonding approach/avoidance dance between Lupin and Jigen, very classic odd-couple buddy-movie territory.
Lupin fanfic work-in-progress: "Fun and Thieving in Las Vegas"
http://www.mizducky.com/churchofwhoopie/2008/08/fun-and-thievin.html

Sad cactus

« Reply #123 on: March 25, 2009, 09:46:19 am »
it's implied that Fujiko is an *investor* in films, not an actress, which makes a whole lot more sense given her running gag of losing bundles in the financial markets.)

I don't think that Fujiko is an actress in the dub. She isn't in the movie that's being filmed and she doesn't say anything to that effect. But they did Americanize Cynthia's name, like you said, which is strange. And they butcher the pronunciation of Arsène, but that's nothing new by now. (Surprisingly, Yasuo Yamada was closer to pronouncing it correctly) I haven't watched the whole sub. Is Zenigata also arrested for drunkenness in the original? oO

Alc

• [Member]
  • Oh yeah, have another cigarrette Mr. Fitness!
« Reply #124 on: March 25, 2009, 01:36:32 pm »
Oh, I mention Missed by a Dollar all the time--it's one of my all-time favorite specials. There's a kind of tongue-in-cheek playfulness to the script, especially the Japanese script--well, okay, as far as one can tell from the subs--that really appeals to me. Cynthia and Lupin trading verbal barbs inside the vault. Jigen's running trope about guns being like women--and his whole scene in the pawnshop. Lupin's whole little monolog (in the subs) as he sits in the cafe with his mini-laptop attempting to uncode the secret message, making wry observations all the while about how technology seems to have taken the romance out of solving mysteries. Love it. (By the way, gotta watch out for the dub script on this one, as once again they alter several little things--they change Cynthia's last name, for one; and in the original Japanese, it's implied that Fujiko is an *investor* in films, not an actress, which makes a whole lot more sense given her running gag of losing bundles in the financial markets.)

What I watched most recently: Episode 0, for the bazillionth time. Just can't get enough of the sophisticated film noir atmosphere of this one; how bits of First Series story get picked up and transformed, especially the first couple of episodes that introduced Goemon; the genuinely sympathetic take on Fujiko falling for Lupin even while she's aiming to betray him; and that awesomely played male bonding approach/avoidance dance between Lupin and Jigen, very classic odd-couple buddy-movie territory.

Oh I have to agree with you...I just can't stop watching Episode 0.  XD

If/when the live action movie ever comes out in 2010 I hope that the studio/director gets a chance to watch Episode 0 as I think it'd be one of the best specials to base a Lupin starter film off of.  And I really enjoy Missed By a Dollar, I thought it was cool so see what the characters would do in Lupin's absence (and Jigen taking the role of leader is just awesome).  Anyone notice that this is another special where Fujiko and Goemon seem to interact with each other quite a bit.  I mean, why doesn't she ask Jigen for help?  XD

Last special I watched was Crisis in Tokyo.  I was trying to figure out what pieces of specials I'd like to show for my film studies class.  ...Any ideas people?  It would be preferable to have them dubbed...but I might be able to sneak in a sub one.  Any interesting character interactions or scenes that you all might recommend to people that don't really know Lupin (my film class).

I'm hoping that if I show pieces of the specials that MAYBE I can introduce more people to Lupin III...we'll see how I do!  ^-^

Sad cactus

« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2009, 02:17:19 pm »
Any interesting character interactions or scenes that you all might recommend to people that don't really know Lupin (my film class).

I'm hoping that if I show pieces of the specials that MAYBE I can introduce more people to Lupin III...we'll see how I do! 

That's a great idea! I suggest the openings would be a good start. That usually has a chase scene which encapsulates the heart of Lupin--and the surface--XD but the openings are good segments to show people who have no idea about Lupin. ^^ OO Not the one for Mamo, though, unless your class goes wild over cells. ^^;;

And yes, you probably knew I was going to bring this up, but--scenes where Lupin and Zenigata help each other--to establish that it isn't just straightforward cops and robbers stuff.

Shock value: Show Goemon while he's swimming. XD

Show scenes where the big bad guys are planning something of world significance--it goes beyond the oh, noo!! Laser that will melt the ice caps and flood the earth. The scene in the boardroom in Missed By A Dollar is really good for that because of its insidious power politics. 

And of course, the four kicking ass. XD Crisis in Tokyo when Jigen gets his mojo--er, his tooth back, and Goemon gets his sword.

Columbus Files for its Funi-cussing. For a minute I thought I was watching the Geneon version! XD Chris Sabat finally got to let loose with "bastard" and "what the hell's goin' on", and so forth. XD

gothichyppie

• [Member]
  • Road buddies...
« Reply #126 on: March 25, 2009, 08:54:10 pm »
Ep.99 - The Combat Magnum Scattered in the Wasteland

Oh yeah! That episode all by itself is worth the $100 I spent on this boxset!

Ichi........................................ ni........................................ TROIS!

Sad cactus

« Reply #127 on: March 26, 2009, 01:19:11 am »
Oh yeah! That episode all by itself is worth the $100 I spent on this boxset

Jigen's enemy in there really has to calm down. 3 hours and he draws a picture of Jigen's face with his bullets? He's such a hothead. Man, can Jigen run fast or what? XD Maybe his constant smoking isn't a liability after all. ^^

gothichyppie

• [Member]
  • Road buddies...
« Reply #128 on: March 27, 2009, 07:36:03 pm »
Oh yeah! That episode all by itself is worth the $100 I spent on this boxset

Jigen's enemy in there really has to calm down. 3 hours and he draws a picture of Jigen's face with his bullets? He's such a hothead. Man, can Jigen run fast or what? XD Maybe his constant smoking isn't a liability after all. ^^
This whole sentence with Jigen running away is worthy of a movie! Awesome animation with a Miyazaki feel to it.

Oh and this morning I watched ep.12-A Present for the President, SO funny and Lupin throws in a few words in French, I couldn't be any happier, n'est-ce pas? ;D

Ichi........................................ ni........................................ TROIS!

Sad cactus

« Reply #129 on: March 27, 2009, 08:38:42 pm »
Oh and this morning I watched ep.12-A Present for the President, SO funny and Lupin throws in a few words in French, I couldn't be any happier, n'est-ce pas?

Don't Lupin, Goemon, and Jigen sing part of the Marseillaise, too?

I just watched the Lupin vs. Conan special on YouTube and  I really liked it--
(click to show/hide)
Goro Naya sounded very sick in this one. It's admirable that it seems like he'll burn out as Zenigata, but at the same time it's very sad.
(click to show/hide)

Hearing Maria's theme from Crisis in Tokyo and Ellen's from Island of Assassins in the Lupin vs. Conan special was pretty jarring. oO; But I guess it makes sense since it's the--what is it, 10th anniversary of Crisis in Tokyo? XD

Also, I'm now convinced that Jigen_knows_EVERYONE.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 09:35:56 pm by Sad cactus »

DrFurball

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #130 on: March 27, 2009, 10:06:06 pm »
Since I had heard that it was based on the Dr. Frank stories in the manga, I decided to watch "The Second Time Around". The only thing from the manga that appeared were the hypnotized corpses.  The method, characters, gags, and plot from Monkey Punch's story are absent.
That's not to say that the episode was bad.  I enjoyed all the emotion and drama in this episode, and the method for reanimating and controlling the corpses was kinda realistic.  The dub had plenty of great lines (Lupin's recap of the previous episode was hilarious).
My only problem with this was Zenigata's role in the story.  He didn't do anything at all in part two.
8.5/10

Sad cactus

« Reply #131 on: March 27, 2009, 11:35:33 pm »
My only problem with this was Zenigata's role in the story.  He didn't do anything at all in part two.

It reminds me of episode 155 in which Lupin spends the whole time disguised as Zenigata and so it's not really Zenigata and thus Zenigata doesn't do much in that episode either. However, there is a little verbal character development, when in episode 155 the girl states that Zenigata is a lot like Lupin. Same thing in "The Second Time Around Part 2" when Lupin turns Zenigata's cockroach simile onto him. Zenigata's expression after Lupin asks, "Do you get through the cracks like a damn cockroach?" is surprised, showing that Zenigata's rigid outward identity is less like he would want to see it and a bit more like Lupin's than he would like to admit.

deloreanfan

• [Member]
« Reply #132 on: March 28, 2009, 12:05:32 am »
Just finished watching Lupin the 3rd vs Detective Conan. I thought it was good and I believe through my understanding that during the entire special Lupin knew who Conan really was.

DrFurball

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #133 on: March 28, 2009, 01:30:19 am »
Same thing in "The Second Time Around Part 2" when Lupin turns Zenigata's cockroach simile onto him. Zenigata's expression after Lupin asks, "Do you get through the cracks like a damn cockroach?" is surprised, showing that Zenigata's rigid outward identity is less like he would want to see it and a bit more like Lupin's than he would like to admit.
Yeah, I forgot to mention how much I liked that gag.  That's a good point.  I once heard a theory that if they weren't on opposite sides of the law, Lupin and Zenigata would be an unbeatable criminal team.

LadyLupin

• Part of the Gang
  • Lady Lupin Sansei
« Reply #134 on: March 28, 2009, 06:43:50 am »
Oh and this morning I watched ep.12-A Present for the President, SO funny and Lupin throws in a few words in French, I couldn't be any happier, n'est-ce pas?

Don't Lupin, Goemon, and Jigen sing part of the Marseillaise, too?

I just watched the Lupin vs. Conan special on YouTube and  I really liked it--
(click to show/hide)
Goro Naya sounded very sick in this one. It's admirable that it seems like he'll burn out as Zenigata, but at the same time it's very sad.
(click to show/hide)

Hearing Maria's theme from Crisis in Tokyo and Ellen's from Island of Assassins in the Lupin vs. Conan special was pretty jarring. oO; But I guess it makes sense since it's the--what is it, 10th anniversary of Crisis in Tokyo? XD

Also, I'm now convinced that Jigen_knows_EVERYONE.

Poor Naya-san. But he's such a trooper. I couldn't imagine another Zenigata. I'm going to watch the Lupin/Conan special ASAP.