Author Topic: Last movie/episode you watched?  (Read 212181 times)

Sad cactus

Re: Last movie/episode you watched?
« Reply #165 on: May 08, 2009, 12:34:45 am »
Well, my Lupin binge continues, but this time with the first three episodes of the Red Jacket series.  Boy, no matter how much I like some of the TV specials, none of them (at least of the ones I've seen) can hold a candle to the actual TV series
  Sometimes the specials take themselves so seriously. I don't know if it's just me, but Jigen comes off as a lot more wooden in the specials than in the TV series.

gothichyppie

• [Member]
  • Road buddies...
« Reply #166 on: May 09, 2009, 11:42:49 am »
Ep.65 - Lupin's Enemy Is Lupin, the homage to Seven Samurai was a very pleasant surprise!  ;D

(click to show/hide)

Ichi........................................ ni........................................ TROIS!

blackcoated

• [Member]
  • the world is mine
« Reply #167 on: May 09, 2009, 04:18:19 pm »
the 1969 pilot

http://www.myspace.com/weberwound
my 1st uploaded and made by me video on youtube maybe ill do areview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVIu3Jssf7A&feature=channel_page

Sad cactus

« Reply #168 on: May 11, 2009, 07:27:08 pm »
The last one I watched was Voyage to Danger on Blu-Ray (ooh, shiny) ^^ in English. I have to take back the nasty things I said about Eric Vale, because the writing was superb in this one. Though I don't agree with Jigen's simplistic reasoning for killing Karen's father, Jigen was written intelligently, an equal to Lupin instead of being--oO as mean as this, a meathead. XD I was surprised that Funimation jumped on the badass Geneon wagon and made John Klaus say "shit". oO Very fun. ^^

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #169 on: May 26, 2009, 11:47:04 pm »
I just finished Golden Legend of Babylon for the first time.
I only have one question: what the heck was that?!
I mean, I don't mind some weirdness in the Lupin franchise, but
(click to show/hide)
WTF?
Also, the chase scene between Lupin and Zenigata at the start was boring and repetitive.  And the ICPO ladies were dull as well (aside from the one Goemon had a crush on.)  I can't say I cared for the character designs (aside from Lupin, who looks similar to how Monkey Punch draws him, which I liked).  Fujiko is not supposed to be ugly! 
The movie defies logic and reason.  The Statue of Liberty cannot drop her torch in surprise, and TVs can't instantaneously repair themselves after an explosion, just to name a few instances of that.
However, there were some funny gags, like the entirety of the beauty pageant, the banana peel, and Lupin entering the tower.
I also like how every character got a lot of screen time, and was used well, with, perhaps, the exception of Zenigata.  The voice acting was good, it was nice hearing Yamada as Lupin again.

But despite what I said above, I think it's best to avoid this one. 4/10
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

Sad cactus

« Reply #170 on: May 27, 2009, 08:35:57 am »
The Statue of Liberty cannot drop her torch in surprise

Neither can the statue of Jesus talk (series 2 ep. 2) or can the drawing of Hitler wink (series 2 ep. 3). A lot of Lupin demands suspension of disbelief---otherwise you can't enjoy those bizarre moments.

I'd like to counter DrFurball's review, which will be useful for a lot, but not all, of the viewers on this board. Avoid Babylon if you prefer realism. If you like a little supernatural spice with your Lupin, then definitely watch Babylon. An exploding *Fujiko*, an epic chase with Lupin and Zenigata in this guy's mouth, an ancient extraterrestrial treasure, a magical girl, and other things that contemporary anime have (increasingly, I feel, to milk the paranormal fad)   But Babylon is a true product of the experimental '80s, where these things were fresh. Aside from certain series 2 episodes, Gold of Babylon is the best Lupin to watch when you're in need of a fantasy fix.

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #171 on: May 27, 2009, 12:11:38 pm »
Neither can the statue of Jesus talk (series 2 ep. 2)
That situation's a bit different, to me, since I always thought that Christ Himself was talking thru the statue.
or can the drawing of Hitler wink (series 2 ep. 3).
You got me there.  There was no explanation for that one.

Anyway, perhaps subconsciously inspired by watching Babylon, I decided to finally start watching the third series, starting with the first episode, .
I should've watched this sooner, because it was a very fun episode!  Firstly, I love the character designs.  Everyone, Lupin in particular, almost look like they stepped out of a Monkey Punch story. Heck, I think I'm starting to develop a crush on Fujiko again due to how she looks in this series!  The story was nothing ground-breaking, but it was interesting and enjoyable.  Despite the lack of Zenigata, I liked it. 8/10
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

Sad cactus

« Reply #172 on: May 28, 2009, 01:28:55 am »
Castle of Cagliostro. Every time I watch or listen to it I notice new things, so here we go. ^^

Having watched The Cat Returns, I wonder if the white cat Renaldo Moon swallowing all the fish in the lake was a reference to Lupin proclaiming to Clarisse that if she believes in the power of the thief, that he would be able to swallow all of the water in the lake in one gulp.

The first line of the Manga Entertainment dub is bad language. XD

Lupin saying "adieu" to Clarisse implies that they won't meet again.

The archbishop sounds an awful lot like Richard Epcar. Did he play anyone else besides Goemon?

I wonder if the scene in Howl's Moving Castle when Howl hands the controls of the plane to Sophie is a nod to the scene where Lupin hands the controls of the plane to Zenigata and he also crash-lands the plane. Both succeed in escaping, despite their negligible piloting skills. XD

Though Castle of Cagliostro is generally light-hearted, the catacomb scene is darker than the other long-dead remains that Lupin and co. usually run across. Miyazaki as well as most Lupin directors pay attention to detail, and that detail comes out in differentiation between all the figures in any given space. As Lupin descends into the catacomb, there's that circle of hanged corpses--as if they were formally executed by the Cagliostros. Then there are the other corpses piled in heaps on the ground. Whether they were secretly murdered or formally executed isn't clear, but they died differently than those who were hanged. And then there's the Japanese soldier--who didn't die gloriously in battle but in the catacombs, while spying for his side--doing his duty but dying in the catacombs in a way that demanded vengeance. The differentation of the corpses shows that the castle has more than a dirty secret. It might separate secret disposals from public executions--in other words there might be reasons for keeping the other murders secret. There's also the possibility that trespassers just fell into the catacombs and died. In any case, the catacomb adds something more than political intrigue--in the dub the pit is referred to "a foul hell from which there is no escape". It's practically a prison, by virtue of having no exit and there are legitimate authorities willing enemies to fall victim to it. While other prisons are closely supervised and regulated---with guards, cells, walls, bars, checkpoints, etc., the pit is one in which the prisoners are deliberately abandoned and, if they're not murdered then and there or dumped there after being killed elsewhere, may have been conveniently forgotten (like Zenigata, who fell in by accident) left there to rot, dungeon-style. Unlike the night, which is dark and is witness to more sinister goings-on, the catacombs are dark but oppressively so, because of the complete separation from the world of the living. So when Lupin and Zenigata are finding their way through the catacomb, they're on one hand looking upon a  grim world of death long past, and yet, unlike Lupin walking around in Alcatraz (Alcatraz Connection), or the concentration camp (The Second Time Around Part 2) that are no longer in operation, Lupin and Zenigata's entombment in the catacomb is potential and immediate, and willed on the part of the Count, a legitimate authority.   Anyway, there's my thoughts on the politics of the pit under the castle. : )

There's another thing: Cagliostro threatens Clarisse, "I'll have your thief brought back to you, flayed and quartered." Pretty sinister line. oO In other words, Castle of Cagliostro has some very dark moments--which, even in the lightest of Miyazaki's films, there's always some kind of sinister undertone--Even in the Cat Returns, which is described by Disney as a "lighthearted tale", the cat kingdom has cat eye-shaped surveillance cameras floating around near the castle. Not typical of a happy-go-lucky kingdom in which everything is sunshine and roses.

One more thing---like the Tarantulas in Island of Assassins/Walther P-38, governments worldwide know of Cagliostro's activities and, diplomatically, their hands are tied, basically giving the Count the green light to kill any intruders. The difference with the Tarantulas is that the world leaders look slightly better in Cagliostro, because they have the attitude, "we would do something if it wouldn't cause an diplomatic incident", as opposed to in Island of Assassins/Walther P-38, where the world leaders both approve of their activities and shield them from authority within their own boundaries. The Count's country and castle are similar, except that the Tarantulas kill targets on the outside, designated by the government, and the Count kills or has killed intruders coming in from the outside.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 01:46:16 am by Sad cactus »

Lupin_Convert

• [Member]
« Reply #173 on: May 29, 2009, 03:24:17 am »
Well, my Lupin binge continues, but this time with the first three episodes of the Red Jacket series.  Boy, no matter how much I like some of the TV specials, none of them (at least of the ones I've seen) can hold a candle to the actual TV series
  Sometimes the specials take themselves so seriously. I don't know if it's just me, but Jigen comes off as a lot more wooden in the specials than in the TV series.

Very good point!  I actually hadn't thought of that, but you're very right.  I know Jigen is supposed to be a cool guy, but he can also be loose and fun!  And I like the lightness of the TV series, the slightly airy quality, I dunno how else to put it.

Lupin saying "adieu" to Clarisse implies that they won't meet again.

Nice subtle touch!  One of the things I love about the movie is the slight tinge of melancholy (but not in a depressing way at all), or bittersweet flavor.  (Heck, just listen to "Fire Treasure" to see what I'm getting at.)  The bit you pointed out is a perfect example.

ANYWAY, as for the Lupin that I just watched, this time it was Missed By A Dollar, and I liked it very much.  The art style wasn't as consistently solid as in other specials, and the plot was too complicated for its own good at times.  But it was for the most part very fun, particularly the first half (the second wasn't so strong.)  I liked how Lupin was trying his hand at the digital world of online economics and the like, still being the top-notch thief he's always been but commenting along the way on, "Where's the romanticism in it?"

This one completes the Lupin specials that are on Netflix, and I'd say it was my second favorite after Crisis in Tokyo.  But I still have yet to see Voyage to Danger or Island of Assassins.  Not to mention all the Lupin specials unavailable on Region 1 DVD.  Phooie!

Alc

• [Member]
  • Oh yeah, have another cigarrette Mr. Fitness!
« Reply #174 on: June 04, 2009, 03:45:08 pm »
The last one I watched was Voyage to Danger on Blu-Ray (ooh, shiny) ^^ in English. I have to take back the nasty things I said about Eric Vale, because the writing was superb in this one. Though I don't agree with Jigen's simplistic reasoning for killing Karen's father, Jigen was written intelligently, an equal to Lupin instead of being--oO as mean as this, a meathead. XD I was surprised that Funimation jumped on the badass Geneon wagon and made John Klaus say "shit". oO Very fun. ^^

Wait...what?

When was Voyage to Danger released on Blu-Ray in English?  Oo  (I'm guessing it's Region 0 right?)

Dots Salchow

• Actually Dots Salchow
  • Part of the Gang
  • That's Dots to you!
    • Tumblr blog
« Reply #175 on: June 05, 2009, 05:45:59 pm »
I last saw "Lupin dies twice", and i think it's kind of a bizarre episode, but i liked it. :)
(click to show/hide)
Often caught but never held for long, Lupin III brought the gentleman-thief into this century with his hi-tech antics and old-world charm.
~Helen McCarthy, 500 Manga Heroes & Villains

alljackets67

• [Member]
« Reply #176 on: June 05, 2009, 05:52:21 pm »
That's what's so good about anime, it doesn't have to make sense. Especially Lupin. :P  Welcome to the forums by the way. =)

Dots Salchow

• Actually Dots Salchow
  • Part of the Gang
  • That's Dots to you!
    • Tumblr blog
« Reply #177 on: June 19, 2009, 07:13:22 am »
Welcome to the forums by the way. =)
Thanks. ;D

I just saw Napoleon's Dictionary and, IMO, the special is kinda "meh". The animation ain't great (but that's the early 90's), but the plot still kept we watching. I also found the little Lupin/Zenigata switch-a-roo a very amusing side-plot.
(click to show/hide)
Often caught but never held for long, Lupin III brought the gentleman-thief into this century with his hi-tech antics and old-world charm.
~Helen McCarthy, 500 Manga Heroes & Villains

Sad cactus

« Reply #178 on: June 19, 2009, 10:50:06 pm »
When was Voyage to Danger released on Blu-Ray in English?  Oo  (I'm guessing it's Region 0 right?)

Sorry, I mis-spoke. oO I meant that I watched the DVD on a Blu-Ray player. ^^;;  Sorry for getting your hopes up.. ;_;

I just saw Napoleon's Dictionary and, IMO, the special is kinda "meh". The animation ain't great (but that's the early 90's), but the plot still kept we watching. I also found the little Lupin/Zenigata switch-a-roo a very amusing side-plot.

That was a hilarious part! ^^ Too bad that Jigen and Goemon ditched him though as soon as they found out he wasn't Lupin. : (

blackjacket

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #179 on: June 26, 2009, 08:53:51 am »
I watched all the TV specials that exist before I watched Lupin.vs.Conan, so LupinvsConan special would be the last one I watched. If that doesn't count as a Lupin feature,
(it really isn't much of Lupin special), then it would be the latest TV Special, Sweet Lost Night. I am eagerly waiting for this year's TV Special.