Author Topic: Last movie/episode you watched?  (Read 211217 times)

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
Re: Last movie/episode you watched?
« Reply #240 on: October 05, 2009, 04:05:33 am »
Episode 1 of Mankatsu
First of all, the animation looks great.  It suits Monkey Punch's style of drawing very well.  The main stage and mini stage seemed to both be interesting stories (I can't tell for sure, since I don't speak the language).  One seemed to be an East vs West thing, while the other appeared to be a spy story with some pretty cool action near the end.
The "Wandering Samurai" segments were funny as were the ones featuring Lupin and Co.  However, some jokes fell flat, such as
(click to show/hide)
  But aside from that, it seems like a fun series so far, and I'm definitely gonna keep watching. 
7.5/10
Hey, it's better than Alice.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

gothichyppie

• [Member]
  • Road buddies...
« Reply #241 on: October 05, 2009, 11:45:33 am »
Episode 1 of Mankatsu
First of all, the animation looks great.  It suits Monkey Punch's style of drawing very well.  The main stage and mini stage seemed to both be interesting stories (I can't tell for sure, since I don't speak the language).  One seemed to be an East vs West thing, while the other appeared to be a spy story with some pretty cool action near the end.
The "Wandering Samurai" segments were funny as were the ones featuring Lupin and Co.  However, some jokes fell flat, such as
(click to show/hide)
  But aside from that, it seems like a fun series so far, and I'm definitely gonna keep watching. 
7.5/10
Hey, it's better than Alice.

Is this available on region 1 or 0? It looks great!

Ichi........................................ ni........................................ TROIS!

blackcoated

• [Member]
  • the world is mine
« Reply #242 on: October 06, 2009, 09:42:09 pm »
both lupin dead or alive and crisis on tokyo
i was quite dissapointed,i dont know why but i expected more action on crisis ,and dead or alive too,they just unfocus on lupin and the gand to the other new characters

http://www.myspace.com/weberwound
my 1st uploaded and made by me video on youtube maybe ill do areview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVIu3Jssf7A&feature=channel_page

Psycho_Kenshin

• Part of the Gang
  • Fujiko is super hot, Lupin is uber cool
    • My profile on MyAnimeList.net (including Lupin reviews!)
« Reply #243 on: October 12, 2009, 02:23:17 am »
Just watched the 2008 special Sweet Lost Night for the first time, really enjoyed it. Very fun, and seemed pretty cleverly done, with some nice twists on the classic Lupin formula.

Psycho_Kenshin

• Part of the Gang
  • Fujiko is super hot, Lupin is uber cool
    • My profile on MyAnimeList.net (including Lupin reviews!)
« Reply #244 on: October 14, 2009, 07:47:08 pm »
Just watched Da Capo of Love - Fujiko's Unlucky Days (The Columbus Files). Haven't watched it in years, still a very enjoyable one. It's nice to see more focus on how much Lupin cares about Fujiko, and I enjoy Goemon being awesomely eccentric in this one. Plus that green jacketed villain Nazaroff is hilarious. Good stuff.  8)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 07:48:06 pm by Psycho_Kenshin »

blackjacket

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #245 on: October 15, 2009, 07:56:12 am »
Just watched Da Capo of Love - Fujiko's Unlucky Days (The Columbus Files). Haven't watched it in years, still a very enjoyable one. It's nice to see more focus on how much Lupin cares about Fujiko, and I enjoy Goemon being awesomely eccentric in this one. Plus that green jacketed villain Nazaroff is hilarious. Good stuff.  8)

If I'm not wrong, Nazaroff was voiced by the director of that special.

gothichyppie

• [Member]
  • Road buddies...
« Reply #246 on: October 19, 2009, 09:04:54 pm »
Let's Play the Abduction (pink series ep.14) :

(click to show/hide)

Ichi........................................ ni........................................ TROIS!

djcj

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #247 on: October 25, 2009, 01:22:44 pm »
Let's Play the Abduction (pink series ep.14)
Just out of curiosity, do you watch those episodes raw, in a foreign language or are there english subbed episodes from another group than Kaizou?

gothichyppie

• [Member]
  • Road buddies...
« Reply #248 on: October 27, 2009, 06:36:45 pm »
Let's Play the Abduction (pink series ep.14)
Just out of curiosity, do you watch those episodes raw, in a foreign language or are there english subbed episodes from another group than Kaizou?
I have these two bootleg boxsets from China, not much of a torrent person, I don't even have a computer of my own. I watch these episodes with English subtitles, even though the translation is horrible! I watch one episode every morning while getting ready for work, nothing like it!

The one I watched (again) this morning is 'In Jigen, I Saw The Gentleness Of a Man's Soul' (ep.129). I love all Jigen-oriented episodes but this one has to be the hottest, oh yeah!

Dots Salchow

• Actually Dots Salchow
  • Part of the Gang
  • That's Dots to you!
    • Tumblr blog
« Reply #249 on: October 27, 2009, 07:16:29 pm »
Redjacket series episode 19: "Can You Open The Ten-Year Vault?/A Safe Bet"

This is one of my more favorite episodes because it shows Lupin doing what he does best: Breaking through safes!

The first half is all about Marukin constantly being humiliated by Lupin's fortunate efforts at breaking through all of his safes, but the real challenge begins at the second half of the episode when his son Jyoutaro shows up for the first time.

I find the second half of the episode to be more successful because of the humor. Jyoutaro keeps forcing Lupin to accept his challenge by torturing him while he's in a steambath (very funny sight).
(click to show/hide)
I won't spoil here what kind of a safe Jyoutaro has made or how Lupin opened it, but it's all a feast of comedy. Thumbs up! ;D

Also, as soon as i saw Fujiko and Lupin playing Pong together in the first half, i couldn't help but chuckle for some reason. Maybe it's the nostalgia... maybe...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 07:47:34 pm by geckogirl191 »
Often caught but never held for long, Lupin III brought the gentleman-thief into this century with his hi-tech antics and old-world charm.
~Helen McCarthy, 500 Manga Heroes & Villains

djcj

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #250 on: November 09, 2009, 12:17:14 pm »
Napoleon's Dictionary.
(click to show/hide)

By the way, do you know how good the translation of those subtitles is?
Cause I don't think it's been subbed by any proper group, just like Alcatraz Connection (how good is that translation anyway?).

Dots Salchow

• Actually Dots Salchow
  • Part of the Gang
  • That's Dots to you!
    • Tumblr blog
« Reply #251 on: November 16, 2009, 02:31:09 pm »
"Pursuit for Harimao's Treasure"
To me, this is probably one of the funniest specials i've seen so far. My primary reason being because Lupin comes off as being more quirky than in any of the other movies i've seen so far, wich i find kind of hilarious at some points.

The artwork really makes me smile. It's basically an update of Dragon of Doom's animation style, just made a little more simple. I think it makes it look a little cuter. As always, Osamu Dezaki's split-screen montaging makes an appearance in this one. I did find that there was a heavy use of harmony cel stills (black outline is drawn on cel, all colors are on the background) in this special. Normally, these harmony cels are used at the end of an important scene but in this special they do it after nearly every scene. I don't really find it a nuisance but it does get a little boring after a while.

The plot? Well, i only caught about half of it since i saw a raw unsubbed version. I do know the basic storyline but i'm a little clueless about the details.

Despite me not understanding enough Japanese to fully grab the story, i give this special an 8.5/10, because HEY! It's just me. ;)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 11:55:43 am by geckogirl191 »
Often caught but never held for long, Lupin III brought the gentleman-thief into this century with his hi-tech antics and old-world charm.

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #252 on: November 17, 2009, 02:59:28 pm »
(click to show/hide)
Actually,
(click to show/hide)
I agree that it's a pretty funny special, though.  The jokes feel a lot less forced than some of the more recent ones. 
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

Dots Salchow

• Actually Dots Salchow
  • Part of the Gang
  • That's Dots to you!
    • Tumblr blog
« Reply #253 on: November 17, 2009, 03:16:32 pm »
(click to show/hide)
Actually,
(click to show/hide)
Whoops, i guess i misunderstood the dialogue then. Damn me and my (lack of) Japanese skills!

Off-topic-ish: I finally gathered all my courage to ask my parents to get me the Lupin III movie box sets for christmas (yes, both 1st Haul and Final Haul). Now all i gotta do is wait and hope for the best... <- wishing upon a star
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 03:23:02 pm by geckogirl191 »

gothichyppie

• [Member]
  • Road buddies...
« Reply #254 on: November 17, 2009, 06:24:36 pm »
Off-topic-ish: I finally gathered all my courage to ask my parents to get me the Lupin III movie box sets for christmas (yes, both 1st Haul and Final Haul). Now all i gotta do is wait and hope for the best... <- wishing upon a star
What you think of its content is up to you but unless you watch Lupin III in English, I must warn you that 'Secret Of Twilight Gemini' is ONLY English dubbed. I personally went WTF?!. ;)

I'll resume : the last episode I watched was 'Farewell My Beloved Witch' (1st series, 3rd ep.). Very dramatic, it's like watching a live-action film for 20 minutes! Nice!

(click to show/hide)