Author Topic: Last movie/episode you watched?  (Read 212186 times)

mizducky

• [Member]
  • "Go on punk, make my day."
    • Personal website
Re: Last movie/episode you watched?
« Reply #255 on: November 17, 2009, 11:25:12 pm »
What you think of its content is up to you but unless you watch Lupin III in English, I must warn you that 'Secret Of Twilight Gemini' is ONLY English dubbed. I personally went WTF?!. ;)
Actually, there are two versions of Twilight Gemini out there. The original uncut version, which contains both Japanese (subtitled) and English (dubbed) tracks, also has a huge amount of fanservice content, some of which gets pretty darned raw. The cut version removes all the fanservice (at some points quite clumsily); it also has the Japanese soundtrack removed--I'm guessing they did that because the Japanese script contains a few lines where Lupin makes some especially politically-incorrect comments about the especially gay-identified Bad-Guy Henchman.

I understand that a bunch of the First Haul Box Sets apparently went to market with the cut version of Twilight Gemini, but with no labeling on the package letting you know that's what you were getting. Apparently, back when the box sets were first issued, you could return the cut version of TG and get the uncut if you wanted to. I'm pretty darn certain that offer has long expired.  ;)

Out of pure curiosity over what the hell I was missing, I went and bought myself an uncut version of TG when I discovered my box set had the cut version. FWIW, my personal opinion is that, despite the couple of admittedly obnoxious homophobic lines they put in Lupin's mouth, the Japanese script and voiceacting is so superior to the English-language script and acting that it lifts what would otherwise be a mediocre Lupin special into something that's actually pretty fun. Still has plot holes you could drive a semi-tractor through, and it's much more about "Lupin Does Casablanca" atmosphere than heavy plot, but I found it enjoyable. And ... whoa, that fanservice ... ! ;D

Anyway, just thought I'd throw in my two cents. As you were.
Lupin fanfic work-in-progress: "Fun and Thieving in Las Vegas"
http://www.mizducky.com/churchofwhoopie/2008/08/fun-and-thievin.html

gothichyppie

• [Member]
  • Road buddies...
« Reply #256 on: November 21, 2009, 03:16:39 am »
Actually, there are two versions of Twilight Gemini out there. The original uncut version, which contains both Japanese (subtitled) and English (dubbed) tracks, also has a huge amount of fanservice content, some of which gets pretty darned raw. The cut version removes all the fanservice (at some points quite clumsily); it also has the Japanese soundtrack removed--I'm guessing they did that because the Japanese script contains a few lines where Lupin makes some especially politically-incorrect comments about the especially gay-identified Bad-Guy Henchman.

I didn't get to watch the whatever-it-is English version from my First Haul boxset, I just got it the hell out of my dvd player, gave it away and bought a Japanese version instead, it is obviously uncut. I didn't find it particularly offensive, the frequent use of fanservice - as you call it - became annoying though. Grateous yes, but why distribute it if they're gonna butcher it up?
(click to show/hide)

We're very far from 'Castle Of Cagliostro', expect maybe for Fujiko's blond hair! ;)

Ok, the last episode I watched was the 'Beatles' episode, 'Her Majesty's Slipshod Inspectors' (ep.47)
Lupin with the shaving cream in the mirror from 'A Hard Day's Night', classic!  ;D

Ichi........................................ ni........................................ TROIS!

Zoo Station

• [Member]
    • The Fedora Chronicles
« Reply #257 on: December 05, 2009, 01:55:05 pm »
I watched Farewell to Nostradomus the other night. This has always been one of my favorite Lupin films and, while not perfect, it gets a lot of things right and I find it pretty enjoyable. :)

Sad cactus

« Reply #258 on: December 21, 2009, 09:35:13 pm »
It's one of those more human ones--and Lupin's ride down the crumbling Earth Building with Julia in tow is epic. *___*

I last watched part of the Pink Jacket episode in which a mafia? boss tortures Jigen by electric chair. oO He shocks poor Jigen four or five times before Lupin bursts in.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 09:35:51 pm by Sad cactus »

Dots Salchow

• Actually Dots Salchow
  • Part of the Gang
  • That's Dots to you!
    • Tumblr blog
« Reply #259 on: December 28, 2009, 05:02:49 pm »
Re-watched Pursuit for Harimao's Treasure, this time in English, straight from the DVDs.
I now fully understand what's going on and since i saw a bit of the Golgo 13 movie (also directed by Osamu Dezaki) a while back, i find it a bit more tolerable. In fact, it's become one of my favorites now.
(click to show/hide)

I've been told a lot that the FUNimation dub isn't good but after checking it out, i don't find it horrible. Even though they keep pronouncing Lupin's name wrong, i think that the script is cleverly spiced up with great jokes and even when the voicing gets a little over-the-top, it always leaves for some "guilty laughs".
In addition, judging by his performance, i think Sonny Strait had a lot of fun voicing Lupin.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 05:08:06 pm by geckogirl191 »
Often caught but never held for long, Lupin III brought the gentleman-thief into this century with his hi-tech antics and old-world charm.
~Helen McCarthy, 500 Manga Heroes & Villains

Sad cactus

« Reply #260 on: December 28, 2009, 11:23:51 pm »
geckogirl: Pursuit of Harimao's Treasure was one of the ones with better writing and not awfully censored ::cringes at Jigen's clean mouth in Crisis in Tokyo.:: No eyebrow-raisers like "Let me see your tiny, powerful dragon"...X__X;

I keep saying, it's Lu/Ru-pahn in Japan, but everywhere else should be able to pronounce it as they want and not be considered wrong. When it's not Edgar in France, it's Lu-pehn, and unless I'm deaf it's the same in Germany. In Italy it's Loo-pen and in Russia it's Lyu-pyin (or Lyu-pyen?) So in English-speaking countries, Loo-pan, Roo-pan, Loo-pahn, Loo-pin--who cares? It's all the same guy. : ) As is Hardyman and Arsenio and Wolf.

Dots Salchow

• Actually Dots Salchow
  • Part of the Gang
  • That's Dots to you!
    • Tumblr blog
« Reply #261 on: December 31, 2009, 08:04:30 am »
I keep saying, it's Lu/Ru-pahn in Japan, but everywhere else should be able to pronounce it as they want and not be considered wrong. When it's not Edgar in France, it's Lu-pehn, and unless I'm deaf it's the same in Germany. In Italy it's Loo-pen and in Russia it's Lyu-pyin (or Lyu-pyen?) So in English-speaking countries, Loo-pan, Roo-pan, Loo-pahn, Loo-pin--who cares? It's all the same guy. : ) As is Hardyman and Arsenio and Wolf.

You got a point there, S.C.! You may change his name a million times, he's still THE Lupin we all know.

Anyhoo, finally decided to watch Dead or Alive. I didn't expect much from it and, strangely enough, the fact that Lupin didn't appear a lot in the movie didn't throw me off at all. I actually thought this one was quite entertaining.

During the movie, i did notice some oddly similar tidbits at first:
There's one scene in a security room where Joe Shimamura/009 from Cyborg 009 can be seen on one of the monitors.

Furthermore, that bowlhat-wearing guy who works for Crisis somehow reminds me of Great Britain/Cyborg 007.

I doubted if they were true similarities or just coïncidences, so i did a quick look-up at AnimeNewsNetwork and found out that Jun Kawagoe, co-director and storyboarder of this movie, later directed and storyboarded a couple of the 2001 Cyborg 009 series' episodes.
Needless to say, i was surprised at that find.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 07:55:46 am by geckogirl191 »
Often caught but never held for long, Lupin III brought the gentleman-thief into this century with his hi-tech antics and old-world charm.
~Helen McCarthy, 500 Manga Heroes & Villains

Sad cactus

« Reply #262 on: January 02, 2010, 10:50:22 pm »
I have no idea about Cyborg 009, so your guess is probably better than mine. ^^

I watched/listened--in a row---Dead or Alive, Voyage to Danger, Crisis in Tokyo, Disc 15 of Part 2 ("The Bride Came D.O.A." through "Baton Death March") and half of Secret of Mamo. *___*

The only time where the word "shit" is said in a Lupin special---Voyage to Danger. XD When John Klaus/Clause/Claude/whoop-de-do gets grazed by a bullet, he says "shit." I think I said that already..oO Anyway, watching it again renewed my appreciation for the Funimation cast. I love the dramatic, almost epic mood of Voyage to Danger, because of the intrigue of the weapons dealing organization starting a war, a similar premise to Missed By A Dollar.

It tickles me pink when Lupin deceives Ole in Dead Or Alive, and then it occurred to me that Lupin has it in for Headhunter from the very start. More reasons to like it. *__*

And as always, I love the writing of the Red Jacket series---and was sad for Jigen in "Dark Charade". Zenigata was sadly clueless in that one, though. I guess it has to balance out his demonstrative mourning for Lupin in "The Bride Came D.O.A.". It was nice to see Goemon, and then Jigen, Goemon, and Fujiko, turn on Lupin in "Lupin's Psychic Fiend" and "Baton Death March".

J B

• Part of the Gang
    • http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3154/65555664.jpg
« Reply #263 on: January 04, 2010, 03:25:58 am »
Last movie or special I saw was Walther P38. It was actually good, almost as enjoyable as Castle of Cagliostro, but better than Lupin III vs. Detective Conan and The Secret of Mamo in my opinion. I should watch another one soon, but it's so darn hard to get a hold of TV series episodes, even online.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 03:30:18 am by J B »

Sad cactus

« Reply #264 on: January 04, 2010, 10:03:14 am »
I thought that it was easier to find the TV specials than the episodes, since First and Final Haul are still around. Or are you talking about individual DVDs?

blackcoated

• [Member]
  • the world is mine
« Reply #265 on: January 04, 2010, 11:53:24 pm »
I thought that it was easier to find the TV specials than the episodes, since First and Final Haul are still around. Or are you talking about individual DVDs?
damn straight, i havent found any episode from 75 to the two miyazaki ones

http://www.myspace.com/weberwound
my 1st uploaded and made by me video on youtube maybe ill do areview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVIu3Jssf7A&feature=channel_page

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #266 on: January 05, 2010, 02:02:58 am »
Ok, the last episode I watched was the 'Beatles' episode, 'Her Majesty's Slipshod Inspectors' (ep.47)
Lupin with the shaving cream in the mirror from 'A Hard Day's Night', classic!  ;D
Just finished watching that one myself. It was Ok, it had some clever moments like
(click to show/hide)
  And you gotta love the way Lupin ends his letter.
"PS: if you happen to catch the bouquet, Dover, try not to eat it."
A nice episode.  It was mostly a "Lupin vs someone" story, which is always good.  Although while Zenigata's appearance did seem kinda tacked on...one of the clever moments I mentioned earlier couldn't have happened.

Oh, by the way, I screencapped this while watching the episode.  Use it when necessary:
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

Sad cactus

« Reply #267 on: January 05, 2010, 09:55:10 am »
XD Great picture.

Although while Zenigata's appearance did seem kinda tacked on...

If Zenigata's function is reduced to only chasing after Lupin, then I guess I can understand why his appearance when he's doing otherwise may seem superfluous. But the episodes in which Zenigata's put in jail develops his character in ways you don't see when he's chasing Lupin. Like in this episode, he goes from outraged to distressed and then the next time you see him he's twiddling his thumbs. Other times he's calm (Tokyo Crisis), in episode 6 of Part 3, he's raging at Fujiko. in "Morocco Horror Picture Show" in the cell with Lupin he's cocky and triumphant because he thinks he's caught Lupin, but in the cell chained to Lupin, he's moody. In a later Part 2 episode, he protests at first but then falls on his knees with an air of absolute defeat. And so on.

An episode where his appearance was superfluous was "Dangerous Dreamers", where his squad car passes by Lupin's car and he says, "I'm not in this one." That could easily be replaced with "hi im here k thx bye now". XD

That's what's great about Lupin, there's so many things going on at once so you can always find something new each time. ^^

KoichiZenigata

• Part of the Gang
  • Stealing Japan for a Year
    • Lupin has a podcast
« Reply #268 on: January 05, 2010, 06:46:23 pm »
Hmm that last movie I watched was Lupin III The Castle of Cagliostro - DVD. I still love it even if i have watched it for the 100th time!
The last Episode I watched was Lupin III Part II: Episode 57:  Alter Ego Maniac   - now that was a great episode of Zenigata XD ;D  :D

Sad cactus

« Reply #269 on: January 05, 2010, 07:30:48 pm »
KoichiZenigata: Ooh,  great Zenigata moments in those! Zeni teams up with Lupin in Cagliostro, and he---heh---lies to Lupin that he wanted to break into Hunter's safe to steal the coin of his ancestor, but he already had stolen it! XD