Author Topic: Last movie/episode you watched?  (Read 211232 times)

Sad cactus

Re: Last movie/episode you watched?
« Reply #270 on: January 07, 2010, 07:23:56 pm »
Secret of the Twilight Gemini, minus naked parts. XD

After giving this special a second look I noticed a few things. Lupin seems a lot younger than he is in other specials--he's rounder, no hardness in his features at all--I mean it might just be the design, but then Dolune keeps calling him "Baby". That was an "awww" moment, because Lupin at first resents the nickname but eventually tells Dolune to call him "Baby". It was also interesting that Jigen isn't the only one to have long-standing connections in the underworld, and Dolune seems like a patron to Lupin, or maybe a former patron. In any case, Lupin seems to respect Dolune as a crime lord, the likes of which he usually screws over.

Chris Sabat's Jigen was a lot smoother and euphonous, compared with Crisis in Tokyo where he's very gruff, to the point of being nearly incomprehensible. He looked a little younger too, or at least less wrinkly. Goemon's nose was very defined and noble-looking in this one. And Fujiiko was pissed off for the whole time, clothes and no clothes.

I found it interesting that Lupin was very, very nervous when he broke into the police station, another indication that Lupin might be younger here.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Zenigata make a transition from green to red jacket characterization. He's all serious and self-righteous but irritatingly condescending without his extra zany edge to balance his reserved, dignified characterization in the first part of the special. I do like his brilliant trap during the scene on the train. Lupin calls it a "sneak attack" and "cowardly" of him, and it's interesting that Lupin generally expects Zenigata to fight honorably, but Zenigata could care less.

But once he's pushing the truck out of the sand, he's all wild-eyed and sweaty, exerting that monumental physical effort that he shows mostly in red jacket. He loses his composure, joins the end fight against the commissioner's thugs, and then hangs out with the group up until they find the diamonds.

What's funny, in the epilogue, Kari (the old man) asks what Zenigata's doing, and he says he'll arrest Lupin at the plane---but he had every opportunity to arrest him when they were going through the underground passageway--he was like two feet away from Lupin! XD

Goemon was a beast in this one, and it's nice to see him hell-bent on vengeance against Sadachiyo.
Funimation censored this one heavily for language, and from this TV Special it seems that Lupin is more homophobic than Jigen is in "Crusiin' in Drag", because Lupin calls Sadachiyo "gay bastard" and other denigrating terms. Not that I like Sadachiyo --he's a pig, but Lupin has never drawn attention to a man's sexuality in another special.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 07:36:00 pm by Sad cactus »

Sad cactus

« Reply #271 on: January 18, 2010, 12:37:47 pm »
Fujiko's Unlucky Days, in Japanese. oO Because I'm starting to memorize the English dub version. oO;

Apparently, Zenigata owns only one suit. oO
He has Japanese police with him, so I'm wondering if he's still with Tokyo Metropolitan police in that special. Did he specifically introduce himself as being with the ICPO?
Nasalhof's laugh is more ridiculous than it is in the dub, my bleeding ears and I were impressed. ^^
Lupin is surprisingly vindictive to Jigen and Goemon when they start ragging on Fujiko, throwing the car into gear while Jigen and Goemon are still pushing it.
When Fujiko gets her memory back, she also gets her lipstick back. oO XD As if her lipstick represents her bad-assery. ^^
Fujiko's Unlucky Days dates itself when Zenigata announces that he's arrested Lupin in the 20th century.
Goemon was making a speech about the abilities of a man and then he gets cut off when he notices something in the water. XD

Island of Assassins/Walther P-38. I almost cried. Oo

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 10:39:03 pm by Sad cactus »

J B

• Part of the Gang
    • http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3154/65555664.jpg
« Reply #272 on: February 07, 2010, 04:47:51 am »
I'm sorry to say that I forgot the name, but I recently watched that episode (red jacket series) that involved Lupin's old lover (and deceased at that), Cornelia, the daughter of the Nazi commander who was developing an experiment with dead bodies to create... Nazi Zombies! (Lol, I wonder if Call of Duty: World at War's developers took some inspiration from that when making Nazi Zombies)

P.S. It was a two-part episode, if anyone can remember.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 04:48:29 am by J B »

Sad cactus

« Reply #273 on: February 08, 2010, 08:19:28 am »
Dub title is "The Second Time Around Part 1" and "Part 2". Sad episode, one of the more contemplative ones. I love the flute version of Lupin's theme at the end of "The Second Time Around Part 2". I wonder if it was ever put on an album.

Sabutaatti

• [Member]
  • LUPIIINN!!!
    • MAL
« Reply #274 on: February 18, 2010, 08:14:25 am »
While ago I glanced throught again Ghibli's Lupin the Third storyboard book and after that I watched "Wings of Death: Albatross" episode. I have been thingking couple times why Miyazaki used back then alias name Tsutomu Teruki in these two episodes?

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #275 on: February 18, 2010, 12:51:38 pm »
The 2000 Special. Though only bits and parts. I was showing my girlfriend some scenes where Stephanie Nadolny (Who played the main villain) sounded like her Chibi Goku voice.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #276 on: February 18, 2010, 12:52:52 pm »
While ago I glanced throught again Ghibli's Lupin the Third storyboard book and after that I watched "Wings of Death: Albatross" episode. I have been thingking couple times why Miyazaki used back then alias name Tsutomu Teruki in these two episodes?

He had already written and directed the "Castle of Cagliostro" feature film at that point. He didn't want to be cursed with the stigma of being stuck back in television forever. That's what I've read elsewhere.
-R. Nelson

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #277 on: February 18, 2010, 01:38:46 pm »
Got Vol. 7 of the Red Jacket series in the mail yesterday.  But I only watched the first ep since I could only handle the amount of awesome contained in one episode at a time.

"A Rumble Royal"
Not a bad episode at all.  A lot of deception, mind games, and action throughout.  I laughed a few times, and the small gang war at the end was neat.    A lot of good lines in the dub, too, like Lupin calling Jigen "Lincoln" and Zenigata's "Ow,"(Gotta love Jake Martin's Zenigata. I've heard it in other eps, too.  Could it be considered a catch phrase at this point?)  I do think that
(click to show/hide)
is starting to get old.  Can Lupin really be called "the world's greatest thief"
(click to show/hide)
  Anyway, a solid episode. 8/10
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

Sad cactus

« Reply #278 on: February 20, 2010, 06:48:53 am »
But DrF, eventually

(click to show/hide)

But for those episodes where she does, I'd like to think of Fujiko as Lupin's biggest rival--in the original sense--Zenigata's called Lupin's rival but depending on the episode, they're not always going towards the same goal. Lupin wants treasure, and Fujiko wants treasure, so it makes sense that Fujiko thwarts him. Simply getting away with it by tricking Lupin is cool, but sometimes Fujiko can be a total bitch and really screw over Lupin--like try and get him killed. Then it's like, really, Fujiko? X_X

Where was I going with that? Fujiko to me is also a--if not a master thief, a really good one, so if she thwarts Lupin, it doesn't threaten his credibility as a master thief because they're on the same level. It'd be the same if Jigen or Goemon had made off with the treasure. Lupin is the top, but the three others aren't just cronies, that would be pretty boring. oO That's why they work so well as a group--they're pretty much on the same level, Lupin is just a bit superhuman, that's all. XD

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #279 on: February 22, 2010, 02:44:29 am »
I don't think Fujiko's on Lupin's level. I just think that Lupin let's himself be taken advantage of because he thinks with the little head rather than the big one (A paraphrase from Tony Oliver's Lupin btw, lol).

Zoo Station

• [Member]
    • The Fedora Chronicles
« Reply #280 on: February 24, 2010, 01:29:18 am »
Got Vol. 7 of the Red Jacket series in the mail yesterday.  But I only watched the first ep since I could only handle the amount of awesome contained in one episode at a time.

Just wait until you get to the episode with the riddle about the castle. That's one of my favorite Lupin episodes and it keeps you guessing the entire time.

Sad cactus

« Reply #281 on: February 24, 2010, 01:39:51 am »
(click to show/hide)
Again!
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 01:40:35 am by Sad cactus »

J B

• Part of the Gang
    • http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3154/65555664.jpg
« Reply #282 on: February 25, 2010, 03:34:54 am »
Dub title is "The Second Time Around Part 1" and "Part 2". Sad episode, one of the more contemplative ones. I love the flute version of Lupin's theme at the end of "The Second Time Around Part 2". I wonder if it was ever put on an album.

I'm late to post, but yeah, that's the one... err, two-parter! It was sad, but it easily became one of my favorites for some reason. Maybe it's the fact that it was two-parts, but it kind of played like a Lupin III TV special or movie, in a good way. I too liked that flute theme near the end of it, after going back and listening to it.

Sad cactus

« Reply #283 on: February 28, 2010, 09:45:27 am »
Never too late to talk about Lupin! XD Yeah, it's one of my favorites too--I like how Lupin and the rotting Nazi hae a philosophical discussion of sorts--and though Lupin has the last word, there's nothing triumphant or heroic about it--it's Lupin at his most grave, and somehow most human.

Is the flute theme on any soundtrack? I love that one!

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #284 on: February 28, 2010, 12:47:34 pm »
Last Episode I watched was last night, "Aloha, Lupin", the final Episode of the Red Jacket series, as Dubbed by Streamline...

It's been a while since I've watched it and I've got to say. What a horrible way to close out the Red Jacket series. Lupin and co. are hardly actually in it. I mean what kind of boring finale is

(click to show/hide)