Author Topic: Last movie/episode you watched?  (Read 212012 times)

SavingtheGeneration

• [Member]
Re: Last movie/episode you watched?
« Reply #375 on: September 22, 2011, 12:28:49 am »
I just finished watching Mystery of Mamo for the first time. I watched it in english but it wasn't the Geneon/Pioneer dub it was some other group...their name has escaped me for the moment. But they replaced Jigen, Goemon, Fujiko, and Zenigata's names. lol That kind of threw me off at first, but I got used to it later. Anyway, I was really surprised at how good it was! I really liked the story compared to other Lupin titles. I read all of these reviews saying how bad the movie was and how bad the animation was, and I'll admit I was afraid to watch it, but I'm glad I checked it out for myself.

Sure the animation isn't the greatest thing in the world, but I really didn't mind it. I'm sure almost everyone here has already seen it, but I'm just glad to be a part of the group! I'm going to try to find the Geneon dub now and give that a try. ^^

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #376 on: September 22, 2011, 08:53:14 am »
I just finished watching Mystery of Mamo for the first time. I watched it in english but it wasn't the Geneon/Pioneer dub it was some other group...their name has escaped me for the moment. But they replaced Jigen, Goemon, Fujiko, and Zenigata's names. lol That kind of threw me off at first, but I got used to it later. Anyway, I was really surprised at how good it was! I really liked the story compared to other Lupin titles. I read all of these reviews saying how bad the movie was and how bad the animation was, and I'll admit I was afraid to watch it, but I'm glad I checked it out for myself.

Sure the animation isn't the greatest thing in the world, but I really didn't mind it. I'm sure almost everyone here has already seen it, but I'm just glad to be a part of the group! I'm going to try to find the Geneon dub now and give that a try. ^^

I'm glad you enjoyed it, for a while I thought most fans in the US didn't particularly like it. Yes the animation is quite sketchy and feels like some bizarre "Sesame Street" cartoon. But the design and the story is what makes the film so amazing. I consider it to be the weirdest thing to ever come out of the 70s, and that's why it's awesome.

In answer to your question: It looks like you watched the very rare, 1980 dub by the same team of actors that dubbed "Speed Racer." I believe the knowledgeable fans refer to it as the JAL dub.
I have no idea how you got your hands on that version, but personally I would consider it the worst dub out of the 3 that were done in US English. It has some good and some bad points though: the voice of Lupin goes back and forth, sounding odd and unemotional, and then sometimes sounding just fine. Jigen and Mamo's voices sound too similar to each other, and Goemon's actor has no idea how to sound like a Samurai. But Zenigata sounds great, and Fujiko comes off a bit dimwitted, but she has just the right sexy sound for the part.

The Geneon/Pioneer dub is probably the more superior, but the 2nd dub by Streamline is also interesting. I might suggest tracking down the other versions to see how they compare. Either way, all three versions are exactly the same in the footage content, but all three remove the same scenes from the film for their US release: such as the scene of Zenigata living in a shed out in the middle of the forest before he goes after Lupin's corpse at that castle (though, that may have actually been a scene that was never in the movie, even in Japan, and was only featured in the trailer; I'm still not sure.), and the scene of that US Government representative (with the glasses and brown suit) reading a magazine with a picture of Lupin, standing with the Justice League.

SavingtheGeneration

• [Member]
« Reply #377 on: September 22, 2011, 01:07:26 pm »

I'm glad you enjoyed it, for a while I thought most fans in the US didn't particularly like it.

In answer to your question: It looks like you watched the very rare, 1980 dub by the same team of actors that dubbed "Speed Racer." I believe the knowledgeable fans refer to it as the JAL dub.
I have no idea how you got your hands on that version, but personally I would consider it the worst dub out of the 3 that were done in US English. It has some good and some bad points though: the voice of Lupin goes back and forth, sounding odd and unemotional, and then sometimes sounding just fine. Jigen and Mamo's voices sound too similar to each other, and Goemon's actor has no idea how to sound like a Samurai. But Zenigata sounds great, and Fujiko comes off a bit dimwitted, but she has just the right sexy sound for the part.

The Geneon/Pioneer dub is probably the more superior, but the 2nd dub by Streamline is also interesting. I might suggest tracking down the other versions to see how they compare. Either way, all three versions are exactly the same in the footage content, but all three remove the same scenes from the film for their US release: such as the scene of Zenigata living in a shed out in the middle of the forest before he goes after Lupin's corpse at that castle (though, that may have actually been a scene that was never in the movie, even in Japan, and was only featured in the trailer; I'm still not sure.), and the scene of that US Government representative (with the glasses and brown suit) reading a magazine with a picture of Lupin, standing with the Justice League.

Yes, I did enjoy it! I thought it was interesting and really original.

Oh geez! I had no idea I had found something that rare! Ironically I read a review about the JAL dub that day I found it, so it's cool I was able to see it! I agree with you on the voice cast. I HATED Lupin's voice the first few seconds, and then liked it in another scene and then hated it again. It was just a long cycle. I didn't really notice that similarity between Mamo and Jigen's voices. I'm making my sister watch this movie with me Friday so I'll listen for the similarity then. I didn't like Goemon's voice either, or Fujiko's. lol I thought Fujiko wasn't bad, but I thought she sounded a little too ditsy at times. Like how she elongated some words at times. lol Zenigata was fine. I felt like he was at least attempting to match his character's flaps. lol

I'm definitely going to track down the Geneon dub as soon as possible. ^^ I've seen the first few minutes of that dub and I really liked it. I didn't see that scene where Zenigata was living in a shack, but I saw the scene with Lupin standing with the Justice League! I found that pretty hilarious. XD

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #378 on: September 23, 2011, 12:44:30 pm »

Incorrect. There's been a rogue individual (going by "Ryanasaurus" or "Ryanasauruss007") submitting false credits about this film both to Wikipedia and Anime News Network about who did the voices in this film, and falsely fredited them to Peter Fernandez, Corrine Orr, etc. They are not the same VAs. Lupin doesn't even really sound like Peter Fernandez. I tried to fight as much of this misinformation going around as possible, but some of the credits remain on ANN and sometimes this gets reported on Wikipedia.
-R. Nelson

Timefox7

• [Member]
  • Is as sly as a fox
« Reply #379 on: September 26, 2011, 12:53:46 am »
The last movie I saw was "The Pursuit of Harimao's Treasure". This movie is one of my favs because it's so crazy and wacky (C'mon, it's Lupin vs. a transvestite Nazi!). The only real complaint I have about it is that Zeni's ramen noodle joke does get a bit old after a while. Overall, I'd say it's an 8/10.
My DeviantART account: http://timefox7.deviantart.com/
My Tumblr account:
http://timefox7.tumblr.com

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #380 on: September 26, 2011, 01:21:26 pm »

Incorrect. There's been a rogue individual (going by "Ryanasaurus" or "Ryanasauruss007") submitting false credits about this film both to Wikipedia and Anime News Network about who did the voices in this film, and falsely fredited them to Peter Fernandez, Corrine Orr, etc. They are not the same VAs. Lupin doesn't even really sound like Peter Fernandez. I tried to fight as much of this misinformation going around as possible, but some of the credits remain on ANN and sometimes this gets reported on Wikipedia.

Well $#!T. (not to you, to the guy who put up that false info)

This just pisses me off, cause I've been carrying on with promoting the same damn information for a while now. And I thought it was awesome to think that the Speed Racer group just got hired up again to voice the first English dub of Lupin. I mean it's doesn't sound too unbelievable, getting the right's to dub Mamo in English and not having to look far for the cast to dub it with. Hey, why not the bunch that did Speed Racer?

So if they didn't dub Mamo, then who did? Cause it's a totally different guy than the other 6 Lupin actors, including the rest of the cast. And it was recorded in 1980 wasn't it?
So what cast worked on the first dub of "The Mystery/Secret of Mamo"?

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #381 on: September 26, 2011, 01:45:49 pm »

This just pisses me off, cause I've been carrying on with promoting the same damn information for a while now. And I thought it was awesome to think that the Speed Racer group just got hired up again to voice the first English dub of Lupin. I mean it's doesn't sound too unbelievable, getting the right's to dub Mamo in English and not having to look far for the cast to dub it with. Hey, why not the bunch that did Speed Racer?

So if they didn't dub Mamo, then who did? Cause it's a totally different guy than the other 6 Lupin actors, including the rest of the cast. And it was recorded in 1980 wasn't it?

Sadly, nobody knows. The dubbed prints have no credits for the voice cast, only for key creative staff, like Animation Directors and such. No one knows what studio they recorded in, nothing. It's all guesswork.

Peter Fernandez and company were actually not a BAD guess, because they were pretty prolific during the 60s and 70s as a localization team, but these Lupin voices don't sound like them, really.  The recording date is pretty vague, too, but IIRC it was probably sometime in 1979, because it came to the States before "Cagliostro," which was shown at a major US Sci-Fi convention in 1980.
-R. Nelson

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #382 on: September 26, 2011, 04:08:46 pm »

Sadly, nobody knows. The dubbed prints have no credits for the voice cast, only for key creative staff, like Animation Directors and such. No one knows what studio they recorded in, nothing. It's all guesswork.

Peter Fernandez and company were actually not a BAD guess, because they were pretty prolific during the 60s and 70s as a localization team, but these Lupin voices don't sound like them, really.  The recording date is pretty vague, too, but IIRC it was probably sometime in 1979, because it came to the States before "Cagliostro," which was shown at a major US Sci-Fi convention in 1980.

Well whoever they were, they managed to get a few things right compared to other dubs.
For one, they pronounced Lupin correctly; and for a first time with the character in English, that's 10 points for accuracy. Two, they casted a crazy Zenigata, as well they should have; I was pleasantly surprised when I heard Zenigata compared to everyone else, he sounded like the only one having any fun with his character. Three, they casted a decent feminine voice for Fujiko, though it could have been much better; downside however, they gave her a terrible new name...m m mm Margo. EW! It just doesn't fit at all.
Fourth, they kept the ending theme song intact, which is a weird yet light-hearted goofy song, that I thought helped end an otherwise creepy and disturbing film. I actually would have preferred it if Geneon/Pioneer had left that song in, instead of ending the movie with another play through of the '79 theme.
Fifth, granted this Lupin actor may not sound great all the time, but sometimes he's spot on with how other actors have or might have portrayed his lines. So I have to give him credit in a few places.
And finally, #Six: unlike the Streamline dub of Cagliostro, they didn't shove in any more dialogue than was pretty much there in the first place. I mean we as Americans always put grunt and moaning noises during scenes of falling, fighting, running and so on, even though the Japanese never seem to put sounds in those places. But as for the rest of the script, they didn't add dialogue for characters when they are off screen, and thereby NOT cramming up the silent parts with more noise. I know they changed many lines to have more pop-culture references, but I can deal with that since we have the two other dubs.

As for the problems with this dub, I think that lands on two things: the poor acting and lack of emotional engagement on the part of the voice-actors, and the renaming of everyone but Lupin and Mamo. I don't know why they had to rename characters that are Japanese, when Lupin is obviously also a foreign name, as well as Mamo. Why did they single out the other characters? American audiences I'm sure were used to foreign names what with all of the James Bond films up to that point. Jigen, Fujiko, and Goemon are not hard names to remember or pronounce, and neither is Zenigata. I've heard and read much harder names that even I would probably rename. But Lupin and Co. are really no biggie.

I guess we might never know who did this dub, but until we do; as Goemon said in this dub..."Ladies and gentlemen...The End."

...for now.

Dots Salchow

• Actually Dots Salchow
  • Part of the Gang
  • That's Dots to you!
    • Tumblr blog
« Reply #383 on: January 09, 2012, 01:44:18 pm »
Found the opportunity to watch two more Pinkjacket episodes, all in Japanese and unsubbed.

Episode 44: Our Papa Is a Thief
This one is about Lupin, whilst preparing for his heist, suddenly being chased around by some kids who think Lupin is their daddy. The same later happens with Jigen and Goemon. It's a pretty stupid episode but it does have its charm, especially when you see the kids interact with Lupin.
I say it's a safe watch.

Episode 38: Letiethia Loved Me
This one involves the search for a missing piece from the Little Mermaid statue and Lupin's paired up with a dolphin for the job.
God, that episode was embarrassing! For the record, i've got nothing against dolphins, but what really ticked me off is that the dolphin has a crush on Lupin. Not only that, but she even wants to MARRY HIM by the end of the episode.
I was not amused! Not amused at all!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 01:53:38 pm by geckogirl191 »
Often caught but never held for long, Lupin III brought the gentleman-thief into this century with his hi-tech antics and old-world charm.
~Helen McCarthy, 500 Manga Heroes & Villains

TMStepper

• [Member]
« Reply #384 on: January 10, 2012, 03:31:57 am »
I recently finally got to see Legend of Golden Babylon and Plot of the Fuma ClanFuma I was looking forward to, mainly due to an AMV somebody made years ago using clips from it set to "Spider" by They Might Be Giants.  And I really enjoyed it.  Fluid animation, fun story, iffy voice acting....  although I'm willing to forgive them for that.  I think it was one of AniMego's earlier releases.  While with Babylon, I wasn't looking forward to as much.  From what I'd heard, it just wasn't that good.  And the Lupin/Zenigata bike race at the beginning made my head hurt.  But once it got going, it wasn't that bad.  Nowhere near Fuma, but an interesting story.

victorystar

• Part of the Gang
  • I happen to be very knowledgeable at this!
« Reply #385 on: July 14, 2012, 11:51:05 pm »
I just saw Seven Days Rhapsody for the first time today and I think it was pretty decent. It started out really great capturing the spirit and humor of the red jacket series while also doing some great new things and allowing us to get some great moments with Lupin and Jigen's friendship, Lupin having an obsession with ice, and multiple story lines and goals conflicting each other and it seemed like it was going to be one of the best Lupin specials to date before it began to focus on a single plot that has been done many times in Lupin before and it began to regress to a typical Lupin special  while still keeping it's unique sense of fun and humor.

If they had focused on all the plot lines equally instead of becoming a typical "rescue the girl and save the day from evil!" Lupin plot it probably would have become my favorite special of all the ones I've seen so far but they did so it's more in the top 10. I did like the girl Lupin had to rescue though and she made way for a really funny part at the end but I still wish the rest of the storylines in the special were explored better. I'd still watch it again though so I don't think it's that bad. 7/10

victorystar

• Part of the Gang
  • I happen to be very knowledgeable at this!
« Reply #386 on: August 03, 2012, 12:44:13 am »
Just watched the two Miyazaki episodes of Part II again today and man are they good. There some of the episodes I can keep coming back to again and again and notice something new in them (just like Cagliostro actually lol)

Admittedly Farewell my Beloved Lupin is a pretty bad final episode to such an epic show but it was a pretty enjoyable episode.

There's only two things that really bothered me about it though.

(click to show/hide)

Still a great episode though and I love to watch it again and again.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 12:45:31 am by victorystar »

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #387 on: October 11, 2012, 02:16:00 pm »
Thanks to my mom's Hulu Plus account, I was finally able to watch "The Riddle of Tsukikage Castle". A fun little episode overall. Partially because it had ninja. Everybody loves ninja, right? I know I do!

There were some good dub lines in there as well, my favorite probably being "It's Pops! And he's mumbling to himself. That's never a good sign!"
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

FlippytheMaster

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #388 on: October 11, 2012, 09:30:00 pm »
I just watched The Fuma Conspiracy on DVD the other day, and before that I had been alternating between some Part 2 and Fujiko episodes via Hulu.
Still waiting for some news about the FUNimation Blu Ray of Fujiko, though. And for that matter, I'm pretty anxious to find out what other Lupin-related stuff Discotek is licensing, since if they do Part 2 then I don't want to watch the whole thing on Hulu then have the DVD come out. Because I'd rather watch it on DVD--I will buy the DVD regardless just to support Discotek--and I'd rather not watch a bunch of episodes twice within such a short amount of time

Porchops

« Reply #389 on: October 21, 2012, 03:52:36 am »
I just finished rewatching Green Jacket for the third time(watched it all in two days!). Still my favorite Lupin and no matter what people say the A Pro episodes are awesome!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 03:18:08 am by Porchops »