Author Topic: Last movie/episode you watched?  (Read 212211 times)

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
Re: Last movie/episode you watched?
« Reply #390 on: December 08, 2012, 11:21:54 pm »
(Any chance I can get this stickied? This seems like something that should always be on the page.)

Watched "Khan Job" and "Happy Betrayals to You". Both were very fun episodes. I loved how things went kinda nuts near the end of the former, and I loved the premise of the latter and how, despite being hounded by Fujiko, Lupin still came off as incredibly competent and clever (especially by the end).

Never realized before how flat Lex Lang's Goemon is, though. There is absolutely no emotion in any of his lines. I understand Goemon's supposed to be stoic, but he doesn't have to be so wooden.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

Dragoon En Regalia

• Dill Pycal Salesman
  • Part of the Gang
  • Goes to the Discotek a lot.
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #391 on: December 22, 2012, 06:02:25 pm »
I just finished rewatching Green Jacket for the third time(watched it all in two days!). Still my favorite Lupin and no matter what people say, the A Pro episodes are awesome!
lol, They're all produced by A Pro first and foremost. Even when the director switch commenced, A Pro and Yasuo Otsuka still took up the primary work (which includes key animation and storyboarding).

I rewatched episode 4 of the Green Jacket series several days ago. It still holds up, and it still keeps me second-guessing. I love how the Buddhist priest keeps getting richer and richer, yet Jigen only swipes his identity on execution day. Either it's a smart gesture to avoid being suspected for identity theft (which would happen if Jigen dealt with the priest earlier), or Jigen just forgot about or didn't realize he could enter the prison through that guise. Whatever the case, that's the kind of story-telling that keeps a viewer's interest. It's ambiguity at its most exciting.
Gic.

Gaff

• Space Pirate
  • Part of the Gang
    • Alan Graham Design & Illustration
« Reply #392 on: January 06, 2013, 09:25:31 am »
Finally got round to Columbus Files the other night.

The McGuffin was a bit confusing ("Your magic egg does what now?") and I thought the tv-level budget really let them down in the finale, but I enjoyed this one a lot.  I thought the comedy was well done in particular, presumably due to the presence of Nabeshin on the directing staff.

Gaff

• Space Pirate
  • Part of the Gang
« Reply #393 on: January 18, 2013, 02:50:00 pm »
Put up a review for Another Page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdo4FmeKsMk

djcj

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #394 on: January 18, 2013, 02:56:37 pm »
I thought the comedy was well done in particular, presumably due to the presence of Nabeshin on the directing staff.
Man, Columbus File has one of the greatest funny moments among the TV specials. It's not my favorite special, definitely not, but the comedy parts are really nice (Ask the engine, lol).

IncentiveBeats

• Old-Timer, Post-2003 n00b
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yay!
    • Dystopiaq
« Reply #395 on: February 12, 2013, 08:04:32 pm »
Castle Cagliostro - I don't watch much Lupin these days unfortunately, but I usually get a chance to catch this one a few times a year since my son is such a huge Miyazaki fan. I've cherished this film for years, and it never feels dated as the years go on.

djcj

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #396 on: February 20, 2013, 09:02:53 am »
@IncentiveBeats:
I agree with you. According to a newspaper seen in the movie it is set in the year 1968. But the movie is actually timeless. It could propably play anywhere between the late 19th century and the present without having to change too much. It could probably also work as an Arsene Lupin movie.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 06:56:29 am by djcj »

Gaff

• Space Pirate
  • Part of the Gang
« Reply #397 on: May 05, 2013, 10:01:09 am »
Finished Stolen Lupin this morning - kinda frustrated by it overall.

It has a lot of interesting ideas flying around - particularly Lupin's outright betrayal of Jigen & Goemon and the idea that
(click to show/hide)
- but it rarely pushes them hard enough to be satisfying, and just ends up feeling overly formulaic.  Were it just a shade darker, I think this could have been something special; as is, it's good enough, but not great.

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #398 on: May 05, 2013, 03:48:55 pm »
Finished Stolen Lupin this morning - kinda frustrated by it overall.

It has a lot of interesting ideas flying around - particularly Lupin's outright betrayal of Jigen & Goemon and the idea that
(click to show/hide)
- but it rarely pushes them hard enough to be satisfying, and just ends up feeling overly formulaic.  Were it just a shade darker, I think this could have been something special; as is, it's good enough, but not great.
I know how you feel. It can be frustrating to have plot points that you find interesting to not be expanded upon like you'd like. I guess with the type of franchise that Lupin is, they don't really want to write themselves into a corner.

Gaff

• Space Pirate
  • Part of the Gang
« Reply #399 on: May 06, 2013, 10:40:23 am »
Yeah, I can sympathise that they wouldn't want to make any significant developments that might affect the canon, but it still seems a shame that the tv specials have become so cautious in recent years.  I can only assume that they're banking on having a certain level of repeat success, if everything stays the same.

SherlockJr

• Part of the Gang
  • I specialize in Jigenese
« Reply #400 on: July 17, 2013, 04:50:18 pm »
I watched Island of Assassins for the first time and found it really boring. :( I didn't much care for Lupin's design either, something looked very off.

FilmmakerJ

« Reply #401 on: July 17, 2013, 04:55:40 pm »
I watched Island of Assassins for the first time and found it really boring. :( I didn't much care for Lupin's design either, something looked very off.

That's how I felt about it.

The cinematography (if you can call it that when it's in animation) was very dark and very greenish: almost like the Hue was off. As expected, I didn't care at all for any of the characters it brought up, especially the guy who stole Lupin's Walther and betrayed him years back. And I also thought it was a bad idea to attempt to kill Pops. That's not to say that couldn't have worked if it was handled differently, but it just felt like an unnecessary addition to this movie.

By far, Island of Assassins is my least favorite Lupin special/movie that I have seen. Although, "Episode 0" comes at a close 2nd.

SherlockJr

• Part of the Gang
  • I specialize in Jigenese
« Reply #402 on: July 17, 2013, 05:07:05 pm »

That's how I felt about it.

The cinematography (if you can call it that when it's in animation) was very dark and very greenish: almost like the Hue was off. As expected, I didn't care at all for any of the characters it brought up, especially the guy who stole Lupin's Walther and betrayed him years back. And I also thought it was a bad idea to attempt to kill Pops. That's not to say that couldn't have worked if it was handled differently, but it just felt like an unnecessary addition to this movie.

By far, Island of Assassins is my least favorite Lupin special/movie that I have seen. Although, "Episode 0" comes at a close 2nd.
The whole thing felt dreary on the whole. You could have excised Zenigata from the plot with minimal changes; I hate how he always gets the shaft in this stuff.

djcj

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #403 on: August 30, 2013, 03:11:27 pm »
Just finished watching series 2 episode 137. It's one of the best episodes I've seen for a while. It includes a brilliant heist. I don't want to spoil you, just let me tell you it's focusing on teamwork.

KiraM2345

• Part of the Gang
  • I am your Sapphire Angel- my Lupin OC Kira <3
« Reply #404 on: March 29, 2014, 11:11:23 pm »
Hey there,

Last Lupin movie I watched: Voyage to Danger

Last Lupin episode I saw: Shot Through the Heart

Kinda obsessed with both lol

Ciao for now,

Rachael
Ciao for now,