Author Topic: Last movie/episode you watched?  (Read 211951 times)

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
Re: Last movie/episode you watched?
« Reply #435 on: January 30, 2016, 12:32:14 pm »
In my experience, I got to read the first series' ending by buying TOKYOPOP's English translation of the whole series throughout my high school years. They never finished the second series, so in order to see the ending of THAT one, I went to eBay and bought the Italian translation of the final two volumes, and used Google Translate to get through them.

If you're okay with importing them and can read Italian, I'd recommend waiting for the re-release of the Italian translations that were announced last year, because the English translation of the manga is out of print, and goes for 2-9 times the original price now.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 12:34:28 pm by DrFurball »
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

JAG2045

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #436 on: January 31, 2016, 08:28:46 am »
Yeah, I got that, but...
(click to show/hide)
I think that's what puzzled me.
Here's what I think.
(click to show/hide)

That makes sense though it really wasnt clear in what was shown - maybe they will explain when the episode gets dubbed?

Watched The Italian Dream 1 & 2 which was good, MI6 are turning out to be real bastards! I want to know what there actual plan is now!
Plus Lupin finally got arrested and the next episode looks really interesting with Lupin in a specially made prison

Also watched the Green Jacket episode "Hunt Down the Counterfeiter!" which was alright though nothing special but then I watched it with the commentary by Reed and I liked it more (I didn't catch the Cagliostro connections first time round)

DrFurball

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #437 on: February 17, 2016, 01:22:30 am »
Had a few hours to kill today, so I just started watching a bunch of episodes I'd never seen before.

"The Murdering Marionette" was a fun little tale. Felt like it could be a Monkey Punch story, with its darker tone and
(click to show/hide)
. Lupin, Jigen, Fujiko, AND Goemon all got nice little moments of characterization throughout, and it's probably one of my favorite episodes of Part IV thus far.
(click to show/hide)

"The First Supper" was good. A very interesting way of bringing everyone (literally every recurring character in Part IV) together, and the revelation of the mastermind behind the whole thing has me interested in seeing what happens next.

"$10,000,000 Key" felt like it could be a TV special or theatrical film, with its plot of double-crossing and assassination. Nevertheless, it is an episode from late in Part III's run, so there's plenty of comedic moments to balance the tone. Not my favorite Pink Jacket episode, but it was good.

"Lupin in the Wild West" Dumb, dumb, dumb. A group of hitmen are advertising their services on TV? With a movie-length commercial? And Lupin's so worked up by the fact that he has a love scene with Fujiko that he becomes a complete idiot? (I know he's in love with her, but COME ON) Lupin just HAPPENS to have a spray on him that turns anything as hard as iron? (almost as bad as the "I invest in armor that looks like regular clothing" line from the manga). Such a terrible episode. You can almost hear the writers shrugging and saying "I dunno". (I understand that with an episode airing every week for 155 in a row, that not all are gonna be good, but a bad episode is a bad episode)

Gaff

• Space Pirate
  • Part of the Gang
    • Alan Graham Design & Illustration
« Reply #438 on: February 17, 2016, 06:58:26 pm »
On and off, I've been working my way through the pink jacket season lately.  Recently saw ep11, The Ruby Sheds Tears of Blood, and was quite amused by the caricatures of the vampire characters played by David Bowie and Catherine Deneuve in The Hunger.

DrFurball

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #439 on: February 18, 2016, 01:32:33 pm »
That's a good one. Gotta love that bit where Lupin chases after Fujiko, dragging the bed behind him. Kinda wish they had stayed more true to the original manga version, with
(click to show/hide)
I can understand why they didn't go that route for the anime, but I did find the manga version funnier.

DrFurball

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #440 on: March 31, 2016, 01:24:46 am »
"The Treasure My Grandfather Left Behind". It was all right. The ending was good, and there were some amusing gags throughout, although it did remove the gag of Lupin pulling on what he thought was a trip wire, which I thought was the funniest part of the original manga chapter. The bit about the baseball was also funnier (and more plot-relevant, I think) in Monkey Punch's story as well. Not the best episode, but not bad. (Also, the treasure was gorgeous. No wonder Lupin was going after it!)

"Ice, Robot". I just love this episode so much. So funny.

Akai Shuichi

• Shottogun
  • Part of the Gang
« Reply #441 on: March 31, 2016, 11:15:26 am »
Watched the Zombies in Venice OVA on Part IV Vol 4 Blu-Ray. really enjoyed it.

SurrealBrain

• Part of the Gang
  • Hello there!
« Reply #442 on: April 09, 2016, 05:18:26 am »
Episode 23 of Green Jacket. A good ending to a good series, I must say.

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #443 on: April 09, 2016, 06:01:43 am »
Episode 23 of Green Jacket. A good ending to a good series, I must say.

I agree ! ^^

I think the last episode I saw is Blue Jacket episode 24. :)
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

Rhys2753

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #444 on: April 25, 2016, 06:25:50 pm »
Jigen's Gravestone the other night with some friends.

SurrealBrain

• Part of the Gang
  • Hello there!
« Reply #445 on: April 26, 2016, 12:22:56 am »
Dead or Alive was pretty neat. Just wish Funimation had better masters to work with, though surely Discotek will get them.

DrFurball

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #446 on: April 26, 2016, 10:15:21 pm »
I've got mixed feelings on "Dead or Alive", myself. I think when it's actually about Lupin and the gang, it's awesome. And don't get me wrong, Oleander is a good character, but her subplot took up just as much time (if not more) than the main one, and was really boring in comparison. When it's good (Lupin vs Headhunter, anything with Zenigata) it's great, but there's not enough of it, in my opinion. Then again, maybe I should rewatch it. It's been a while

"Target Was Gone Beyond the Snow Field". A fun episode. Lots of twists and turns and disguises, and all five of the main cast get a chance to shine. Still not too fond of the character designs, but I do have to admit that they're animated really well most of the time.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 10:19:57 pm by DrFurball »

Thief in a Red Jacket

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #447 on: May 05, 2016, 09:43:06 pm »
After watching "World Dissection" Parts 1 & 2...I must say that Part IV is the best Lupin I've seen so far. I haven't even tried to rank my favorites yet, but I'm pretty sure Part IV would sit at #1. (No spoilers) One moment that really put a huge smile on my face was the final scene of the last episode (those who've seen it know what I'm referring to), it's just so damn satisfying. I cannot wait to see what's next in the world of Lupin.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 10:08:49 pm by Thief in a Red Jacket »

SurrealBrain

• Part of the Gang
  • Hello there!
« Reply #448 on: May 20, 2016, 01:59:13 am »
Mystery of Mamo, Streamline English dub. It was a great film, but I wanna see the other three dubs before posting full thoughts.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 02:01:01 am by SurrealBrain »

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #449 on: May 20, 2016, 01:46:59 pm »
Mystery of Mamo, Streamline English dub. It was a great film, but I wanna see the other three dubs before posting full thoughts.

Great idea. Streamline dub was my favorite though. The Pioneer one wasn't really an improvement as everyone's trying to talk at a million words a minute to fit it all in, among other issues. The older two are more novelties IMO, but I enjoy the dated Toho dub.
-R. Nelson