Author Topic: Redoing my Castle of Cagliostro commentary track: Requesting Your Help  (Read 20836 times)

Robotech_Master

• Part of the Gang
Inspired by the announcement of the new DVD/Blu-ray coming out with the commentary by the redoubtable Reed Nelson, I have decided to go through and redo my Castle of Cagliostro MP3 commentary track. Really, I've never been happy with the patchwork nature of how the audio quality jumps back and forth depending on which mic I was using at the time, and am still annoyed at myself for mispronouncing "Lupin" and "Cagliostro" all through it anyway. And I'd like to get it done before the new DVD is out, just so I can have it the best I can make it without having listened to Reed's.

I have fed my commentary through Dragon Naturally Speaking for a baseline transcription, and am now going through and correcting the glitches in the transcription. Once I've got an actual real transcript, I'll then do some edits and such before rerecording it with a single microphone.

So, I would appreciate a little help from the community. If there's some error you noticed I made in the commentary, please let me know what it is. I want to fix it. (For example, I noticed on transcribing it that I somehow managed to talk about the video game Cliff Hanger without once actually naming it. Whoops!)

If there's some neat bit of Lupin III trivia I haven't included (for example, the fact that a princess of Japan modeled her wedding dress after Clarice's), please let me know what it is. I want to put it in.

If you have any other suggestions as to how I can make it better, please let me know.

The current version of the commentary track can be found here. If you're watching it with the SpecEd version, wait until the 13.3 second mark on the commentary to start the film. If you're watching the original Manga version, start it when the weird metal crunchy thing crunches. (What the hell was that thing supposed to be, anyway?)

mikezilla2

• Part of the Gang
will your  track be included on the disc ?

Robotech_Master

• Part of the Gang
Nope. Downloadable and play-along, same as always. I'm sure Reed's commentary will be terrific, looking forward to hearing it myself, but I want to have mine in a final form before the disc comes out just so I know it's the best it can be without having been influenced by his.

mikezilla2

• Part of the Gang
hmm what other lupin com tracks of lupin have you done ? :)

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
Chris' commentary is the one that inspired me to record one for The Fuma Conspiracy, which I recorded about 7 years ago. I don't think Chris has done any other Lupin commentaries, but his track was revolutionary among unofficial fan projects, in my opinion.
-R. Nelson

SherlockJr

• Part of the Gang
  • I specialize in Jigenese
Meadows' commentary is one of the best fan commentaries I've ever heard. It's well-structured and entertaining. Aside from the errors you mentioned, I cannot think of much else you would need to correct.

Arsene Lupin Sansei

• Part of the Gang
I'll need to re-listen to catch anything, but I'm also open to setting up an SRT time for you if you like.  Subs/Captions are important for the D/HoH.

Robotech_Master

• Part of the Gang
When I redo my commentary, I'm going to do it from more of a script rather than speaking off the cuff, so I'll have text available to be subtitled. So we'll see.

I'm still only about a third of the way through transcribing the current version of the thing. Need to sit down and do more of that.

Robotech_Master

• Part of the Gang
Re: Redoing my Castle of Cagliostro commentary track: Requesting Your Help
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 07:19:16 pm »
Just bumping this with a mention that I've finally gotten around to continuing my transcription. I'm about up to the point where the Archbishop's car arrives at the castle. I just have to listen and type and fix errors and stuff in the rest.

Then I'll go through and revise, update, and such. Then I'll rerecord. So, if anyone else notices any other errors or omissions, please let me know. (Though please don't feed me stuff that's already covered in Reed's commentary, which I'm carefully avoiding listening to until I've finished redoing my own. I'd like there to be no more duplication between them than there is already, if possible.)

Robotech_Master

• Part of the Gang
Well, it's taken a lot longer than I intended, but I'm nearly done with the commentary track revision. Expect the new version by this weekend.

Robotech_Master

• Part of the Gang
For people who've been following this thread, here it is.

Robotech_Master

• Part of the Gang
Requesting your help again: go to this Slashdot submission and vote to approve, and we might get my commentary slashdotted. :)