Author Topic: Mine Fujiko To Iu Onna in French !  (Read 3331 times)

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
Mine Fujiko To Iu Onna in French !
« on: February 27, 2016, 11:05:30 pm »
So, this month, a blue-ray/DVD box-set with the complete series was finally available for the
french speaking countries (my home country Switzerland included) and I bought one to myself !

Not only is this the first Lupin-related good I have ever bought in my life but it's also the first Lupin III
animated production to come out in France since a decade, thanks to the works of Maurice Leblanc being in the public
domain.

The french box is rather classy, with sticker cards illustrated by Takeshi Koike and a small artbook. However the DVD menu is very cheaply
made with just the features and the promotional picture as background. Still, french and japanese are available, with or without subtitles.

Now comes the interesting part: the dubbing ! The french have a history of being relatively inconsistent in terms of dubbing anime. You can find
some pearls (Cowboy Bebop, GTO) and less stellar ones. And it is with great disappointment that I must tell you that, at least to me, this dubbing of
Mine Fujiko To Iu Onna is really on the weaker end of the spectrum. It's not atrocious either and they are some good choices in terms of adaptation and the use of a crude language to emphasize the adult nature of the series.

But the performances are a mixed bag. The titular character's voice plays well the sexiness and lassivity of Fujiko but hasn't half the half of the original wittiness and truthfulness of the original. This is a rather common problem with french dubbers who capture one aspect perfectly but completely overlook the others. Goemon's voice is far too young and fresh (even if the character is supposed to be younger), Zenigata is also too high pitched but is voiced by a seasoned voice actor so the performance is decent and Jigen's voice is one the morst choices I've ever heard ! Very high pitched and nasal, a voice better suited for low-class gangsters than the somber and stern Jigen. Really, I don't know what went into the dubbing casting manager's mind.

But Lupin's voice in this dub is downright perfect. While not as crazy and flexible as Kurita Kanichi's, he has the perfect tone for a dashing, slightly arrogant but fun gentleman thief looking for trouble. An excellent choice in my book, even better than his predecessors.

So here you have it. In terms of goods, it's decent and classy, in terms of image and sound quality, it's perfect, and for dub, it's not very good despite some good elements. So to all the french speaking fans in this forum (so, like, three), if you have some money and you want to have a Lupin DVD in your shelf, absolutely go for it ! But you'de better watch it with the subs. ;)
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

VampireNaomi

• Part of the Gang
Re: Mine Fujiko To Iu Onna in French !
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 04:32:23 am »
How is the artbook? Does it feature colour illustrations, or does it also have sketches or storyboarding? I've been dancing around this box set for a while, but as I already have Funimation's release and the Japanese soundtrack, my only reasons for getting it would be the postcards and the artbook.

Red Dear

• Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 12:36:21 pm »
The artbook mainly features the art featured in the cards, broken down to black and white sketches but also a few premilinary sketches of Fujiko and variants of Fujiko's wardrobe as well as Lupin's. This is no "complete concept art book" but it's an interesting was of seeing Koike's art in different steps. :)

Should I makes a few scans or would that be unauthorized ?

VampireNaomi

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 01:10:44 pm »
Thanks, sounds like I won't be needing that box then. If I didn't already have the soundtrack, I might grab it, but the book and cards alone aren't enticing enough.

Red Dear

• Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 04:37:10 pm »
Too bad ! But indeed, if you already have Funimation's release and the soundtrack, you won't really miss anything important.
Glad you commented my topic, though. ^^